Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 04:53 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,686,332 times

Advertisements

So, I will be in Dallas for a couple days and do a bit of sightseeing in March.

Hitting a baseball game (vs. Cleveland) on the 26th, and then perhaps going over to ATT Stadium. From there, spending a few hours between Fort Worth and The Stockyards.

I will also be looking around the core of Dallas all day the 27th. Interests are urbanity (plan/architecture), food, history, nature and generally unique or especially good in Dallas sort of things.

That said... could I get by returning my car and saving 1.5 days of fee if I were to get around by the pretty decent light rail system and bike/foot? Your consideration is appreciated. We will be flying out of Dallas morning of the 28th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 05:26 PM

989 posts, read 2,443,287 times
I feel like the light rail here is more to get people in and out of downtown from the suburban areas. Not super efficient from a mass transit urban perspective.

You could maybe get around in the urban core on bike/foot, but you would probably be walking/biking a lot. There are also free trolleys that run from downtown to uptown and downtown to bishop arts district. They also have motorized scooters everywhere you can rent.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 PM

Okay! I'll wait on additional feedback before I make my decision. I am planning on staying within a 10 minute walk of a metro station that is less than a 10 minute ride from the center of downtown. It also is within a few minute walk of the Trinity Greenbelt.

For context, the Tuesday we arrive, we will probably keep the car into the early evening. We will be at Globe Life Park, and will probably also keep the car with us when we check out the Stockyards to walk around/grab a bite. At that point we would return the car.

All we would be doing Wednesday is perhaps taking a morning jog/walk from our place out on the greenway, and at that point then taking the metro in to the city to walk around/explore the day away, no specific plans, we would probably spend the evening then in Deep Ellum, and if we really got bored with downtown which I think is unlikely, perhaps taking another line up to SMU for a few hours. Leaving the next morning from our hotel to the airport, though we might take an Uber on that. I guess I should confirm how much I'd save by doing this, first, but as much as anything, there's something really adventurous about exploring a city only by public transport/your own two feet.

Edit: Estimated starting cost savings would be $50 for that time frame. That said, I think we would end up spending 50$ or so in cost of transit and possibly taking an Uber at least one way between Dallas Airport and Market Center. We would save on parking/gas, and not have to worry about returning the car later, though.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 01-02-2019 at 08:45 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,581,690 times
Between Bird/Lime and walking and Uber, you’ll be fine.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Between Bird/Lime and walking and Uber, you’ll be fine.
I want to try one of those. Sounds pretty cool. Any particular advantage of either of the two?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:30 PM

Hold up a second-if we are staying in one of the hotels near Medieval Times in that area around Market Center, are we able to cut thru Market Center to access DART or not? Because if not, that does add a few more minutes on to the walk, and makes me more strongly consider just keeping the car. Is the Market Center station (or others in the vicinity) a park 'n ride?

Old 01-02-2019, 11:05 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,581,690 times
Keep the car. It’s not an easy cut through. I thought you were a little more downtown.

You’ll find the scooters all over, which can be a really fun way to experience a city. Just don’t be a dick and park them out of the way. They’re both basically the same. My daughters think the Birds do better on hills.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Keep the car. It’s not an easy cut through. I thought you were a little more downtown.

You’ll find the scooters all over, which can be a really fun way to experience a city. Just don’t be a dick and park them out of the way. They’re both basically the same. My daughters think the Birds do better on hills.
I decided to bite the bullet, and just keep the car the extra day. $149 for 6 days is still pretty good, and while I would have felt okay about taking it around still (and still plan on navigating in that manner on Wed), the thought of driving up to airport, dropping it off, getting an Uber or being on Metro with luggage going to our hotel at market center, lugging it around, or taking an Uber over and back which would be about the same price? For one day, not really worth it, and costs would have been negligible.

I look forward to testing them out. I'll also check by price. Could be a really cool way to experience the core of Dallas. What kind of range do they have? Like, would it be reasonable to get on one, and then take it over to SMU/Highland Park areas as long as I then left it right at station?

I think someone mentioned about nature. I'm certainly not expecting anything grandiose, but I try to find beauty in everything, and honestly, I won't have much time to be wandering around period. I'm getting in Tuesday, checking out a baseball game (and maybe the football stadium briefly afterwards), then going over to Fort Worth and seeing what I can of it's core in 3-6 hours, then driving to our hotel. Next day, a morning run on the nearby trail, then spending the day in and around the core of Dallas. I will say that at least Dallas doesn't look quite as flat as FL hahaha. And, while there isn't Western National Park level beauty either, the pictures I saw of SMU Campus, Fair Park, the Gardens on White Rock Lake, etc., they do look like at least somewhat beautiful manicured spaces. I'm keeping an open mind and looking forward to seeing a city that is a powerhouse (borderline Top 10 city in the world in GDP straight up), yet as a tourist destination seems to fly massively under the radar. We really only need about 6-7 hours of things to do IN the Downtown Core, since the evening will probably be spent in the Deep Ellum vicinity, although not too late, we have an early flight lol. Thanks again everybody. Any other input would be appreciated.

Edit: The title of this thread seems out of place now. But, we will really will basically be going it car free on Wed! With the exception of probably an Uber back from Deep Ellum/wherever we end the night.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 01-03-2019 at 06:59 AM..

Old 01-03-2019, 10:54 AM

11,859 posts, read 26,899,645 times
Smart move! Yes, using the DART Rail with luggage would be a pain, and the cost of Uber to all of those places would likely be more than the rental. Plus, unless you want to eat all of your meals at the hotel restaurant, you'll need a car. Market Center really doesn't have anything walkable. You will be close to three good places to eat: Rodeo Goat burgers on Market Center Blvd, and Slow Bone and Mama's Daughter on Irving Blvd. YUM!

In Fort Worth, you will want to see both the downtown area AND the Stockyards. These are fairly close by (about 10 minutes' drive apart), but they are definitely two distinct areas that are both worth seeing.

Also note that SMU, the Dallas Arboretum, and Fair Park are not in downtown Dallas. To reach all of those by public transit, you'll be spending a LOT of time on buses.

FYI: the Texas Rangers will still be playing spring training away games until March 25: https://www.mlb.com/rangers/schedule/2019-03

Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,177,787 times
Keep in mind that March weather here can be pretty iffy. It could be windy and cold or muggy and stormy that time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas