Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:34 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I have nothing for or against you or Toll Brothers but this story is as difficult to digest as Paris Hilton living in Fairfield Inn.

Why? Toll Brothers builds a good home, and if this person liked the location/community, why wouldn't they buy TB home? Just because someone is a developer doesn't mean anything, my own uncle is a land developer, he doesn't live in a home he designed himself, in fact he never has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 07:23 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Why? Toll Brothers builds a good home, and if this person liked the location/community, why wouldn't they buy TB home? Just because someone is a developer doesn't mean anything, my own uncle is a land developer, he doesn't live in a home he designed himself, in fact he never has.
There is a difference between “my own uncle who is a land developer” and “ a very well-known developer, who won many awards for design,built shopping centers, residential homes, hospitals, and has been in the business for decades”.

That sort of person is more likely to built one or get a custom builder. Well, unless facing budget issues.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:12 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Every construction guy always states that houses built now are the cheapest ones ever, but mass production houses in Texas have always been built cheaply. If Toll Brothers has lots of premature failure, roof leaks and other issues, they would assuredly show up in customer satisfaction reporting. It's not like the people who buy them don't have decent access to law talkin' guys or have to live with the incongruities of a cheaply built house due to income constraints.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
There is a difference between “my own uncle who is a land developer” and “ a very well-known developer, who won many awards for design,built shopping centers, residential homes, hospitals, and has been in the business for decades”.

That sort of person is more likely to built one or get a custom builder. Well, unless facing budget issues.

Wrong. Every word you used could be used to describe my uncle. At one point, his net worth was around $30 million. He's owned several million dollar homes. Didn't build any of them.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:39 PM

786 posts, read 1,223,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I am starting to notice allot people in Frisco boasting about their "Toll Brother's" house. I have heard of Booth Brothers who only build custom houses in Dallas area. What is making Toll Brothers so special? Do their builders and architects drop from the sky with some special unique capabilities which is unknown to earth? Does God send revelation to them only to bless the earth with their art? I feel people that move to Texas from other areas like NJ/NY/CA who can't afford a house in their home state come to TX with their egos wanting to buy a massive home and end up finding Toll Brothers. Once they sign up with TB with their 5% down. I feel they have no choice but to scream out expressing that they bought a house from Toll Brothers when deep inside they know they bought into the hype.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/hous...-brothers.html
I haven't noticed this. I agree with the poster who commented on the "Toll Brothers Special" being the elevation with the double bay garages flanking each side or the house and/or a turret with a mediterranean tile roof.

The designs seem really garish to me and less "classic, timeless" than other builders in the same price point. I do think the quality is fine, but should be better for the price point they charge.

Example - Somerset, one of the Twin Creeks neighborhoods in Allen, has Sanders Custom Homes (Huntington) and Toll Brothers. I love the elevations on all the Sanders Homes, but the Toll Brothers designs in the same neighborhood look like a Grand Home on steroids aka ugly, over-priced tract style home.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:42 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,411,978 times
I checked out the ones being built on Coit between Eldorado and University. I didn't care much for their floor plans and the house itself looked great from outside but the inside quality and material is the same as any other builder. They paint their house white from outside which I haven't seen with production builders.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
"Toll Brothers Special" being the elevation with the double bay garages flanking each side or the house and/or a turret with a mediterranean tile roof. The designs seem really garish to me and less "classic, timeless" than other builders in the same price point. I do think the quality is fine, but should be better for the price point they charge. Toll Brothers designs in the same neighborhood look like a Grand Home on steroids aka ugly, over-priced tract style home.
You pretty much summed it up. Toll's targeted demographic is same as Grand, just a slightly higher price tier who are not in high end custom build price tier yet and frankly afraid of lower end custom builders as they don't understand that process and can't buy existing custom homes as they can't see out of the new box. Mostly Immigrants and transplants looking for big and new homes with similar upgrades as their friends have. They are helping Stepford couples keeping up with their Jonses. I must say Toll knows their market well and quality isn't any better or worse than any other builder in that price range. They just charge a little more because they can as they are helping you feel like you made it in the race as well as your friends did.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 12-08-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
I love the elevations on all the Sanders Homes, but the Toll Brothers designs in the same neighborhood look like a Grand Home on steroids aka ugly, over-priced tract style home.
Highland and Huntington need to hire a good research firm to understand what their targeted demographic is looking for. They are still thinking long term reputation and stuck on quality and classic. Most new buyers want fancy and trendy and what others have, class and quality isn't the top priority here.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:47 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Well this happened in the Northeast...

Water damage from bad construction destroys homes and dreams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: