Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:24 PM

371 posts, read 553,835 times

Advertisements

And yet another thread devolves into H-1B bashing. There are separate forums for that too...

To the OP - yes, Frisco is worth looking at (and so are Plano, Allen, and the gazillion other suburbs around DFW).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 05:26 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
To the OP - yes, Frisco is worth looking at (and so are Plano, Allen, and the gazillion other suburbs around DFW).
Yes.

There are job openings in all of them. Which one is any given person likely to get? You don't know until you've checked them all.

And the fact also is that in the Dallas area, you're going to drive. You might have a short drive to work to your first job, not necessarily to your second job.

Or you might have a long drive to your first job and later find another job closer to your home.

And in either case, you're going to do a lot of driving around Dallas as a fact of life.

That's just the way Dallas is.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:01 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer1 View Post
Like budget, $500k+

what you expect for the money, great house and location

job locations, centrally located

desired commute times, can be on the high side
If you want a great house and location, that means the City of Dallas.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
This program needs a complete rehaul and stricter regulations.
It needs to be ended.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:11 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
That's exactly how it works, especially broadly. If your wife's organization and the others in her industry paid more, after the appropriate number of years there would be more qualified people from the US. However, importing people keeps wages down and makes those field less attractive.

Technical wages in the US have not been rising faster than inflation for 20 years. The last 12-18 months don't mean much in view of that long term trend. When you need something and there's not enough of it, you pay more.
1). Mark this thread and look at it when the next recession hits and we'll revisit.

2). My wife's company generally and her department in particular pay exceptionally well.

3). So far as technical wages go. I'm fairly sure if you were to gage real wage growth + increased non-wage compensation + improved perks inflation adjusted total compensation is up over the X years in technical areas.

The non-wage compensation thing applies to many millions of Americans.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup. There may be a shortage of people who are willing to work 60-80 hours per week for crap wages, but there's no shortage of engineers or programmers in this country.
There's also no shortage of lawyers and law students and other smart people who would switch fields if the salaries justified it.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's not how it works at least not broadly.

I'm pulling this from memory and will correct any errors later....real wages across all sectors in all metros except Chicago have been down the last 12 or 18 mos. That will likely reverse as we head towards the end of this economic cycle.

And there most definitely are tech/STEM internal shortages across several areas medical research and clinical medicine being two. We simply do not graduate enough MDs and especially medical research Ph.Ds, IIRC something like 40% of these workers were born outside The US.

My wife recruits IT talent every day. Across the country she has a very hard time finding what she calls A+, A and A- talent.
And that is entirely a function of her paying less than market wages. If you pay them, they will come.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes.

There are job openings in all of them. Which one is any given person likely to get? You don't know until you've checked them all.

And the fact also is that in the Dallas area, you're going to drive. You might have a short drive to work to your first job, not necessarily to your second job.

Or you might have a long drive to your first job and later find another job closer to your home.

And in either case, you're going to do a lot of driving around Dallas as a fact of life.

That's just the way Dallas is.
No, it's not. I've lived in Dallas for 27 years and put maybe 150,000 miles on my cars.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
And that is entirely a function of her paying less than market wages. If you pay them, they will come.
Negative.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, it's not. I've lived in Dallas for 27 years and put maybe 150,000 miles on my cars.
On this I agree with you. My wife's car is almost exactly 5yo and has 33.5K miles. My car is 2yrs. 9 mos. old and has 21.1K on the clock.

Nearly everyone around here who drives a lot does so by choice not necessity. I have zero sympathy for people who want to live in North Plano/Frisco/Rockwall etc. and work say downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas