Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:52 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Are you possibly confusing sarcasm with derision? No, I don't see any sarcasm, and if I did, I'd be equally wondering why you bother to do it, or what purpose you think you're serving.

And why are you claiming that somehow your alleged use of sarcasm is somehow beyond my capacity to perceive it? Am I too unintelligent to appreciate your wit?

The original poster was asking about things to do in Dallas, potentially about things to see. I was obliging him by answering. Your response seemed pretty disparaging, did it not, comparing my answer to an insincere piece of public relations propaganda? And it was equally disparaging to the city, by minimizing the value of some of its attractions as trivial, in the sense that propaganda is needed to make them seem worthwhile. "Puffery", I think you called it.
Your desire for language precision is only exceeded by your willingness to bang out useless posts trying to get the last word.

And I'm a sarcastic guy. That's just who I am in real life, and sometimes it spills over into my posts. It is what it is...

I didn't deride what Dallas has to offer at all, and if other people think that I did, that certainly wasn't the intention. I'm pretty sure most people realized that.

I'm through with going back and forth about this...

Last edited by grindin; 06-23-2008 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 01:06 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Someone from Seattle can come just as easily come in here and state why they feel their city is superior to Dallas or someone from St. Louis will chime in about how they feel their city is superior to Denver (what is it about Denver that you dislike so much, you seem to deride them quite a bit in your posts.
If Seattle or Denver were obviously and factually better than Dallas, there would be more people moving there, at whatever cost to themselves. The absolute growth of Seattle, comprised of people who would be willing to do anything, take any job, just to be in that wonderful place, would be sky high.

Seattle would be surrounded by refugee camps of folks who would just die for the chance of coming into town to revel in the thrill of just being there.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Your desire for language precision is only exceeded by your willingness to bang out useless posts trying to get the last word.

And I'm a sarcastic guy. That's just who I am in real life, and sometimes it spills over into my posts. It is what it is...

I didn't deride what Dallas has to offer at all, and if other people think that I did, that certainly wasn't the intention. I'm pretty sure most people realized that.

I'm through with going back and forth about this...
I'll let the forum decide how much we like to be around sarcastic and cynical people.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:09 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
North end of White Rock Lake (looking toward Lakewood/Downtown), just south of Flag Pole Hill and Norbuck Park -- trail leads north all the way to LBJ/Hillcrest, trail soon to lead southwest to Downtown: Renovations aim to make White Rock Lake Park trail safer, easier to access | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/033108dnmetwhiterocktrails.373b2d6.html - broken link)

By lakewooder (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/lakewooder - broken link) at 2008-03-31
Great photo. I have no idea how many times I have ridden the trail. Started doing it in since it was constructed. And living in Richardson it is how I get down to the lake. I can take a couple of hours off at lunch and do a quick ride down to the lake, go around and back for a 34 mile ride, before it gets too hot or the ozone gets too high. It is really the gem of Dallas. All this talk about nothing to do in Dallas but sip a drink on your patio, is probably about all they can do.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:34 AM

I don't know if its been mentioned, but there are some interesting events planned in downtown Dallas this summer.

Each tuesday night, there is a free film showing on the giant screens in Victory park, next to the AAC. People bring lawn chairs and coolers and make a picnic out of it. The venue also shows a film, usually opera-related, on one wednesday a month, I believe it is the first wednesday, but I could be wrong.

The Dallas Museum of Art has a jazz concert every thursday night, and other activities afterward, such as lectures, docent tours and such. It's a great party. The Nasher Sculpture museum next door also has late night planned activities. The admission is free in the evening.

Every Friday, the Nasher Sculpture museum has a film showing starting at 9PM. It's a good chance to eat at their cafe, enjoy the garden when the air is cool(er), and then watch a movie.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Victory Park Summer Events

Tuesday Night Movies and Sunday Jazz Brunch

Old 06-27-2008, 03:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
The Girls Volleyball Junior Olympics is in Dallas this weekend.
Top girls volleyball teams in Dallas for Junior Olympics | Latest News | WFAA.com (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa080627_ac_volleyball.45467787.html - broken link)

Then for some MAJOR action one can head up to the super cultural center of the Dallas Metroplex for the GI Joe Collectors Convention. Yep, Joe and his buds are in Frisco.
Video | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas (http://www.dallasnews.com/video/index.html?nvid=258584 - broken link)

Old 06-27-2008, 03:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
More plastic figures in Frisco?

Old 06-27-2008, 03:59 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
More plastic figures in Frisco?
Kung Fu grip and all. I might go to frisco every once in a while for the track racing, but it's a pain when I keep getting hung up in customs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas