Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 10:41 AM

559 posts, read 936,108 times

Advertisements

We bought a new house 4 years ago and now planning to install hardwood flooring on 1st floor for about 1700 sq ft (all rooms living room + guest bed room & closet + master bed room & closet + study room + dinning room). I am new to hiring a contractor to do a major project.... so I have few questions and need some recommendations.

NOTE: We put hand scrapped hard wood flooring in enter + foyer area when built the house, so we may go with the same design, but open to other good ideas.

Questions:
1. Do contractors provide a service to remove furniture and put it back after the installation is complete?
2. Any good reliable and reasonable contractor that you can recommend for this project other than big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes?
3. How many days typically it takes for the project of this size?
4. Does adding hardwood flooring in entire 1st floor add a home value or will it be a negative point to resale?
5. What's the average price I should keep in mind for installing hand-scrapped hardwood flooring of about 1700 sq ft (including furniture move)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 12:29 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
1. Yes, the contractor will usually move furniture for you. They will NOT move or disconnect electronics. You have to do that yourself.
2. If you are a Costco member, look on their website. We used them for our hardwood floor install, and they beat everyone else's price, plus they gave us 10% back on a Costco card. The contractor comes out to your house to measure and bring samples, and they send a price quote within a couple of days.
3. Probably 2-3.
4. I wouldn't bother with doing hardwood in the closet. There's no advantage to it vs. the carpet that's probably already there. I would NOT do hardwood in the kitchen or bathrooms due to the possibility of a water leak ruining it. I would stick with tile there.
5. Not sure. There are lots of variables to the pricing depending on materials, etc.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
1. Yes, the contractor will usually move furniture for you. They will NOT move or disconnect electronics. You have to do that yourself.
2. If you are a Costco member, look on their website. We used them for our hardwood floor install, and they beat everyone else's price, plus they gave us 10% back on a Costco card. The contractor comes out to your house to measure and bring samples, and they send a price quote within a couple of days.
3. Probably 2-3.
4. I wouldn't bother with doing hardwood in the closet. There's no advantage to it vs. the carpet that's probably already there. I would NOT do hardwood in the kitchen or bathrooms due to the possibility of a water leak ruining it. I would stick with tile there.
5. Not sure. There are lots of variables to the pricing depending on materials, etc.

Thanks a lot!

2. Yes, I am a Costco member and will check with them. Any other contractors did you compare the quote?
4. Yes, I am not touching area where tile is installed (kitchen, pantry, bathrooms). Putting hardwood in closet just to get rid of old carpet in entire 1st floor.
5. What's the average price per sq ft of hardwood flooring (include material + labor + moving of furniture). I am just trying to set my expectations accordingly before start asking for quotes.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:25 PM

I also got quotes from Nebraska Furniture Mart and Empire Direct. The materials were similar, but Costco was still a better price.
I honestly couldn't tell you what the average price is. There are so many variables on materials! We paid about $5000 for 850 sqft of flooring with installation.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I also got quotes from Nebraska Furniture Mart and Empire Direct. The materials were similar, but Costco was still a better price.
I honestly couldn't tell you what the average price is. There are so many variables on materials! We paid about $5000 for 850 sqft of flooring with installation.

Understood.... Thanks! Did $5K include moving furniture?

Old 09-07-2018, 01:42 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,191,004 times
What kind of wood flooring is available at Costco? If you want truly hand scraped (flat boards installed then a bunch of guys kneel down with scrapers) you would need solid wood not "engineered wood."

Old 09-07-2018, 03:54 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,408,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
We bought a new house 4 years ago and now planning to install hardwood flooring on 1st floor for about 1700 sq ft (all rooms living room + guest bed room & closet + master bed room & closet + study room + dinning room). I am new to hiring a contractor to do a major project.... so I have few questions and need some recommendations.

NOTE: We put hand scrapped hard wood flooring in enter + foyer area when built the house, so we may go with the same design, but open to other good ideas.

Questions:
1. Do contractors provide a service to remove furniture and put it back after the installation is complete?
2. Any good reliable and reasonable contractor that you can recommend for this project other than big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes?
3. How many days typically it takes for the project of this size?
4. Does adding hardwood flooring in entire 1st floor add a home value or will it be a negative point to resale?
5. What's the average price I should keep in mind for installing hand-scrapped hardwood flooring of about 1700 sq ft (including furniture move)?

I just PM'ed you the name of a really great flooring company I recently used. It is well worth speaking with them.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
What kind of wood flooring is available at Costco? If you want truly hand scraped (flat boards installed then a bunch of guys kneel down with scrapers) you would need solid wood not "engineered wood."
They have lots to choose from. We did engineered since we have pets.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:38 PM

227 posts, read 223,018 times
could someone pm me the name of any of the flooring company details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas