Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 05:17 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickaboom View Post
Thanks, I am definitely having trouble sorting out our motives lol!

The SE recommended new piers and mudjacking once or twice, as well as extensive landscaping work and root barriers.

It sounds as if your PE has specified extensive repairs. I would hope these have all been handled during the option period with appropriate concessions?

We are closing in three weeks so I don't know if these things could be done that quickly, but I don't want to deal with doing it after we move in.

The work can be performed that quickly but the chances of that happening is small.

Our realtor did mention that none of it *has* to be done so I guess there's the option of just doing none of it? It mostly to correct and prevent further damage to the foundation.

Yes you can do absolutely nothing and hope no further movement or damage occurs. However even if nothing occurs in the next 3 months you will still be revisiting the issue when you choose to sell the home.

Regarding the sewer line- the inspector said it was near/past the end of how long they typically last, but mentioned water was running easily. I asked for a scope (this is standard where we are from) but was told it wasn't possible... ?

From your descriptions I expect this to be an older home and possibly one equipped with cast iron waste lines. A good quality cast iron pipe, properly installed, and under proper conditions can last 100 years. However it is not common to obtain all three of the conditions above. As for scoping the lines it is very much possible and I would highly advise scoping not only the main sewer drain from house to street but also the main house drain and branches under the foundation.

I only mentioned purchase price/kitchen for resale- I can basically live with anything. For a rental, we need at least 4 beds and want a pool in a specific feeder area for schools and haven't found anything yet. We could just choose anywhere with good schools (or give up on the pool) but were hoping not to have long commutes.
I guess the most important thing is we don't want to deal with a house that has a lot of hassle/risk involved with fixing it- we have children and both work and won't be in the house long enough to warrant both the financial cost as well as emotional/time cost.

This has already been a helpful exercise so thanks for your input!

Answers in blue above.

From your descriptions it appears you have already answered your original question of whether or not to proceed. The only issue with canceling the sale is if you can walk away without a large dollar loss. From your description unless you have an atypical contract it sounds as if you have passed your option period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 6,761 times
escabian, thanks. We actually still are in option period, thankfully

Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickaboom View Post
escabian, thanks. We actually still are in option period, thankfully
For me, it depends on where the house is since you’ll only be here for 3 years. In UP/HP and Lakewood (and *maybe* a small handful of other prime spots), there’s always going to be a builder (if it’s an old house / desirable lot) or someone clamoring to move in for the schools (if you’re buying at the bottom end of the market, price point wise). In those situations, if you love everything else about the house, I’d try to get a seller concession for foundation repair and pray the pipes hold put for 3 years.

If you’re buying almost anywhere else, I’d probably walk.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:33 PM

487 posts, read 467,007 times
I never understand why people pay money for other people's problems with houses especially if they don't have the ability and knowledge to fix them. I get calls like this after the fact and then folks "freak" when they get estimates on fixing it the "right" way. IMO nowhere is worth these problems as it would take the pleasure out of living. Why put yourself thru this? I really don't get it.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:03 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
If you rent even a besic house for $2k, you'll end up paying roughly $75k in rent over three years. If house you are interested in isn't overpriced, has price appreciation potential in next three years, even after spending some on fixing it you may make profit, specially if its in a good school district and within 1/2 hour drive from main job hubs. Its a game of smart calculation. Paying mortgage and fixing house builds acuity, rent goes down the drain. However, renting is stress free with no homeownership responsibilities. It depends what you want during this phase of your life.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:45 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
No pool is worth that much stress/hassle/money especially if you're only planning to stay a few years. Walk away.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
In general, most people that rent out houses don't want to deal with the liability of having a pool (and maintenance issues).
Not true for higher value rentals. Lanlords carry good insurance and usually send their own cleaners to maintain pools. I think for folks who never had a pool and feel intidimated by having to maintain one, rentals with pools can be a good way to enjoy homes with their own pools.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:09 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
1) Sewer lines don't have a "service life".

2) If there's a problem with a sewer line, it's usually localized to one spot, and the repair consists of digging a big hole and repairing. Hundreds of dollars, to be sure, but not the kind of thing that will break you financially.

Of course if there is a problem on a slab house under the slab then the cost to repair will go up a lot.

3) It sounds like the house is a slab (mention of "mudjacking") so I am thinking it's most likely PVC sewer which is resistant to root infiltration.

4) I would be a lot more concerned about the foundation. Personally I would avoid any slab house that is not post-tensioned type or one of the more advanced types recently developed. For a tract house with regular rebar slab built in the late 60s through early 80s, with identified problems and a history of repair, I would only be making a low ball offer. Even if you don't experience any issues, everyone in North Texas knows about slab foundations and problems with them and re-sale will always be affected one way or another.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:44 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
1) Sewer lines don't have a "service life".
Everything has a service life, which is is nothing more than a general estimate how long it will last. It's probably not cast iron, but rather clay. It's about $3000 to replace the portion that is in your lawn. If they have to continue under your house, then that's when it gets insanely expensive.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:58 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
I simply cannot give input, tho I am familiar with all the issues and know Dallas like the back of my hand, without knowing the schools and the general price of the house. For most homes, I’d say walk away. But for a few areas, it may be fine to proceed with the sale.

FYI, I once bought a house with a “lifetime warranty” on a repaired foundation that had failed. The previous work, however, had only been on the west and north sides of the house and when the original company came to inspect to do warranty work, they claimed the reason for failure was the house needed bolstering around the whole house. They offered a price to do the other sides of the house, and include the warranty work for the 2 previously done sides, that exceeded other quotes I obtained for the entire house. Lesson learned for me regarding foundation warranties.

I would be extremely hesitant to proceed with an old house without getting the pipes scoped. Never have heard of a situation where this was not possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: