Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 01:13 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,661 times

Advertisements

The request, as mentioned is impossible. Anything within 10 miles of downtown, even remotely close to the budget listed, is going to be built in the 1960's and 1970's - that's when those areas were developed!

Even if you move further out - Frisco, for example, there's only 20 homes in the entire city that fit "house under 275k built after the year 2000". These homes are more than 30 miles away from downtown Dallas.

So OP, please refine your criteria and we can be more helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 02:21 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Keep in mind a good home, priced $220-270 with good potential will probably get 10-20 offers when it hits the market. If $270 is the most you can afford you might limit your search to $260 and give yourself some room to bid above asking price if needed.

You need a good RE agent who can guide you. This is a tough price range.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:57 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Correct.

The point I was making is that "good, safe" and "excellent investment potential" will rarely coexist, and they sure aren't going to coexist under $270k near downtown Dallas.
There are some neighborhoods in North Oak Cliff that are a better bet - and safer- than that part of East Dallas. Specifically thinking about the area tucked between Bishop Arts and Wynewood, the redevelopment is coming from both sides so it will turn quicker than Munger & 30 will.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:57 AM

10 posts, read 7,916 times
You will need to go east toward Mesquite - Forney to get a nice house fro $270.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:17 AM

11 posts, read 14,479 times
Thank you everyone for your input and insights. I’ve had a chance to look at several properties since then and learned so much in the process. This is my first home so I really had no idea what to expect. I’ve been looking in some of the areas mentioned above, east Plano and Richardson.

Recently though I came across a property in east Dallas off Ferguson and directly across to Dallas athletic club. It’s an older home, 1970s, it’s a fixer upper and needs some updating but it’s priced under 200k and has great porenti. The neighborhood looks to be quiet and lined with beautiful trees. It’s also close to white rock lake which is a huge plus for me. .

Any input on that area? My concern is that I hear mixed opinions about East Dallas which has me hesitating. I like the location. It’s very central, less than 20 mins to downtown, Addison and Plano. However safety and appreciation are big factors for me. I can compromise on age of home. So my question, Is this a good area to buy? Is it safe? Do you recommend it especially to a solo female?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 09-21-2018, 02:25 AM

11 posts, read 14,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There are some neighborhoods in North Oak Cliff that are a better bet - and safer- than that part of East Dallas. Specifically thinking about the area tucked between Bishop Arts and Wynewood, the redevelopment is coming from both sides so it will turn quicker than Munger & 30 will.
Hi TurtleCreek, you seem to know Dallas very well and offer great advice. I would like your input on the area i mentioned above and the area you mentioned can you provide the zip codes? Thank you kindly

Old 09-21-2018, 04:26 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
You need to look at the Dallas Police online crime maps and see what's going on in that neighborhood, and determine how much risk you are comfortable with. http://communitycrimemap.com/?agency=Dallas,%20TX

Look around at the surrounding areas, too. Where wil you go to buy groceries? What is it like after dark? I can tell you the nearby apartments on Woodmeadow are horrible, and they have been that way for decades.

Also, since this is a fixer upper from the 70s, you need a really good home inspection before you make a decision. You could be dealing with lead paint, aluminum wiring, asbestos, etc. Don't buy the money pit!

Old 09-21-2018, 07:23 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bintaasun View Post
Hi TurtleCreek, you seem to know Dallas very well and offer great advice. I would like your input on the area i mentioned above and the area you mentioned can you provide the zip codes? Thank you kindly
The are you mentioned is Far East Dallas. I really don’t know much about the neighborhoods that Far East. That’s basically Mesquite.

The area I mentioned in North Oak Cliff might be in 75208 or the next zip east. Check the map.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
I think that’s close to Casa View; not Mesquite. I don’t know that area well enough to comment.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:54 AM

487 posts, read 467,700 times
Since you only work 10% in Richardson why not expand your search into the northern burbs where you would be safer and can meet your budget requirements. To look at your primary home as an investment will involve risk, upgrades needed, the type of hood, future surrounding development, etc...

My grandma told me you can't always have the cake and eat it too. She was a Smart Lady who grew up in the Depression.

BTW, if you post here and want FREE advice, be gracious that people are taking time to help you. Reality is and we all have to accept it and hopefully help each other to make the BEST of LIFE.

I myself, DIG this forum and LOVE that people are FREE to express themselves and share their knowledge base! Helps me learn more!

May you find your Home Sweet Home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas