Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 02:51 PM

537 posts, read 597,951 times

Advertisements

I've been working from home for many years and am looking at taking all my equity and moving somewhere with lower real estate values so I can get a larger home. I need fast, reliable Internet, and preferably access to decent shopping centers. Close access to good parks would be a plus. At least decent school districts. I need to be within reasonable driving distance of legacy/DNT, no more than an hour driving distance, as I do have in person meetings a few times a month.

I was looking at Melissa, but the lack of good and close grocery stores and restaurants is a major turn off. I was looking at the Denton area too, but much of that area seems rather run down.

Last edited by BongoBungo; 08-03-2018 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 04:35 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
What is your budget and children's ages?

Old 08-03-2018, 04:36 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
I've been working from home for many years and am looking at taking all my equity and moving somewhere with lower real estate values so I can get a larger home. I need fast, reliable Internet, and preferably access to decent shopping centers. Close access to good parks would be a plus. At least decent school districts. I need to be within reasonable driving distance of legacy/DNT, no more than an hour driving distance, as I do have in person meetings a few times a month.

I was looking at Melissa, but the lack of good and close grocery stores and restaurants is a major turn off. I was looking at the Denton area too, but much of that area seems rather run down.
What is your budget exactly?

The Alliance area of Ft. Worth feeds into Keller ISD but not Keller High. Those neighborhoods off Alliance Parkway are beautiful, and there is excellent shopping within minutes.

How about something feeding into Birdville HS? Would the area feeding into Argyle HS be appealing?

ETA: how about Trophy Club feeding into Byron Nelson HS?

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 08-03-2018 at 05:05 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 05:17 PM

I'm looking to live below my means for my goal of financial independence, so am hoping to keep the price under $350k. I haven't looked much at the Fort Worth area and honestly don't know much about that side of the DFW metroplex. I'm certainly willing to consider it however. Newer construction is preferable, but I'm also willing to buy a fixer upper and renovate it myself.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I'm looking to live below my means for my goal of financial independence, so am hoping to keep the price under $350k. I haven't looked much at the Fort Worth area and honestly don't know much about that side of the DFW metroplex. I'm certainly willing to consider it however. Newer construction is preferable, but I'm also willing to buy a fixer upper and renovate it myself.
The area I'm thinking of is near Alliance Town Center, off of Heritage Trace Parkway. If I wanted newer, good shopping, and a good ISD but didn't care about the specific school...all under $350K, it would be at the top of my list.

Some home examples:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...83795399_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...83796890_zpid/

Maybe some of the agents on here could chime in on why that is a slow selling area.

For fixer uppers, there is a pretty older neighborhood that surrounds Iron Horse GC in NRH, but that's Richland HS and probably not a great area.

Granted, I don't know much about the east side of DFW to compare it to Allen or Plano or Frisco. That's one of the disadvantages of living here...it's just such a huge area.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The area I'm thinking of is near Alliance Town Center, off of Heritage Trace Parkway. If I wanted newer, good shopping, and a good ISD but didn't care about the specific school...all under $350K, it would be at the top of my list.

Some home examples:

Maybe some of the agents on here could chime in on why that is a slow selling area.

For fixer uppers, there is a pretty older neighborhood that surrounds Iron Horse GC in NRH, but that's Richland HS and probably not a great area.

Granted, I don't know much about the east side of DFW to compare it to Allen or Plano or Frisco. That's one of the disadvantages of living here...it's just such a huge area.
Wow at that price for that much square footage! I know nothing about that particular area, however. I may drive around and check it out. I'm also trying to get away from the awful crowds and traffic in the Plano/Frisco/McKinney area.

I'd like to stay away from NRH.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:53 AM

34 posts, read 34,376 times
Quote:
Wow at that price for that much square footage! I know nothing about that particular area, however. I may drive around and check it out. I'm also trying to get away from the awful crowds and traffic in the Plano/Frisco/McKinney area.

What's wrong with NRH?

Old 08-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEBres21 View Post
What's wrong with NRH?
NRH is a mixed bag. The area of NRH that is really nice is the part off Davis/N. Tarrant, adjacent to Keller and Colleyville and zoned to Keller HS. There are also some really nice areas zoned to Birdville HS. All of this area is really clean and nice, with trails and parks and good lighting at night. I think many people would be surprised to know that one at extreme end NRH is literally across the street from Colleyville and 1.5 miles to Southlake. (I think it would be hard to get in under 425K in that area).

The town is doing a lot with the library, and rec center. These are nice and new and clean areas, with a lot of planning and thought put into them.

However, the side of NRH that is out towards the highways is rundown and shabby. I would not want to live there if I could avoid it. Richland HS looks like a prison.

I sometimes wonder why the tip of NRH that juts into the Keller/Colleyville/Southlake triangle doesn't get rezoned into one of those cities; it would make more sense. But I suppose NRH would lose a lot of tax revenue that way.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 08-06-2018 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:

We just drove through there on Saturday....it is so new and nice looking. The commercial buildings have the stone construction with tile roofs...I love that look. IDK if it would be too far from your work meetings though.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:44 AM

511 posts, read 400,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

Some home examples:

Forney, TX looks like a good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas