Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2023, 03:55 AM

63 posts, read 80,512 times

Advertisements

I have a traditional brick home and I don't like the color of the brick. I don't like the look of stone either. My contractor charges me same to build outdoor kitchen whether we do stucco finish or brick/stone. My question is, is it possible that in future stucco kitchen in a brick and stone elevation home hurt resale? Or make house less desirable when we sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 05:01 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Midwest View Post
I have a traditional brick home and I don't like the color of the brick. I don't like the look of stone either. My contractor charges me same to build outdoor kitchen whether we do stucco finish or brick/stone. My question is, is it possible that in future stucco kitchen in a brick and stone elevation home hurt resale? Or make house less desirable when we sale?

Peoples' preferences are as varied as the shape of rain drops. What some like others will dislike. If you are undertaking a major project you should make the choice that pleases you since you will need to live with it until you sell. Of course that reasoning is sans some weird choices (stucco is not weird) that basically almost all people would not find appealing.

Having said that stucco might well be a better choice since trying to match existing brick/stone can be difficult and as the home ages that problem becomes more difficult. This is due to the manufacturing lots of brick changing colors/shades and stone being mined from a different location with different variations from the existing stone. Also as a home ages not only can the brick and stone take on other visible characteristics the mortar itself can change shades slightly. All of these make matching the existing veneer a little more challenging.

Old 09-12-2023, 05:19 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Be sure to choose a Neutral Stucco color like a light tan. Avoid the bright yellows, ect.

A nice neutral color will blend in and you should be alright if tastefully done.

But you might also look at the neutral stones. If you build a fire pit / grill smoker be sure and don't build it under the roof line. I've seen too many that are soot covered. Mine is about 6 feet from our overed patio and when I cook I still make sure I use fans to disperse the smoke.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:55 AM

772 posts, read 934,074 times
The number of contractors around here who can do stucco right is limited. Almost every home I've seen with a stucco finish in north TX ends up developing mold and rotting away underneath. This is just an outdoor kitchen, but I think you'd be better served with a stone look, and I'd argue that more buyers would prefer stone over stucco for future resale.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:57 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,664,836 times
Well, you'll probably end up painting all the brick white with black trim anyway, so why not just do that?

Old 09-12-2023, 08:19 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,168,001 times
I would do real stucco, not EIFS. Something like an outdoor kitchen is a good candidate for stucco over concrete block. That's cost-effective and will look much better than EIFS (and last forever). That will avoid the mold issues Thomas Crown mentioned above, which were an issue with EIFS rather than real stucco.

There's nothing wrong aesthetically with mixing stucco and brick. Like anything, it all comes down to the execution.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:32 AM

588 posts, read 485,923 times
Its fine to use either stucco or or good quality EIFS. Just use an experienced contractor. If possible, use some of the similar bricks as trim or design element on this kitchen to aesthetically tie it with the main house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas