Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 06:28 AM

511 posts, read 400,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I find this interesting. We moved to Littleton CO for a year 2015-2016. Our neighbors came right over on moving day and helped. Even helped me vacate a large wasp nest out of our tree. neighbors from 4 houses all came over day one and we stood in the street and talked all night and all became good people wtih each other. Have not found that since... even when moving back home to MN from, then Moving to Tampa to be by friends and family .....

My wife and I also joined a bowling league with 5 man teams. Scary when you do not know a single soul..
They all welcomed us right in and we became quite good friends with a dozen or so people and got to know many others too.

Everywhere I went in the Denver area i found it easy to relate with people and be cordial. I even made some friends there which is something that is really hard to do now days

We lived in Arlington Tx 2 times. Also considering going back Currently because we like the people there. We found it easy to converse there with others, but also found it to be a little like MN where the natives had their circles established already and will be nice to you and talk with you but not always include you in their gatherings. The transplants are always skeptical. Usually closed off
There are too many transplants here in Austin. Southern hospitality is nowhere to be found in this area. It almost feels like somewhere in Southern California to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
There are too many transplants here in Austin. Southern hospitality is nowhere to be found in this area. It almost feels like somewhere in Southern California to be honest.
Dallas is definitely getting to the point that Austin is at, as far as feeling more like a satellite of Southern California than a city in Texas. Even cost of living wise, since all the Southern California folks flooding DFW are bringing their Southern California prices and cost of living with them. That is especially true when it comes to the housing market. Folks who make very good salaries on paper are getting priced out of DFW left and right these days. Basically, the same thing that happened to Austin is now happening to DFW. Thanks a lot, Rick Perry!

Old 08-07-2018, 11:58 AM

454 posts, read 763,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Been to NYC once and I thought the people were quite rude. I see how they get the reputation.
That's so funny-everywhere I go in NY it seems like someone strikes up a conversation. I've even been invited to a family's holiday dinner-people I sat next to at a hockey game!

Old 08-12-2018, 10:22 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
That's so funny-everywhere I go in NY it seems like someone strikes up a conversation. I've even been invited to a family's holiday dinner-people I sat next to at a hockey game!
It's probably the vibes you put out that makes people feel comfortable enough to strike up a conversation with you. If a stranger comes across with a vibe that's relaxed and open and interested, most folks will respond to that person with those same vibes. I'm guessing those are the types of vibes that generate from you when you're in public.

A stranger who comes across with a vibe that's reserved or pre-occupied, uninterested, dreary or on edge about something, most people will most likely leave that person alone.

I believe it's usually all about the vibes that determines how 1 stranger is with another stranger when their paths cross, no matter what region of the country they come from.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:44 PM

186 posts, read 158,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Idk, I think often times Texans like to think of things that arn't exclusive to Texas as exclusive to Texas.

I drive alot, for work, to see family, just for fun, and it's a big mix. Some people at gas stations in the country in Texas a friendly, some are not. I was recently in Southern Missouri for a wedding and everyone except one person I encountered (getting food, getting gas checking into the hotel, etc) was really friendly, it's a slower pace of life. I got more waves in 2 days than I've gotten in months in Texas.

No that long ago I stopped in Glen Rose for gas, and the lady at the gas station was not friendly at all. Judging by her accent she seemed to be a native. Same story in Decatur and Cleburne,. Actually, the friendliest people I encounter in gas stations in Texas tend to be immigrants.

I've met "friendly and talkative" people as well as "Reserved but polite" and "Downright rude" in MN, TX, NV, MA, TN, ID, WA and everywhere in-between all over the country. I think the regional stereo types do exist for a reason, but they aren't universal rules. I've met plenty of native Texans who are braggard Jerks.

I think Dallas is fairly friendly for a large city, but by and large people are in more of a hurry here than most of the country. It makes sense, it's the 4th biggest metro. Sometimes you catch a clerk on a slow day.

In my experience it's a mixed bag, and Texas hasn't cornered the market on friendliness.
To be clear, I wasn't referring to Dallas, specifically. I was also recalling (mostly, but not entirely) a time that is now gone. Nor did I mean to make it seem that this is some sort of utopia. But compared to my experiences in Georgia and California, I'll stay here thanks.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:46 PM

186 posts, read 158,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
My experience was people in Atlanta were as friendly or friendlier than Texans, though I was only there for a few months....
Can't say the same, nor would my wife. My ten year old still recalls being called a "marshmallow" and generally being hassled for her caucasian-ness.

There a few were exceptions, but not many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas