Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 10:54 PM

11 posts, read 15,951 times

Advertisements

I am considering getting a high roof cargo van likes of Mercedes sprinter or Dodge promaster as a toy hauler. I am wondering how do you guys protect your van from hail damage if you are in HOA neighborhood that does not allow a carport.

We own 3 vehicles and all of them were badly hit by hail the first year we moved from CA so we are very concerned about getting hit by another one again.

Since we are in HOA neighborhood, building a car port is our of question. The HOA we are in seems somewhat looser and association's rules do allow building a detached garage, but I highly doubt they actually allows it as I have never seen one in HOA neighborhoods. Not to mention that the garage we would be building would be more of a RV garage due to the height of the van so the chance of approval would be even less.

How about building a Patio cover and use it as a carport when the hail hits or (during the hail season)? Would HOA notice it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 11:19 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butasan View Post
I am considering getting a high roof cargo van likes of Mercedes sprinter or Dodge promaster as a toy hauler. I am wondering how do you guys protect your van from hail damage if you are in HOA neighborhood that does not allow a carport.

We own 3 vehicles and all of them were badly hit by hail the first year we moved from CA so we are very concerned about getting hit by another one again.

Since we are in HOA neighborhood, building a car port is our of question. The HOA we are in seems somewhat looser and association's rules do allow building a detached garage, but I highly doubt they actually allows it as I have never seen one in HOA neighborhoods. Not to mention that the garage we would be building would be more of a RV garage due to the height of the van so the chance of approval would be even less.

How about building a Patio cover and use it as a carport when the hail hits or (during the hail season)? Would HOA notice it?
My guess is the HOA will ask why you want to build a really tall, so far as the opening, patio cover or detached garage with an 8ft or taller door.

IMO HOAs hate RVs and a big vans and accouterments because they simply don't look good. People across the way live in a multimillion dollar gorgeous modern home..........right next to their place their neighbor keeps a giant crappy looking RV that nearly never moves. The RV is the most dominating feature along that part of the street. Obviously, that neighborhood has a very weak HOA.

That said I have a Sprinter at one of my businesses - if you get one you'll need to add a back up camera and put in some sort of spray in liner or sacrificial carpet less for protection but more to quiet the thing down some and don't get a "tall" version unless you have too. The talls are a real handful in the wind.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:42 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Most HOA's have an Architectural Review that you must submit your plans to and they must be approved. I've seen people put in Carports, improper shingles, ect and the HOA tell them they must be removed since they did not get permission and they don't met the rules. I had a client who had to remove a brand new $6000 roof because he used the wrong not approved shingles.

I keep my cars in my garage and rent a covered space in Lewisville to keep my RV.

I was in the auto glass business for 20 years and worked many a hail storm. I learned in the spring to watch the storms and when to make sure my cars were in the garage. With 3 cars I would just make sure the worst car was the one left out.

And I keep my Comp insurance deductible low to cover hail damage.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Read your covenants. The patio cover may not work if the vehicle is visible from street and neighboring properties. Rent covered RV parking with 24/7 accessible surveillance.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:13 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
I've previously owned a Sprinter (never again, nothing but a nightmare vehicle) and currently own a Transit. I watch those specific forums too, hail damage is rare but happens. Clearly the best solution is covered parking of Any sort, you'll have to ask the HOA what's acceptable if you want on-site parking else look for off-site. If you want the van on-site but can't have a permanent shelter, consider asking about temporary offerings (more or less poles that stay in the ground, though you can have poles that slot into fittings that stay in the ground) that you put up and take down as the weather demands. If that's a no-go, then you need to look at either temporary coverings like a padded car cover, or more permanent like a safari-style roof (second sacrificial layer above the roof) using the OEM mounts for the roof rack. This tends to be solar panels and cargo boxes for the people on the forums I watch, since most of the chatter is about DIY conversion vans, but there's no reason you couldn't simply bolt down a sheet of anything.

FWIW, after owning a Sprinter my considerations for a replacement changed. The Sprinter, while a lovely van in a lot of ways, was a mechanical nightmare from the get-go. Getting it serviced was a nightmare (I bought a used Dodge branded Sprinter) as there are Very few places willing to work on them. Getting Parts was a nightmare, with the overwhelming majority coming from the UK (more on the road over there). With those experiences, I quickly ruled out yet another Sprinter (nevermind the price), but also the Dodge/Fiat offering as it's in the exact same boat as the original Sprinter offering.... a EU van converted for US use, but without the support network. That left the Nissan, which was vetoed by the wife due to looks, and the Transit. I only have about 2k miles on the Transit, but it was quieter as new, empty, with no sound deadening than my Sprinter was AFTER $1000 worth of materials to sound-deaden it. It also drives WAY better, though with a bigger turning radius (making parking lots more of a PITA). Plus, there's a Ford dealer/mechanic in every town across the country, the drivetrain is used on other Fords (I have the 3.5L ecoboost) so lots of parts availability. Not saying my choice is the right one for everyone, but if you're going to buy one, seriously evaluate the options. Another FWIW, there's a brand new Transit due out next year (2020 model year) that's designed with a more US-centric layout (current is an alteration from the EU market).

Old 07-24-2018, 08:16 AM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I've previously owned a Sprinter (never again, nothing but a nightmare vehicle) and currently own a Transit. I watch those specific forums too, hail damage is rare but happens. Clearly the best solution is covered parking of Any sort, you'll have to ask the HOA what's acceptable if you want on-site parking else look for off-site. If you want the van on-site but can't have a permanent shelter, consider asking about temporary offerings (more or less poles that stay in the ground, though you can have poles that slot into fittings that stay in the ground) that you put up and take down as the weather demands. If that's a no-go, then you need to look at either temporary coverings like a padded car cover, or more permanent like a safari-style roof (second sacrificial layer above the roof) using the OEM mounts for the roof rack. This tends to be solar panels and cargo boxes for the people on the forums I watch, since most of the chatter is about DIY conversion vans, but there's no reason you couldn't simply bolt down a sheet of anything.

FWIW, after owning a Sprinter my considerations for a replacement changed. The Sprinter, while a lovely van in a lot of ways, was a mechanical nightmare from the get-go. Getting it serviced was a nightmare (I bought a used Dodge branded Sprinter) as there are Very few places willing to work on them. Getting Parts was a nightmare, with the overwhelming majority coming from the UK (more on the road over there). With those experiences, I quickly ruled out yet another Sprinter (nevermind the price), but also the Dodge/Fiat offering as it's in the exact same boat as the original Sprinter offering.... a EU van converted for US use, but without the support network. That left the Nissan, which was vetoed by the wife due to looks, and the Transit. I only have about 2k miles on the Transit, but it was quieter as new, empty, with no sound deadening than my Sprinter was AFTER $1000 worth of materials to sound-deaden it. It also drives WAY better, though with a bigger turning radius (making parking lots more of a PITA). Plus, there's a Ford dealer/mechanic in every town across the country, the drivetrain is used on other Fords (I have the 3.5L ecoboost) so lots of parts availability. Not saying my choice is the right one for everyone, but if you're going to buy one, seriously evaluate the options. Another FWIW, there's a brand new Transit due out next year (2020 model year) that's designed with a more US-centric layout (current is an alteration from the EU market).
Not sure what issues you had but FIAT and Mercedes each have very large local distribution centers with most every part. Our Sprinter is a '13 with ~225,000 tough miles on the clock - we've never had to wait for a part. There are also a bunch of great service locations around here. The Transit has significantly less volume - shorter, less tall, carries less weight etc. Ergo it should ride better.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:11 PM

11 posts, read 15,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

I do watch those forums too and am fully aware of the issues many of sprinter owners have had, but it just looks good compared to offerings from the other manufacturers. I wouldn't even consider a sprinter if it's for business, but for once or twice a week recreational usage, I can live with its unreliability. If it's a Transit, I would need a long body, but 148" wheelbase looks awful with LB. Nissan NV cargo is Not of this World ugly.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:33 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,314,226 times
Call me crazy, and I know you say you've been burned by hail damage before, but it's not really all that common. Spending money on protecting your vehicles beyond good, low deductible insurance seems like a waste. If garage space is available, that's great, but I wouldn't go out of my way for anything too elaborate. I've been driving in this area for 26 years and I've had exactly one vehicle damaged by hail that wasn't serious enough to get repaired. And I've rarely kept my cars under cover and can't recall a time where doing so prevented damage. In my 16 years before that, none of my parent's cars were damaged by hail. I'm not saying hail is completely uncommon, but it's not near as common as many around here would have you think.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:12 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Not sure what issues you had but FIAT and Mercedes each have very large local distribution centers with most every part. Our Sprinter is a '13 with ~225,000 tough miles on the clock - we've never had to wait for a part. There are also a bunch of great service locations around here. The Transit has significantly less volume - shorter, less tall, carries less weight etc. Ergo it should ride better.

My main problem was that it was a Dodge branded product. When Dodge split company in 2006 (ish), they orphaned the Sprinter. MB dealers could get me Some parts, but most refused unless I gave a VIN and refused when that VIN didn't show a MB product. Wouldn't know about service as I've been a mechanic for a couple decades, but the horror stories of people being on the road somewhere and their only assistance being from fellow forum members was quite the turn-off as I kept having more and more issues that made the van less and less reliable.

Real world, the 130 high roof T1n Sprinter and the 148 medium roof Transit are substantially similar. Sprinter had maybe another inch interior height, and about 3" less length. It drives better, is quieter and more economical to drive (diesel to gas, fuel prices, etc...). The kicker is the $10,000 price difference.

I never did see anyone on the Sprinter forum/yahoo group who'd come from the Transit or new Dodge/Fiat, but half the people on the Transit forum came from a Sprinter. Anecdotal, yes. Plenty of people on the Sprinter forum also never had issues, I'm sure. The number of "problem" threads on Sprinters though, vs those on Transits... major difference.

It's always all about your particular wants and needs. I was just trying to point out to the OP to not go light on the research. I don't care what they buy, just hate for someone to blindly buy into something and regret it when I could have said something that helped them make a possibly better decision. On that front, I think there's supposed to be yet another brand entering the US market soon (looks substantially like the Transit on the outisde) that's rumored to be cheaper... Hino maybe? I forget, but it might be worth finding out if your plans are more than a year out till purchase.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:16 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Why don't you buy some moving blankets/quilts and keep them in a convenient place, then throw them over the top of the thing when you hear the hail? If you are in one place and it's in another, obviously that won't help, but it is better than nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas