Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 11:02 AM

14 posts, read 30,902 times

Advertisements

Hello - We are considering a new construction in Frisco or McKinney area and we are hearing things about snakes coming into the backyard and even into houses sometimes. They say it is because most of these new communities are ranches in the past. We moved here from the west coast few weeks back so not really familiar with the area

I also heard people say most of the snakes are not poisonous but I just freak out when I see a snake and I just don't want them in my backyard.

We are currently looking at craig ranch community in McKinney and also Auburn Hills which is on 380. Does anyone know have any inputs particular to these 2 communities

Can someone please provide some insights. Is one city better than other. Should we look in other cities like prosper, Irving or Flower Mound to avoid the snake problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 11:17 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
There is not a snake problem. They were here first. The vast majority of them are beneficial and the venemous ones generally would prefer to leave you alone.

If you truly want to avoid snakes why are you buying a house in a suburb where there are plants, insects, mice, etc all around? Consider a condo in a downtown high rise instead.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:19 AM

3,066 posts, read 8,404,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolaTXs View Post
Hello - We are considering a new construction in Frisco or McKinney area and we are hearing things about snakes coming into the backyard and even into houses sometimes. They say it is because most of these new communities are ranches in the past. We moved here from the west coast few weeks back so not really familiar with the area

I also heard people say most of the snakes are not poisonous but I just freak out when I see a snake and I just don't want them in my backyard.

We are currently looking at craig ranch community in McKinney and also Auburn Hills which is on 380. Does anyone know have any inputs particular to these 2 communities

Can someone please provide some insights. Is one city better than other. Should we look in other cities like prosper, Irving or Flower Mound to avoid the snake problem?

Regardless of where you choose you will not avoid snakes! They will be everywhere including in established developments in larger Burbs and the city. All you can do is take precautions when you choose to lessen the potential of encountering snakes.
  • Stay away from bodies of water (including small ponds), streams, and even constantly active run-off creek beds. These are locations for poisonous cottonmouth snakes and for Diamonback Water Snakes which are not poisonous but do look a lot like cottonmouth.
  • Stay away from properties that back up to wooded areas, farm fields, greenbelts, etc. These are places where you will find all manner of snakes both poisonous (copperheads) and non-poisonous.
Beyond that trying to select a snake free zone is near impossible.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:34 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,064,515 times
If it makes you feel any better, in NC we had snakes in our pool a few times, and we would sometimes see huge black snakes in the grass...maybe 5 feet long. I've seen exactly one snake here so far, and it was 6 inches long, if that.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:36 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,232,884 times
If you want to avoid snakes, your best bet is to give up your "new construction" requirement.

New developments typically have more than their share of rodents and snakes (because it was their home directly before construction began.) With a home in a well established neighborhood, away from any creeks or ponds, you are much less likely to see them, as most of them will have either been killed or they migrated away from humans to another undeveloped area. Don't buy a home backing to a creek or wooded area, and you should be fine.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:43 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,164 times
Where is your job? Flower Mound and Frisco/McKinney aren't close together at all.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolaTXs View Post

Don't buy new construction in the boonies then.

We get snakes in Richardson from time to time and my neighborhood broke ground in 1956. I haven't seen any poisonous ones but I see one in the yard maybe once a year. We're not avid gardeners; I bet if we were, we'd see more of them.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:57 PM

8,110 posts, read 3,661,082 times
I had one in the house (Plano) the other day..

Old 08-13-2018, 01:39 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I had one in the house (Plano) the other day..
HA!

Yeah - my daughter is living in one of my duplexes in Plano right now. She sent me a snap of the 5' rat snake that climbed up the brick next to the garage after one of the rainstorms this week.

To her credit, she just left him be - but the tenant in the other unit called me freaking out about it. I kind of wanted to tell them that I found a nest in the attic above their unit when I bought those places as a foreclosure 5 years ago. (I didn't actually find a nest, but the signs of one as the soffits were all rotted out and there was a rodent issue - probably why I got the place for a song)

For the OP - you will have snakes everywhere in most TX residential areas. You won't see 95% of them. So, for every one that you do see, know there are 19 watching you.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:47 PM

14 posts, read 30,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
There is not a snake problem. They were here first. The vast majority of them are beneficial and the venemous ones generally would prefer to leave you alone.

If you truly want to avoid snakes why are you buying a house in a suburb where there are plants, insects, mice, etc all around? Consider a condo in a downtown high rise instead.
I understand that we are occupying their territory and not the other way around

Regarding your question on buying a condo in downtown, we lived in the bay area for almost 8 years in a condo without a backyard and we really want to build a single family home customized to our style and with a large backyard. I am just trying to see if I can spend time in my own backyard without worrying about snakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas