Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 08:49 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times

Advertisements

Housing is all about luck and timing, buying low and selling high is what makes real estate investment lucrative. However, this shouldn’t apply to your residence. Unless you put your family into a cheap apartment instead of renting a similar home you would’ve bought, you are not making more by renting and investing. It’s all about priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 09:54 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
"Past results not a guarantee for future performance" - standard disclaimer - applicable for anything and applicable for real estate also. Price increases seen in last 5+ years was not the norm. So, anything can happen.
Wrong. And you proved my point. If you had lived here longer, you would know that the last five years were a correction of a deviation from the norm.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:03 AM

932 posts, read 543,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Housing is all about luck and timing, buying low and selling high is what makes real estate investment lucrative. However, this shouldn’t apply to your residence. Unless you put your family into a cheap apartment instead of renting a similar home you would’ve bought, you are not making more by renting and investing. It’s all about priorities.
Good. You have better understanding than majority of Homeowners.

Residence isn't an investment. Its a liability.

You will have to do a pro and con assessment while buying a house and not buy it just based on emotions.

Everyone's situation is different. And its all about priorities.

My priority is to make sure that my family isn't cash strapped and live a decent lifestyle to have good memories. This cannot be achieved by buying a house since it would handicap me by not letting me invest.

My investments have lead to the generation of passive income which supplements my salary each month.
We live a much better lifestyle compared to how we would have lived if we had a house.

It gives us great flexibility. Few more years down, I don't have to work to support my family and I am still in my early 30s. I would still work till I drop dead since I love what I do.....but you get my point.

I find more luxury in a 'Cheap' apartment compared to owning a house at this point.
I have already explained why. It needs a paradigm shift in your way of thinking.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:22 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
Good. You have better understanding than majority of Homeowners.

Residence isn't an investment. Its a liability.
This is a ridiculous statement.

Quote:
My priority is to make sure that my family isn't cash strapped and live a decent lifestyle to have good memories. This cannot be achieved by buying a house since it would handicap me by not letting me invest.
Your income doesn't let you do both. That's not a rent/purchase argument. At the end of the day, you're spending money on housing. If it's on rent - that is a sunk cost, but does have its benefits (no maintenance costs, flexibility, etc.)

Quote:

My investments have lead to the generation of passive income which supplements my salary each month.
We live a much better lifestyle compared to how we would have lived if we had a house.
My RE investments generate enough income to replace my salary, and have some liquidity in the principal.

Quote:
I find more luxury in a 'Cheap' apartment compared to owning a house at this point.
I have already explained why. It needs a paradigm shift in your way of thinking.
And I hate sharing walls and not having a BBQ pit, so there's no way I'd rent an apartment. My quality of life is more important to me. See, you're making the mistake of thinking there's only one way to skin a cat. You're doing what your income allows you to do, based on your priorities. That's making a decision based on emotions - and it's what everyone does.

There's simply no one answer - everyone's situation is different.

Last edited by RoamingTX; 10-30-2018 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 09:38 AM

964 posts, read 876,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post

Your income doesn't let you do both. That's not a rent/purchase argument. At the end of the day, you're spending money on housing. If it's on rent - that is a sunk cost, but does have its benefits (no maintenance costs, flexibility, etc.)

My RE investments generate enough income to replace my salary, and have some liquidity in the principal.

And I hate sharing walls and not having a BBQ pit, so ther's no way I'd rent an apartment. My quality of life is more important to me. See, you're making the mistake of thinking there's only one way to skin a cat. You're doing what your income allows you to do, based on your priorities. That's making a decision based on emotions - and it's what everyone does.

This is a really good post

Old 10-30-2018, 09:44 AM

207 posts, read 206,746 times
Quote:

And I hate sharing walls and not having a BBQ pit, so ther's no way I'd rent an apartment. My quality of life is more important to me. See, you're making the mistake of thinking there's only one way to skin a cat. You're doing what your income allows you to do, based on your priorities. That's making a decision based on emotions - and it's what everyone does.

Owning a house never be an investment in USA in 90% of places unless you timed the market.

Each one thinks differently, priorties are different. Everyone look at happiness in different ways. One thinks buying a house makes him happy. Other one thinks going to world tour makes him happy and some wants to hold cash for future generation etc. No discussions there.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:47 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Good Lord we've got a lot of clueless people talking about real estate in here.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:10 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Good Lord we've got a lot of clueless people talking about real estate in here.
No joke. I’ve been struck speechless by some of the above comments and trust me I’m not speechless often.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:

For the first part, I have already explained in my previous posts,

Let me do it again...

My rent is less than property tax ,insurance and maintenance for a house which gets thrown away anyways.

My savings per month are principal + interest + difference in utility and water bills.
This gets invested into Mutual funds that generate 7% annually

Other things that I haven't added into the equation is the wastage like additional furniture and stuff we buy to 'fill' up the house.

For the second part.....to each his own.
If having a BBQ pit and not sharing a wall is worth that much for you....sure go ahead.
Here is a good analogy regarding that

The Twenty Dollar Swim

Old 10-30-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
This is a really good post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas