Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2021, 09:43 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It would also probably help if he wasn’t declining showings…

I really don’t understand some people.
I started declining showings because I got tired of people wasting my time. I have kids and a dog that I have to get situated for every showing. Agents come late and expect me to wait on them. I've had people show up and take 2 mins to look and say something in the feedback like "We wanted two masters". Do these people even read the MLS? No house in our neighborhood is like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 11:00 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,085,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
Household income will increase (due to higher paying jobs moving here and people working remote from other states) but wages of more standard jobs won't keep up.

For example 10 years ago you could own a house in my parents neighborhood on a single firefighter salary. Now you need at least 1.5-1.7x there current salary to be able to afford that same area. The salaries of firefighters won't increase in 2025 to be able to buy a house in that area it will simply be a case of firefighters can't buy into that area anymore (wages for more mid level jobs will get priced out by higher paying transplant jobs).

If you currently can't afford things in your current profession then your ability to buy a house will simply get replaced by professions that can (income will increase but not in the sense of working a job that won't cut it and the profession will pay you alot more in 5 years )
Then how will cities get firefighters in those areas?

Old 07-17-2021, 11:37 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Household income will increase (due to higher paying jobs moving here and people working remote from other states) but wages of more standard jobs won't keep up.
Actually the winter storm has many people thinking twice about Texas. People are dependent on electricity more than ever!

Any company/industry and workers without deep roots in Texas are likely to pack up and leave for somewhere served by the federal grid.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:29 AM

565 posts, read 558,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Via having a spouse that also works full time (dual income) or commuting from a much less desirable area (EX: Richardson cop/firefighter can't afford Richardson so they commute from old parts of Garland/Carrollton since that's more in there price range ).

Same thing happens in the Nicer parts of Dallas. Office I worked at years ago in North Dallas literally nobody owned a house in Dallas, it was all commuttes from like Garland, Carrollton, Sache, Grand Praire. They've done articles and surveys over the years noting how few Dallas workers (teachers and cops) that actually live in the Dallas due mostly to price

Last edited by mastershake575; 07-18-2021 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-18-2021, 11:03 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,085,566 times
Quote:
Via having a spouse that also works full time (dual income) or commuting from a much less desirable area (EX: Richardson cop/firefighter can't afford Richardson so they commute from old parts of Garland/Carrollton since that's more in there price range ).

Same thing happens in the Nicer parts of Dallas. Office I worked at years ago in North Dallas literally nobody owned a house in Dallas, it was all commuttes from like Garland, Carrollton, Sache, Grand Praire. They've done articles and surveys over the years noting how few Dallas workers (teachers and cops) that actually live in the Dallas due mostly to price
Those people would have to be quite committed to their jobs. I would never do that. It is true though that most owners in the higher cost areas are dual income. I saw where Frisco had one of the highest shares of dual income households in the country, and it's probably even higher since that was published.

I think this market is actually harder on the second time buyers than the first-time buyers because the gap for anything at all better than what one has will have risen to a drastically higher rate than it used to be. The last year has been so crazy that a 20-25 percent increase in value in the last year alone is effectively a decrease in value.

Old 07-18-2021, 01:14 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I started declining showings because I got tired of people wasting my time. I have kids and a dog that I have to get situated for every showing. Agents come late and expect me to wait on them. I've had people show up and take 2 mins to look and say something in the feedback like "We wanted two masters". Do these people even read the MLS? No house in our neighborhood is like that.
Buyers and agents are often incredibly rude. When we were selling last year, my agent called at 8 am on a Saturday morning and begged for an 8:30 appointment. I pushed it back to 9 am. Ran around making beds, turning on lights, scooping the pool, etc. The people showed up at 9 am and never even came inside because they “didn’t like the neighborhood.” Just one story out of dozens.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:58 AM

159 posts, read 93,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post
If you believe prices in 2025 will be insane relative to 2020, and that 2030 will be insane relative to 2025, that suggests you believe incomes are going to rise commensurately and consistently enough to support these large increases? Prices can't rise beyond ability to pay.
No it doesn't, and no I don't. Incomes have not kept up for decades and that hasn't stopped the real estate market from skyrocketing constantly. This is the entire reason why people want mandated minimum wages - because incomes are not keeping up with cost of living. It doesn't dictate prices - supply and demand does.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:50 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS' spending spree is going to result in a *lot* of inflation in the next five years, so prices will look much different in 2025.
Fixed that for you.

No matter who is in office, spending goes up one way or the other. GOP shifts a little more to defense and then tax cuts for rich people while the Dems spend more on entitlement programs and the like.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:31 AM

565 posts, read 558,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EonBlueSyZ View Post
No it doesn't, and no I don't. Incomes have not kept up for decades and that hasn't stopped the real estate market from skyrocketing constantly. This is the entire reason why people want mandated minimum wages - because incomes are not keeping up with cost of living. It doesn't dictate prices - supply and demand does.
Agreed. From like 1999 to 2018 the median household income only went up a couple thousand dollars. Income won't keep up what will happen is DFW (like almost every single top 15 metroplex in the US) will become prodiminately upper-middle class and higher if you want good residental housing.

People will say it's not fair or unsustainable but reality is DFW is just becoming the price of what most elite metros cost (go to any major West Coast or Northeast metro and see what a suburb with low crime and top 10% schools in the nation cost then come back and try to complain that houses in central Plano cost 400k is unfair)

Old 07-19-2021, 10:37 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
How are there fast food workers in Southlake or baristas in Highland Park? Every expensive area has workers who couldn't afford to live in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas