Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 10:00 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,215,919 times

Advertisements

Balch Springs is pretty rough, for suburb, but even then you, according to the stats I was looking at Dallas proper still has double the murder rate.

Lets also not forget that you are many many times more likely to be seriously hurt or killed by a stranger driving than as a victim of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
South Irving is pretty bad. Part of Garland is bad too.
Wilmer and Hutchins are horrible.
According to the Data I saw, Wilmer actually had a crime rate below the state average.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:36 AM

11,817 posts, read 26,657,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
According to the Data I saw, Wilmer actually had a crime rate below the state average.
I find that hard to believe. It's also possible that many crimes there go unreported, such as assaults, vehicle burglaries, and drug dealing.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I find that hard to believe. It's also possible that many crimes there go unreported, such as assaults, vehicle burglaries, and drug dealing.
Yeah, idk. I've never been under the impression it was a very dangerous or crime ridden place, it's just a poor and run down small town.

Hutchins certainly has above average crime stats.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:06 PM

307 posts, read 527,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL60 View Post
Grand Prairie/ Arlington along 180 aka Jefferson st., is some of the highest crime areas in the metro plex. All of Mesquite especially south of Hwy 80 is a pit and has never been safe. Anything around Fair Park, anything going down 45 to Wilmer Hutchins. Obviously anything downtown. Pleasant Grove & Balch Springs, anything around Lake June or Dowdy Ferry rd.

DeSoto, Duncanville & Cedar Hill actually are actually not that far down the list despite the socioeconomics & culture of the region. Hispanic parts of Irving will also be bad. General rule of thumb, besides Highland Park is to stay north of 635 if safety is important to you. More money, less diversified, better schools, all lead to being safer .
I always laugh at these crime arguements. A person is more likely to be the victim of a forceful rape in the combined areas of Plano, Frisco, Allen, and McKinney than in the combined southern areas of Cedar Hill, Desoto, Duncanville and Lancaster.

You are more likely to be assaulted in McKinney than Duncanville. You pick your poison, the truth is you are mostly just unlucky to become a victim of crime except in the most extreme crime ridden areas like the inner cities. So I can say, if you want a better chance to be forcefully raped, stay north of 635.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:37 PM

117 posts, read 192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Oh you just have to laugh at it. I was visiting friends in Frisco and some of their friends were asking where I lived (at that time). When I said south of LBJ they looked horrified. Aren't you scared? For heaven's sake I lived in the Preston Hollow area.
I laughed too. I only venture N of 635 if it's for a movie at Look Cinema or to meet a client somewhere in the northern burbs. Everything my family and I do is south of 635, never been killed or raped.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:12 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,449,780 times
I always say be careful of who your friends and family are. Even in what some people say are dangerous areas of town, there's probably very little random violent crime like some other cities. Probably most of the murders are boyfriend has beef with girlfriend....divorce, fooling around, and drugs. Go steal someone's stash and you may get retribution in form of a bullet in the head. Obviously crime can happen anywhere and there are places that probably more dangerous than others....but you can also steer well away from lots of it.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,975,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
I always say be careful of who your friends and family are. Even in what some people say are dangerous areas of town, there's probably very little random violent crime like some other cities. Probably most of the murders are boyfriend has beef with girlfriend....divorce, fooling around, and drugs. Go steal someone's stash and you may get retribution in form of a bullet in the head. Obviously crime can happen anywhere and there are places that probably more dangerous than others....but you can also steer well away from lots of it.
Great points!

As a Dallas native, the crime here is definitely more "personal" compared to the random street crime you see in other major cities. Usually if Rob and Steve have a shootout with James and Mike, it's because they both know each other (drug dealing etc) as opposed to just four random knuckleheads getting heated for fun.

I'd also add that feeling safe is relative. I grew up around Skillman/Audelia/Forest Ln., reputed to be one of the most crime ridden areas of the city. While there was certainly danger, I never felt particularly unsafe. Likely because I grew up in that environment and that's all I knew. Going to South Dallas and certain parts of Oak Cliff, I never felt unsafe except for the random stray pit bull or rottweiler. That honestly scared me more than people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas