Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 08:19 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,947,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Its only ok if you can literally point out the advantages that Houston and Atlanta have over Dallas......

No one can ever point it out!!!!!!!

All people say is Houston offer more for blacks and can never REVEAL what they offer!!

all I got was T.S.U and P.V.....which is really not an Advantage....but ok.
Lots of things have been listed in this very thread, and whether you want to accept them or not is up to you. If the only advantages you've gotten out of 33 pages is TSU and PV, you're just not paying attention or you just don't want to accept what a bunch of us have said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Having lived in Atlanta, I honestly cannot understand why people keep insisting that Houston deserves to be mentioned alongside it in terms of offerings. DC and Atlanta are top tier with both Texas cities below them.

Dallas has a large black middle class with its fair share of professionals. Why do people keep suggesting otherwise?

The only points being made I agree with is that blacks in Houston are more integrated and there's more of a black yuppie social scene there.
Having lived in DC, I agree with you that DC and Atlanta are the gold standard for black culture in this country.

In my opinion though, Houston is a tier below them both with only probably Chicago and Philadelphia as its peers (these two cities are highly slept on but both have great black social/professional scenes). I see Dallas is a tier below those three - I'd put it more along the same lines of a place like Los Angeles in terms of what it offers black professionals. There is definitely a scene there, but its a little harder to find so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I agree and you pretty much have summed up what I’ve been expressing for years regarding this subject. It’s just plain stupid to act as if DFW doesn’t have its fair share of black professionals. Hell many of us post on this forum. Generally speaking we are not snobby to the point that we need to have our own clubs, section of town, and own scene away from nondegreed black folks. It’s extremely normal here for a black engineer professional to live side by side with a blue collar worker that makes really good money working for GM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
That's really what it's about.

Bougie blacks don't really have enclaves in DFW the way they do in DC, Atlanta etc. Here, blacks can live in racially diverse middle class neighborhoods with white collar, blue collar and self-employed folks.......or live in ritzier neighborhoods with people that may be their peers but are mostly white (possibly east/south Asian).
No one is saying that black professionals don't exist or are some sort of invisible class in DFW. But what you guys are saying is a reflection of exactly what DFW lacks. What you're describing exists in places like Houston, Atlanta, DC, and Chicago as well. What those places have that DFW lacks is a strong BLACK social scene.

You all are acting like blacks in places like the aforementioned four cities don't have a lot of interaction with non-black peers in both social and professional spaces and that only DFW offers that. That's patently laughable. All of the above offer everything DFW offers plus that strong black social scene it lacks. That's all it really is to it. Doesn't make it a bad place for black people to live by any means, and honestly, the only reason that there's so much pushback to the idea that Dallas is generally inferior to Houston for blacks is because its Houston. No one blinks an eye about people declaring DC or Atlanta's better social scene, but as soon as Houston is mentioned, its 33 pages of arguing. But it is what it is. Young black people come from Dallas to Houston for social events lot more than the reverse, and there's a reason for that. I have friends that come here 5-6 times a year for various non-family reasons that live in Dallas. They all are born and raised in the DFW area. They all agree that Houston has a much better black social scene then there is in Dallas, and its not really that close (which I obviously agree with). Some of them still prefer Dallas overall for other reasons though - that's why they live there and they are happy with living there. No harm, no foul.

It's not some attack on Dallas to answer the question that was presented to us - which is better for black dating of the two? Though some might argue they are comparable, almost no one in their right mind would argue that Dallas is actually the better of the two when it comes down to it.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:00 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,398,623 times
Im black and Im living a great life in Dallas. It just pisses me off when people who don't live here try to paint a horrible picture of Dallas to blacks who are interested in moving here.

Every black person don't have to be around all blacks and just do black events and clubs. Some have open minds and probably would naturally prefer Dallas with the way its black community is set up....but to falsely paint doom and gloom over the black community to deter them is unfair and biased.

Dallas' Black community is naturally what it is...Its probably not laid out like ATL or D.C. But it works...I love black life in Dallas....And most Blacks Are happy here...including the ones that just moved here.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 PM

12,734 posts, read 21,665,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This makes sense.
Bro, this is what we’ve been saying all along. Now, you get it.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:48 PM

12,734 posts, read 21,665,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Lots of things have been listed in this very thread, and whether you want to accept them or not is up to you. If the only advantages you've gotten out of 33 pages is TSU and PV, you're just not paying attention or you just don't want to accept what a bunch of us have said.

Having lived in DC, I agree with you that DC and Atlanta are the gold standard for black culture in this country.

In my opinion though, Houston is a tier below them both with only probably Chicago and Philadelphia as its peers (these two cities are highly slept on but both have great black social/professional scenes). I see Dallas is a tier below those three - I'd put it more along the same lines of a place like Los Angeles in terms of what it offers black professionals. There is definitely a scene there, but its a little harder to find so to speak.

No one is saying that black professionals don't exist or are some sort of invisible class in DFW. But what you guys are saying is a reflection of exactly what DFW lacks. What you're describing exists in places like Houston, Atlanta, DC, and Chicago as well. What those places have that DFW lacks is a strong BLACK social scene.

You all are acting like blacks in places like the aforementioned four cities don't have a lot of interaction with non-black peers in both social and professional spaces and that only DFW offers that. That's patently laughable. All of the above offer everything DFW offers plus that strong black social scene it lacks. That's all it really is to it. Doesn't make it a bad place for black people to live by any means, and honestly, the only reason that there's so much pushback to the idea that Dallas is generally inferior to Houston for blacks is because its Houston. No one blinks an eye about people declaring DC or Atlanta's better social scene, but as soon as Houston is mentioned, its 33 pages of arguing. But it is what it is. Young black people come from Dallas to Houston for social events lot more than the reverse, and there's a reason for that. I have friends that come here 5-6 times a year for various non-family reasons that live in Dallas. They all are born and raised in the DFW area. They all agree that Houston has a much better black social scene then there is in Dallas, and its not really that close (which I obviously agree with). Some of them still prefer Dallas overall for other reasons though - that's why they live there and they are happy with living there. No harm, no foul.

It's not some attack on Dallas to answer the question that was presented to us - which is better for black dating of the two? Though some might argue they are comparable, almost no one in their right mind would argue that Dallas is actually the better of the two when it comes down to it.
Houston is tier 1b. I think it’s above Chicago and Philly.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:14 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,398,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Bro, this is what we’ve been saying all along. Now, you get it.
Its the presentation of most non Dallas people about Dallas' black community(especially you) that I don't agree with. Its misinformation that paints a more drastic situation in order to boost another city.

It's just not necessary.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:00 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,207,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

Good post, and this is what we've been saying this entire time. The only ones who don't get it are posters who've never lived or traveled outside Dallas and don't know any better. Or like Dallasboi, desperate for white validation and acceptance and think that's being "open-minded"

Old 12-19-2018, 05:40 AM

1,168 posts, read 765,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Good post, and this is what we've been saying this entire time. The only ones who don't get it are posters who've never lived or traveled outside Dallas and don't know any better. Or like Dallasboi, desperate for white validation and acceptance and think that's being "open-minded"
I have to say it's comments like that which rub me the wrong way. I've never gotten a sense of the Dallas black community being desperate for white validation. But I've also never witnessed the other extreme: "I was born black and I need you to know that makes me different from you". Is it not possible to be proud of who you are without needing special recognition for it?

Old 12-19-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
But I've also never witnessed the other extreme: "I was born black and I need you to know that makes me different from you". Is it not possible to be proud of who you are without needing special recognition for it?
Yes

Old 12-19-2018, 07:06 AM

1,168 posts, read 765,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Yes
Good. Now we're on the same page.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Good. Now we're on the same page.
Are we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas