Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2020, 11:04 AM

562 posts, read 547,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I would look at Murphy, it's split between Plano ISD and Wylie ISD. Plus it's right next door to Richardson.
Lots of newer homes in your budget range as well.

There are a lot of new home developments in Plano that borders on Murphy off Plano Parkway with Plano ISD schools, and is also very convenient to Richardson.

Then you have a portion of Richardson that is zoned to Plano ISD schools and is next to Murphy as well. Zip code 75082.

The pandemic wont last forever, and once traffic is back to normal, you will hate yourself when you realize the options you could have had.
Agreed. I like the Wylie/Sache/Murphy idea to be honest.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...83751177_zpid/

Just using that house as an example you get public schools that are top 5% in the nation, your at least 2x closer to your job, and a simliar house in Frisco (age/sq footage) on average would be 50-60k higher. If you where even fine going slightly older (Muphy has tons of 2005 to 2010 stock) you'd get an even better bang for your buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
Sorry, but Richardson ISD is not comparable to Plano and Frisco ISD IMO.
Not sure why you would say this. In your budget almost all of the elementary schools in RISD that you'd be looking at are top 3% in the nation and both of the major highschools (Richardson and Pearce) are ranked fringe top 5% in the nation.

The difference between a top 5% Richardson school and a top 2% frisco school is going to be so minimial. Class selection and what you do outside of school hours are going to be WAY bigger factors than the difference between any of those 3 school districts. lol at very solid school district with a much longer history of excellence being "not even comparable"

Last edited by mastershake575; 08-26-2020 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 11:31 AM

427 posts, read 487,294 times
Quote:
Here's my criteria with the budget:

1. Need Top ISD (parent in 30s with two young kids, one will go to school within 3 years)
2. Safe area with less crime
3. Newer home with 4k+ sq ft (10 years or less)
4. Commute has to be within 45 minutes each way (Richardson to north Frisco takes about 30 minutes for me and I am totally fine with my commute. I am an early bird so traffic won't be an issue post pandemic)
5. Property Tax rate has to be low 2.4% or less

I could only come up with Frisco and West Plano matching all points but West Plano does not have many newer homes within my budget.

Feel free to add more options if you think they fit my criteria.
I saw you said you want to be within Frisco ISD - that is fine. But if you are open to others, check West Allen 75013. Excellent schools, easy access to West Plano/Frisco/DNT/Legacy West via 121 and easy, quick access to Richardson and Central/East Plano via 75 (also free access). It fits all your criteria. Very safe, top rated schools, you will get a new home or relatively new one, good parks, recreation centers, better residential feel surrounded by everything you need.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 08-26-2020 at 11:44 AM..

Old 08-26-2020, 11:46 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,382,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
I saw you said you want to be within Frisco ISD - that is fine. But if you are open to others, check West Allen 75013. Excellent schools, easy access to West Plano/Frisco/DNT/Tollway via 121 and easy access to Richardson and Central Plano via 75 (also free access). It fits all your criteria. Very safe, top rated schools, you will get a new home or relatively new one, good parks, recreation centers, better residential feel surrounded by everything you need.
If the objective is to greatly improve his commute, then moving to Allen defeats that purpose. Allen is only slightly better than Frisco if commute is to Allen. From Allen, you would have to jump on 75 and slog through the heaviest traffic through Plano to get to Richardson. There are closer cities that cut all that out. But I do agree that Allen offers most of what Frisco has, only thing is the schools are a completely different set up compared to Frisco so OP would have to really research if he likes the way Allen schools work.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
If the objective is to greatly improve his commute, then moving to Allen defeats that purpose. Allen is only slightly better than Frisco if commute is to Allen. From Allen, you would have to jump on 75 and slog through the heaviest traffic through Plano to get to Richardson. There are closer cities that cut all that out. But I do agree that Allen offers most of what Frisco has, only thing is the schools are a completely different set up compared to Frisco so OP would have to really research if he likes the way Allen schools work.
Common biafra, Allen is not slightly better, it is "much" better to access Richardson via 75 or even through inner roads compared to Frisco. The only way from Frisco is DNT, also crowded, heaviest traffic during rush hours, and it matters where in Frisco, as Frisco is large and depending on where in Frisco, school zones etc. some times it can also take a long time just to get on to DNT or 121. It is not the case in Allen especially, 75013 triangular area (tucked between 75 and 121 intersection) is small and you can get on to either 121 or 75 (free) relatively quickly and within minutes. Regarding schools, Elementary and Middle schools in 75013 are excellent and top rated, you can do all the research. Allen high is huge and different setup, there are few unique features, some like it, some don't..but OP has a very long way before his/her kids get into high school. At any time, way better than any of Richardson or Wylie schools. If anyone wants to argue, go and do the research yourself on any statistics, instead of derailing this thread.

However, based on the criteria, I just gave a suggestion to consider, just in case if OP is willing to look at other places outside of Frisco and West Plano for more choices.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 08-26-2020 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-26-2020, 12:04 PM

618 posts, read 643,049 times
Quote:
Here's my criteria with the budget:

1. Need Top ISD (parent in 30s with two young kids, one will go to school within 3 years)
2. Safe area with less crime
3. Newer home with 4k+ sq ft (10 years or less)
4. Commute has to be within 45 minutes each way (Richardson to north Frisco takes about 30 minutes for me and I am totally fine with my commute. I am an early bird so traffic won't be an issue post pandemic)
5. Property Tax rate has to be low 2.4% or less

I could only come up with Frisco and West Plano matching all points but West Plano does not have many newer homes within my budget.

Feel free to add more options if you think they fit my criteria.
It sounds like your heart is set on Frisco. I'd create a separate thread to get input from people familiar with that area. The only thing that I know about Frisco (from many recent NextDoor threads) is that many of the neighborhoods and schools are a majority/minority demographic with very high percentage of South Asian families moving there. To some, it sounds like that has been a deterrent. It was surprising/interesting to me.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
It sounds like your heart is set on Frisco. I'd create a separate thread to get input from people familiar with that area. The only thing that I know about Frisco (from many recent NextDoor threads) is that many of the neighborhoods and schools are a majority/minority demographic with very high percentage of South Asian families moving there. To some, it sounds like that has been a deterrent. It was surprising/interesting to me.
good point to note to make sure that is OK..to some it is ok, to some it is not.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:44 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,153,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Yes, if dallas_cowboy is really set on Frisco, I would advise buying in SE Frisco to shorten the commute. As you pointed out, that area is majority South Asian (especially in new build neighborhoods). This will have pros and cons that need to be considered. The schools will be competitive, that's for sure.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:21 PM

213 posts, read 181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
good point to note to make sure that is OK..to some it is ok, to some it is not.
It's the main reason we did not look in Frisco. Also, the new constructions that often seems low quality for the price, and very small lots. Can reach out your window and touch the neighbor's house some places. If I worked in Frisco I might have considered, but the scenario discussed here is redic IMO.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:05 AM

83 posts, read 95,952 times
I am searching for property in the plano and surrounding area. I have tried to read some of the posts here and feel helpful.
One quick question when I was reading about those seller offer posts:
When buyer in DFW sends the offer, do buyer agents typically call up the seller agent to negotiate the price first before drawing the contract?

I didn't buy before here in Texas. But in previous state I bought, they tend to get the prices agreed upon first.
A couple of weeks ago, I put out an offer, and my agent did the full contract and then seller rejected the offer outright. feels like waste of time for all the paperwork she was doing. Just not sure how it is typically done, since right now there are multiple offers usually, wouldn't make sense to agree on prices first?
I am not sure if it is just she is green as an agent?

Old 08-30-2020, 08:21 PM

213 posts, read 181,264 times
I believe it could be either way. You might have stuff in the contract that makes the offer more/less desirable (financing, earnest amount, dates, inventory you'd like to keep, special contingencies, etc.). If it has been on the market for a while, then I agree that you can agree first since it seems to not be a lot of interest from other buyers. But if it just hit the market and you want to offer, then going straight to sending a bid is the way to go. First mover, and harder to reject a formal document than a text.

And realtors can comment on this, but I don't think preparing an offer is THAT much paper work. Probably pretty cut and paste, or filling in a template.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas