Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 09:26 AM

53 posts, read 44,049 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Last year moving to Atlanta was an idea, I did visit and didn't like Atlanta. So I am now considering Dallas. I am looking for city living or a suburb close to the city, this is based on my assumption that the city is considered anything within central Dallas, I could be wrong as I am not familiar with Dallas. I noticed, and this with most cities, is that the closer to the city you are, apartments get smaller and the farther out you go, the apartments are bigger and sometimes cheaper. I live in a studio now and pay $3,000 here in Brooklyn and I can't do it anymore lol. I like the idea of living in an apartment building because it makes me feel safer than living in a small apartment complex, I don't know, big city mentality I guess. I also have a now 11 year old daughter who deserves her own space, so with that said are there any neighborhoods close to central Dallas that offers bigger apartment sizes and slightly cheaper rent? I want to be close to the city if I can't live in the city. I am a young mom (30) who now works from home but I also want to go back to bartending maybe 2 days a week when I move to Dallas, so how is the bar scene/nightlife there, do places stay open late, maybe not New York City late (4 AM) but maybe 1 AM? Also, can someone help me understand what's considered the city and what's considered the suburbs in Dallas, where does the city end and the suburbs begin? Is Downtown the most expensive neighborhood in the city? are the other city neighborhoods that might be cheaper?

Thanks in advance you guys!

Ideal Neighborhood/living Situation:

-Not too quiet lol
-Not too suburb
-Some walkability
-If not living in the city then close proximity/ease of access to the city.
-Safest neighborhoods
-Spacious apartment (not small at least)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 09:50 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Three important questions:
1. Do you need a public school for your 11-year-old?
2. What's your budget for rent?
3. Will you have a car?

Also, what didn't you like about Atlanta when you visited?

To answer your general questions,
1. Bar scene/ nightlife: lots of places spread across multiple districts in the city. I think bars are open until 2am these days.

2. The technical "city" of Dallas more or less is inside the 635 loop, though that's not perfect because it extends far past 635 in some areas. Like Preston Road up almost to 190 (north of downtown) is still the city of Dallas. HOWEVER, 90% of the city of Dallas feels and looks like a suburb- mostly single family homes with front yards, quieter streets, etc. The areas that look and feel urban are close to downtown- downtown, uptown, parts of Oak Lawn.

3. Downtown is not the most expensive part of town nor is it that densely populated or that exciting. It's certainly grown over the years but it's struggled to even keep a grocery store that isn't subsidized though two small ones are in the works. Some people do live there but I can't recommend it especially with a pre-teen. Uptown is more bustling and much more populated but again would be an odd choice with your daughter because the public schools zoned to that neighborhood are terrible - and also the schools the homeless population is zoned to so lots of transient classmates coming in and out during the school year.

I lived in NYC and born and raised in Dallas, now back in Dallas. All I can offer is this: your questions indicate you're trying to replicate your city life in another city and that really won't work. As a mother of a pre-teen, I would think you'd have more questions about school quality, wanting to live in neighborhoods where your daughter will make friends with a good crowd, etc. Also apartment "buildings" are more of a NYC thing. Apartment complexes are what is all over Dallas aside from some high rises in the downtown/Uptown area. There are a few high rises in Highland Park schools (kind of like an UES part of Dallas) that you might be interested in if you can afford them. But you absolutely do NOT need a doorman or to live in a high rise to be safe in Dallas. I'm not trying to criticize or attack you, just trying to empathize that especially with a child there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to attempt to recreate your NYC lifestyle in Dallas. It's just not that kind of city.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:07 AM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times
My opinion is that once you get beyond an 8 to 10 mi radius of downtown Dallas, you are probably getting close to the "suburbs".

Given your child's age (so factoring in the neighborhood schools), probably north Dallas or east/northeast Dallas may be your best bet? Middle schools/High schools tend to not be so good south of downtown, to my knowledge. There are nice cities towards the far northwest Dallas, but they are all pretty suburban.

Others are probably more knowledgeable about this than I am though.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:22 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,345,769 times
With your criteria, I suggest looking at the apartments around Lake Carolyn in Las Colinas (zip code 75039). Its walkable to the rail station, hiking paths, and has some restaurants and a new entertainment district. It is served by Carrollton-Famers Branch schools that are ok — not the top schools but the ones that serve that area are fine. Many of the apartment (complexes) in that area have a lake view and direct access to the walking path around the lake. The Campion Trail backs up to some nice family neighborhoods so your child could have access to other kids. Most apartments in that area are occupied by singles and couples; I do see lots of kids in the restaurants there but don’t think many kids live in the apartmets.

The Las Colinas section of the City of Irving is extremely safe — in fact has its own vigilent seurity force that supplements the City police force. Its about a 20 min drive into the city by car; about 30 min by rail.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:32 AM

937 posts, read 743,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawka1234 View Post
Last year moving to Atlanta was an idea, I did visit and didn't like Atlanta.
What did you not like about Atlanta? Your impressions of Atlanta may help us give you feedback about DFW in terms of if it could be a good fit for what you are looking for.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Three important questions

1. Do you need a public school for your 11-year-old?
2. What's your budget for rent?
3. Will you have a car?

Also, what didn't you like about Atlanta when you visited?

To answer your general questions,
1. Bar scene/ nightlife: lots of places spread across multiple districts in the city. I think bars are open until 2am these days.

2. The technical "city" of Dallas more or less is inside the 635 loop, though that's not perfect because it extends far past 635 in some areas. Like Preston Road up almost to 190 (north of downtown) is still the city of Dallas. HOWEVER, 90% of the city of Dallas feels and looks like a suburb- mostly single family homes with front yards, quieter streets, etc. The areas that look and feel urban are close to downtown- downtown, uptown, parts of Oak Lawn.

3. Downtown is not the most expensive part of town nor is it that densely populated or that exciting. It's certainly grown over the years but it's struggled to even keep a grocery store that isn't subsidized though two small ones are in the works. Some people do live there but I can't recommend it especially with a pre-teen. Uptown is more bustling and much more populated but again would be an odd choice with your daughter because the public schools zoned to that neighborhood are terrible - and also the schools the homeless population is zoned to so lots of transient classmates coming in and out during the school year.

I lived in NYC and born and raised in Dallas, now back in Dallas. All I can offer is this: your questions indicate you're trying to replicate your city life in another city and that really won't work. As a mother of a pre-teen, I would think you'd have more questions about school quality, wanting to live in neighborhoods where your daughter will make friends with a good crowd, etc. Also apartment "buildings" are more of a NYC thing. Apartment complexes are what is all over Dallas aside from some high rises in the downtown/Uptown area. There are a few high rises in Highland Park schools (kind of like an UES part of Dallas) that you might be interested in if you can afford them. But you absolutely do NOT need a doorman or to live in a high rise to be safe in Dallas. I'm not trying to criticize or attack you, just trying to empathize that especially with a child there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to attempt to recreate your NYC lifestyle in Dallas. It's just not that kind of city.

Hi! Thank you replying to post.

No, I don't feel attacked at all lol. My daughter is homeschooled, I already own a car and my budget is 900-1600-ish. I'm not looking for another New York, if that were the case it would be silly to move to another state. I didn't ask about neighborhoods geared towards families because I assume, based off the things I've heard and read about Texas; it being a place where families move to, that there is an abundance of social activities for kids all over etc, that this would be a easy find for us. It isn't a must for us to live in a building, its just what I'm used to and its made me feel safe because it's hard to climb through a window on the 18th floor and break in. Now just because I am used to something doesn't mean I can't adapt to new surroundings.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
My opinion is that once you get beyond an 8 to 10 mi radius of downtown Dallas, you are probably getting close to the "suburbs".

Given your child's age (so factoring in the neighborhood schools), probably north Dallas or east/northeast Dallas may be your best bet? Middle schools/High schools tend to not be so good south of downtown, to my knowledge. There are nice cities towards the far northwest Dallas, but they are all pretty suburban.

Others are probably more knowledgeable about this than I am though.
Thank you for this bit of information. My daughter is homeschool so looking for a great school isn't important. She's socially active, she's always in a program of some sort where's she able to learn and be around kids her age, she also goes to summer camp every summer for 2 weeks... I am sure Texas have many options for kids in comparison to what available in New York New York.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
With your criteria, I suggest looking at the apartments around Lake Carolyn in Las Colinas (zip code 75039). Its walkable to the rail station, hiking paths, and has some restaurants and a new entertainment district. It is served by Carrollton-Famers Branch schools that are ok — not the top schools but the ones that serve that area are fine. Many of the apartment (complexes) in that area have a lake view and direct access to the walking path around the lake. The Campion Trail backs up to some nice family neighborhoods so your child could have access to other kids. Most apartments in that area are occupied by singles and couples; I do see lots of kids in the restaurants there but don’t think many kids live in the apartmets.

The Las Colinas section of the City of Irving is extremely safe — in fact has its own vigilent seurity force that supplements the City police force. Its about a 20 min drive into the city by car; about 30 min by rail.

This is good to know! thank you! What do you think is the price range for rent in that area??

Old 07-03-2018, 03:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
1600ish will get you a nice 1-bdrm apt. Not sure about 2 bdrms. Dallas is not as cheap as it used to be.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:18 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawka1234 View Post
This is good to know! thank you! What do you think is the price range for rent in that area??
https://www.olympusproperty.com/olym...-tx/floorplans

Looks like a 2 bedroom 1 bath 1100 sq ft starts at $1400 at the olympus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: