Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,292 times

Advertisements

Has anyone got experience of sending their kid to Riverchase pre-K program and can provide any insight on curriculum and learnings, it would be great!

Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 PM

42 posts, read 49,880 times
All the posters asking different questions - use the internet, search the forums, look up apartment ratings, use google maps. Most often your questions will get answered. If not, start a new thread. Try not to hijack or tag on to threads that others have created. 2c.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
Hi, I have recently moved to Irving with my husband currently I am on dependent Visa. Hence cannot get a job. Please can anyone suggest an Indian Community/ group with whom I can associate with. I am currantly staying in MacArthur Blvd, Valley Ranch, Irving.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,144 times
Hi All

we are looking to move dallas with 13y old son ....in next 6 months
please advice on good schools and residential zones

how Indians are doing in business franchisee ?
is it make sense to invest in franchisee?

best
preeti and rahul

Old 07-18-2017, 12:57 PM

317 posts, read 239,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Live in any neighborhood of older homes and you're very unlikely to run into them. By and large they seem to strongly prefer brand-new houses.
I think it may have do it with thinking that the new houses wont have issues and maybe people are not ready to deal with them.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuninja View Post
I think it may have do it with thinking that the new houses wont have issues and maybe people are not ready to deal with them.
I've asked Indian colleagues before why Indians seem to buy only new builds and they gave a range of answers from "new houses are clean" to "new houses don't have problems (HAHAHA)" to "used houses are for poor people."

Old 07-18-2017, 01:34 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,315 times
Quote:
I've asked Indian colleagues before why Indians seem to buy only new builds and they gave a range of answers from "new houses are clean" to "new houses don't have problems (HAHAHA)" to "used houses are for poor people."
I just want to point this out - In India, labor is very cheap, and the build quality of houses is very poor. The land underneath the structure is very expensive, but it's quite common for people to demo houses and start fresh when they buy a property.

This ensures that a) they get the latest updates, b) they can personally supervise the building construction and make sure no corners are cut.

This is very common in India as well as other parts of Asia.

Now, I hope you can understand why they carry this same mentality when they move to the United States. The USA has a very strong "older is better" and "they don't build things like they used to mentality".

This is very different than the way things are built in India - can you blame them? For 50 years, they had state owned industries that built things for the lowest cost, with endemic corruption all the way throughout the process.

You shouldn't look down upon them just because they have this mentality. If you grew up in India, you would also have the same mentality. At the end of the day, they just want a safe spot to raise their families with minimal fuss.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
I just want to point this out - In India, labor is very cheap, and the build quality of houses is very poor. The land underneath the structure is very expensive, but it's quite common for people to demo houses and start fresh when they buy a property.

This ensures that a) they get the latest updates, b) they can personally supervise the building construction and make sure no corners are cut.

Now, I hope you can understand why they carry this same mentality when they move to the United States. The USA has a very strong "older is better" and "they don't build things like they used to mentality".

This is very different than the way things are built in India - can you blame them? For 50 years, they had state owned industries that built things for the lowest cost, with endemic corruption all the way throughout the process.

You shouldn't look down upon them just because they have this mentality. If you grew up in India, you would also have the same mentality. At the end of the day, they just want a safe spot to raise their families with minimal fuss.
Who said I was looking down on them? I'm just pointing out that Indians by and large don't buy older houses...which is an indisputable fact in north Texas.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:53 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,315 times
Quote:
Who said I was looking down on them? I'm just pointing out that Indians by and large don't buy older houses...which is an indisputable fact in north Texas.
Your overall attitude and tone "Older houses don't have issues - HAHAHAHA!" as well as your other posts that have since been removed, are frankly quite condescending.

You won't see it that way, but that's the impression that you are giving off.

Even your claim that "Indians by and large don't buy older houses" - is not an indisputable one. Indians prefer newer builds, but you're not getting a brand new build in Plano anymore. There are many Indians living Central and West Plano that bought older builds.

Indians are moving to Frisco/Irving out of sheer affordability and not necessarily new houses. New houses is a plus, but schools are the deciding factor. Given a new house in a frisco, or a 97 build in Plano, if price is the same, they would prefer to be in Plano.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:55 PM

317 posts, read 239,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post

Not anymore labor in India is also getting expensive,i am not sure where you got the build of quality of houses is poor,now if its built by a builder yes,but if people are building individual houses there will be some one supervising it everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: