Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 01:00 PM

349 posts, read 379,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The agent we used to sell our house in NC is in the top 1% nationally and also has only 5 star reviews. We have sold 5 houses and never had an experience this bad. I filed a complaint with the NC Board of Realtors. (Not that it went anywhere). Complete nightmare.
Oh wow, I'd like to hear more. What happened?

I'm a highly detailed person, so I caught all of the mistakes. I kept asking myself, though, how much trouble this agent must create for buyers who don't pay attention and trust the agent to get it all right (which is most buyers).

Moral: READ YOUR CONTRACTS YOURSELF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 01:24 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djslakor View Post
Oh wow, I'd like to hear more. What happened?

I'm a highly detailed person, so I caught all of the mistakes. I kept asking myself, though, how much trouble this agent must create for buyers who don't pay attention and trust the agent to get it all right (which is most buyers).

Moral: READ YOUR CONTRACTS YOURSELF!
By the end of the ordeal, it was clear to us that our agent knew and was possibly related to the buyer, but she did not disclose that or recuse herself. The buyer was represented by a different agent in the same agency. Every time there was a negotiation (after the offer price; we got a full price offer) a 3rd agent stepped in to relay information back and forth. Our agent would vanish for days at a time.

The inspection period was a nightmare. We had a couple of issues that came up and we agreed to fix them and promptly did so. But aside from those genuine issues, the buyers asked for a ridiculous punch out list. For example, the inspection report came back saying that one of two lightbulbs in the microwave (over the stove) was burned out. There was only ever one lightbulb, and only space for one lightbulb. So we couldn't have put two light bulbs in if we tried. The buyer came back asking for a new microwave that would hold two lightbulbs. I am not kidding. And it was 20 more things just like that.

The buyer didn't get their inspections done in a timely manner and our agent wouldn't pressure them. We had multiple offers so we weren't in a desperate situation. We also had a generous relocation package so we weren't pressured financially. When we would complain to our agent that all of this was ridiculous, she would send very intimidating and threatening texts in reply.

It came to a head over the air conditioner. We had a perfectly functioning Geo thermal system that was inspected multiple times. The buyers wrote in a clause that we would agree to pay any amount (open ended amount) to repair or replace the perfectly functioning system as long as they owned the home.

We made it clear they could *^%# themselves and that the agent was fired as of the next morning (I already had another agent scheduled). They ended up signing the papers within 30 minutes.

Even after that it was horrible. There were things the relocation company had to deal with that no one should ever have to deal with.

Sorry it's so long. I could go on for 3 more pages. I still get very upset every time I think about it.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:17 AM

318 posts, read 337,758 times
Mortgage rates cane down substantially out of nowhere WOW
Powell said today no rate hikes
Job growth was double than expected

Would not count on a crash anytime soon, just try to find you a deal on a used home based on comps, don’t be afraid of doing some work, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION it worked for me.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
Mortgage rates cane down substantially out of nowhere WOW
Powell said today no rate hikes
Job growth was double than expected

Would not count on a crash anytime soon, just try to find you a deal on a used home based on comps, don’t be afraid of doing some work, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION it worked for me.
I think we'll see a pick up in the housing market now as a result. People see this as another opportunity to lock in a great rate. Meanwhile, prices will continue going up and up while crazyforger tells us the sky is falling.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:35 AM

932 posts, read 543,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djslakor View Post
I think we'll see a pick up in the housing market now as a result. People see this as another opportunity to lock in a great rate. Meanwhile, prices will continue going up and up while crazyforger tells us the sky is falling.
I never said sky is falling. You assumed it due to your lack of knowledge
I will continue to rent happily

https://www.reddit.com/r/simplelivin...for_life_here/

https://jlcollinsnh.com/2013/05/29/w...le-investment/

Last edited by crazyforger; 01-04-2019 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 02:21 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
I never said sky is falling. You assumed it due to your lack of knowledge
I will continue to rent happily

https://www.reddit.com/r/simplelivin...for_life_here/

https://jlcollinsnh.com/2013/05/29/w...le-investment/
If all that were true, what kind of sucker would be a landlord?

Old 01-04-2019, 05:19 PM

932 posts, read 543,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If all that were true, what kind of sucker would be a landlord?
Landlords do make money.....but it still works out for renters.
Because, if you want to buy a house, you will have to buy something taking into account your future need and in a good school district. While renting, you can upgrade as your family grows

Most of the floor plans available today are absolute crap which involves lot of wastage. Renting is more efficient and you will share the expenses of the building with your neighbors.

And it's easier to manage multiple units by landlord whose jobs is to look after his units....than for one guy to take care of the entire house while being employed.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:16 AM

213 posts, read 183,402 times
Dude, we get it. You like to rent, and it works for you. Great! For most people looking at buying, renting is a sub-par alternative. Personally, we have 3 young kids entering school over the next few years. No way in hell I'd rent long-term in a situation like that, and this is the case for most people buying. Owning has a lot of non-monetary benefits that don't fit in an Excel sheet.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:36 AM

54 posts, read 84,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
Landlords do make money.....but it still works out for renters.
Because, if you want to buy a house, you will have to buy something taking into account your future need and in a good school district. While renting, you can upgrade as your family grows

Most of the floor plans available today are absolute crap which involves lot of wastage. Renting is more efficient and you will share the expenses of the building with your neighbors.

And it's easier to manage multiple units by landlord whose jobs is to look after his units....than for one guy to take care of the entire house while being employed.
So now not only are you making quesrionable assumptions about the finances of renting, you're assuming everyone would rent in a multi-family building like an apartment or duplex? Now you're really leaving out a lot of the downsides of renting.

And the idea that you can "upgrade" as your family grows... Get ready to pay for that, since you didn't lock in your housing cost at an earlier point in time. And hope your landlord doesn't non-renew your lease, or you can find another house at a reasonable price in the same school zone in a short period of time. And doing that whole search and move "while being employed" since it's concerning to you how much free time someone might have available to deal with house matters.

Renting has a lot of upsides, but your arguments for it long term for an individual, especially with a family, are just non-sensical in terms of finances and hassle.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAvery815 View Post
So now not only are you making quesrionable assumptions about the finances of renting, you're assuming everyone would rent in a multi-family building like an apartment or duplex? Now you're really leaving out a lot of the downsides of renting.

And the idea that you can "upgrade" as your family grows... Get ready to pay for that, since you didn't lock in your housing cost at an earlier point in time. And hope your landlord doesn't non-renew your lease, or you can find another house at a reasonable price in the same school zone in a short period of time. And doing that whole search and move "while being employed" since it's concerning to you how much free time someone might have available to deal with house matters.

Renting has a lot of upsides, but your arguments for it long term for an individual, especially with a family, are just non-sensical in terms of finances and hassle.
Most of what he says is non-sensical. Does CDF have an ignore member option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas