Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:24 PM

80 posts, read 73,267 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the replies! I drove thru both Las Colinas and Kessler Park today. I see positives to both, but I must say Kessler Park blew me away. I just love it. So beautiful. Being close by would provide a walking area with rolling hills and gorgeous homes.
There is a new brewery near Trinity Groves with it's roots in Oregon. Made my day. I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Best,

Autumn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 04:26 PM

11,848 posts, read 26,840,844 times
I'm glad to hear of the Tom Thumb. I honestly wasn't aware it was there. That's a perfectly fine grocery store for the OP.

Personally, I am not a fan of Whole Foods ("Whole Paycheck") or organic markets as they are horribly overpriced.

Central Market's new locations are at Midway and NW Hwy (Preston Hollow) and in Uptown. As far as I can find on their website, no location in NOC is on the drawing board.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,273,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I'm glad to hear of the Tom Thumb. I honestly wasn't aware it was there. That's a perfectly fine grocery store for the OP.

Personally, I am not a fan of Whole Foods ("Whole Paycheck") or organic markets as they are horribly overpriced.

Central Market's new locations are at Midway and NW Hwy (Preston Hollow) and in Uptown. As far as I can find on their website, no location in NOC is on the drawing board.
That Tom Thumb has been there for probably 20 years, if not longer. Kessler has always been a nice neighborhood since it was built. It never fell into disrepair.

HEB bought the site last summer.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...land-oak-cliff
It’s expected to break ground when the 1000’s of new apartment units open at the end of this year.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:10 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,168,313 times
The Oak Cliff Tom Thumb can't compare to some of their stores in North Dallas but it's fine for basics. When/if Central Market opens, that will be a game-changer for retail in the area.

As for Whole Foods, there's also one on McKinney Ave. in Uptown. Depending on where you're coming from south of the Trinity, it may be closer than the Oak Lawn location.

In addition to Cox, there's also an Aldi on Fort Worth Avenue.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:10 PM

989 posts, read 2,439,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
The Oak Cliff Tom Thumb can't compare to some of their stores in North Dallas but it's fine for basics. When/if Central Market opens, that will be a game-changer for retail in the area.

As for Whole Foods, there's also one on McKinney Ave. in Uptown. Depending on where you're coming from south of the Trinity, it may be closer than the Oak Lawn location.

In addition to Cox, there's also an Aldi on Fort Worth Avenue.

I'm going to be honest, the Tom Thumb in Oak Cliff on Hampton kind of sucks. Parking is a chore, prices are somewhat high (vs say, Kroger), and the meat is not good quality (unsure about their produce). It's an acceptable store, I guess, but I'd rather drive 10-15 minutes north to a better grocery store and shopping experience.

The Aldi on Ft. Worth isn't very good either, IMO.

The Whole Foods on McKinney in Uptown is pretty easy to get to, especially from Kessler Park. Their prices seem more reasonable since Amazon took over.

One of the biggest complaints I hear about NOC is the lack of good grocery stores, but hopefully the coming Central Market will help remedy that. The Sylvan-Thirty organic grocer and new butcher (expensive though) may also help.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:32 PM

188 posts, read 230,478 times
There is a bunch of development going on in Dallas just south of 30. Like in this area: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7603914,-96.8336568,15z

However...be aware that the crime rate has been high in this area in the past so do your homework. Lots of good people and places in the area so if it checks out it might be a home-run. 25 yrs ago "uptown" got the same ratings...

Old 07-22-2018, 07:46 PM

80 posts, read 73,267 times
Thank you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas