Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 11:51 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
You better preach. I can recall many of Houston's rap stars from Acres Homes like myself: Slim Thug (moved to Acres Homes as a teenager, went to Eisenhower HS), Paul Wall, Lil Mario, 50/50 Twin, and many others. Then Houston's mayor Sylvester Turner grew up in AH. I can name many other influential people who grew up in my old hood.
I also knew of the 5th Ward due to listening to the Geto Boys when I was younger

Old 08-16-2018, 02:03 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Aretha Franklin has passed away. RESPECT!

Old 08-16-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Aretha Franklin has passed away. RESPECT!
In spite of our differences of opinions on this topic, I certainly agree with this. RIP, Queen.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:31 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
The Third and Fifth Wards along with Acres Homes are actually pretty well known outside of Texas...I heard of them growing up in Southern California as a kid and people I've met in places like Atlanta and DC have some passing knowledge of them. Also, the most popular Black Female pop star out right now grew up in the middle of the Third Ward, so the neighborhood has a lot of recognition due to that.
Keyword is HEARD.....

Old 08-16-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Keyword is HEARD.....
As usual, you miss the point because you lack reading comprehension or understand context clues, which was Acreshomes44 question about which city has more well-known/nationally recognized Historically Black neighborhoods. I provided an answer in that context as an outsider and provided anecdotes from people I know in other parts of the country and why the Third Ward would definitely be well-known nowadays. You’re the one who misinterpreted their question as which ones were more “popular,” which isn’t necessarily the same thing. The neighborhoods that Acres named in Houston are far more well known than the historically black neighborhoods in Dallas (which are often mistakenly lumped together as “South Dallas,” while some people might name Oak Cliff) much less Fort Worth. I’ve “heard” of neighborhoods such as Fair Park or Stop six, but that doesn’t make them well-known or popular. Learn the difference before you call yourself trying to school someone. NEXT CALLER!!!

Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
As usual, you miss the point because you lack reading comprehension or understand context clues, which was Acreshomes44 question about which city has more well-known/nationally recognized Historically Black neighborhoods. I provided an answer in that context as an outsider and provided anecdotes from people I know in other parts of the country and why the Third Ward would definitely be well-known nowadays. You’re the one who misinterpreted their question as which ones were more “popular,” which isn’t necessarily the same thing. The neighborhoods that Acres named in Houston are far more well known than the historically black neighborhoods in Dallas (which are often mistakenly lumped together as “South Dallas,” while some people might name Oak Cliff) much less Fort Worth. I’ve “heard” of neighborhoods such as Fair Park or Stop six, but that doesn’t make them well-known or popular. Learn the difference before you call yourself trying to school someone. NEXT CALLER!!!
calm down........My point still stands.....NEXT CALLER!!!

Old 08-17-2018, 06:04 AM

52 posts, read 46,242 times
I've lived in Dallas for the past 6 years. Visited Houston last year for a few days and I think Houston is more established for AA's, but not by a wide margin. Whoever said earlier in the thread that many AA's in Dallas are "just there" hit the nail on the head. You do have a few cultural events, but for the sizable AA population and history Dallas has, it doesn't have as much for us as I'd expect.

Also, question for the Houstonians, are there are decent middle class black neighborhood/cities in Houston, akin to a DeSoto or Duncanville in DFW? I (and I'm sure the OP) am looking for something a little better than south oak cliff or Acres to raise a family.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconndoitt View Post
I've lived in Dallas for the past 6 years. Visited Houston last year for a few days and I think Houston is more established for AA's, but not by a wide margin. Whoever said earlier in the thread that many AA's in Dallas are "just there" hit the nail on the head. You do have a few cultural events, but for the sizable AA population and history Dallas has, it doesn't have as much for us as I'd expect.

Also, question for the Houstonians, are there are decent middle class black neighborhood/cities in Houston, akin to a DeSoto or Duncanville in DFW? I (and I'm sure the OP) am looking for something a little better than south oak cliff or Acres to raise a family.
Missouri City immediately comes to mind. Lots of middle class blacks also have moved over to Pearland over the past decade or so.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:09 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconndoitt View Post

You and some others my jump on my head, but I think the margin between Houston and Dallas is wider than “not by a wide margin.”

To your question, Missouri City, Pearland, Fresno, Stafford, and parts of Richmond are similar to DeSoto and Duncanville. However, the city of Houston has the same population as Dallas County, which means that some areas in the city have middle class black neighborhoods like Third Ward around the bayou. There are places like Spring, Humble, Atascocita, and 1960 W on the northside that have large middle class black areas. In many others, there’s an even split among the 4 races like parts of Cypress, Katy, and the Energy Corridor.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:14 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Saying black DFW is just there is very offensive, especially to someone that has strong pride in where they come from. Your basically ignoring their very existence and contributions to the black community and American society as whole. The DFW area has a rich black history and has contributed greatly to American society.

I grew up in Eastwood another predominately black community just south of the stop 6 area. I went to the Paul Laurence Dunbar High School in the historic Stop Six community. There is a legendary black basketball coach that coached at Dunbar High school named Coach Robert Hughes. He won 3 state Championship at Dunbar and 2 at the original black high school in Fort Worth IM Terrell that existed during segregation. Coach Hughes was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2017, which was long over due. He has a street named after him in the Stop 6 community. He also has a documentary called Relentless that I hope will come out soon. The Stop 6 black community is Fort Worth most known African American Community. It got its name from being the 6th stop on the train to Dallas. Stop 6 has an annual stop 6 day in which the community celebrates its history and pride.

The Lake Como community is a historic black community in West Fort Worth. This community is extremely prideful and take after legendary Fort Worth community activist Viola Pitts, who was described as a fiery and effective activist. She has been described as the unofficial mayor of Como. She helped her community fight off gentrification, and helped Como receive better funding for the Como community center, elementary school, and streets in Como.
Fort Worth native William “Bill” McDonald was the first black millionaire in Texas. He found his fortune in Fort Worth through banking. McDonald, known to many at the time as “Gooseneck”, owned a bank in a bustling part of Downtown Fort Worth. It is said that McDonald stood tall in stature and was respected across the state. It is also said that McDonald was there trying to have an impact within the black community as well. During the Great Depression, when some of the white banks got in trouble, they had to depend of Bill McDonald to bail them out.

Fort Worth black community also has a rich history in music. Yes, Jazz great Ornette Coleman came out of Fort Worth, TX. The formation of the Fort Worth Avant-Garde jazz movement was ultimately the product of the innovative genius of Ornette Coleman. Coleman, born and raised in Fort Worth, created a major break in jazz during the late 1950s. With his famous West Coast quartet—which included Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, Billy Higgins, and Ed Blackwell—he began to experiment with a new basis for improvisation. Instead of improvising scales on top of the harmonies of a song, as had been done since the advent of bebop in the mid-1940s, he allowed himself and his musicians to choose their own harmonic structures. And yes Ornette Coleman did attend high school at the original Fort Worth black high school IM Terrell.

Fort Worth black community has also contributed greatly to gospel music. Kirk Franklin, Darrell Blair, Tamela Mann, and David Mann all came straight out of Fort Worth, TX and attended O.D. Wyatt high school. O.D. Wyatt choir director Jewell Faye Kelly is widely celebrated in Fort Worth because she was a hell of a choir director and greatly influenced Kirk, Darrell, David and Tamela.

Other folks that have made huge contribution to the Fort Worth black community include

Dionne Anglin
Cheryl Beal Anderson
Larry Braziel
Marion Brooks
Roy Brooks
James Cash
Byron Chamberlin
Ornette Coleman
Donald Curry
Walter Dansby
Cornell Dupree Jr.
Kirk Franklin
Tuner Gill
Tamron Hall
Titus Hall
Sedrick Huckaby
Vera Jenkins
Glenn Lewis
David Mann
Tamela Mann
Robert McDaniel
Windell Middlebrooks
Lorraine Miller
Christene Chadwick Moss
Frank Moss
Brian Newby
Harold Odom
Curtis "King Curtis" Ousley
Claude Platte
Horatio Porter
Hazel Harvey Peace
Veda Phillips Felder
Lenora Rolla
Bob Ray Sanders
Jimmy Smith
Robert Stanton
Jerry Thomas
Marc Veasey
Versia Williams

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 08-17-2018 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas