Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:16 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times

Advertisements

My suggestion:

RENT for 3-6 months. There are so many sub-climates in DFW that you should really rent to find the right house/area for you without making a quick decision you may later regret.

Minus the population thing, I think Grapevine might be a good option - they have a great trail system and have done a wonderful job retaining their trees. You'd also be close to Southlake Town Center, which should satisfy your upscale shopping desires.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 02:24 PM

105 posts, read 338,513 times
The population thing isn't huge. I was just hoping to maybe find a small-town feel. What are Lantana and Trophy Club like? Those are pretty new. They may not have even existed when I was last there (at least not to the extent they exist now).

My husband thinks I'd like Southlake, but I don't think I'd like my kids to grow up expecting to have things handed to them. Plus, people who don't live there seem to hate it.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:28 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Sunnyvale would meet many of your requirements. It's a small community so the size would be about right. There are plenty of chain places to eat near Town East mall. The elementary and middle schools offer smaller classes (16 students per class) but I can't vouch for the Highschool since it's brand new. Check out the Stone Canyon subdivision and see if it's a good fit. I do agree with the poster that you should rent first to see which what communities serve your needs best.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:31 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,511 times
that's because of jealousy, not because the town sucks. It's why people hate Plano. It's why people hate the Cowboys, it's why people hate the Lakers, and it's why people hate Yankees.

In every town, the population spans the entire spectrum. There are snobby people in Garland. There are snobby people in Oak Cliff. There are snobby people in Plano.

Just because an area's wealthy doesn't make the people in it bad. After reading these boards, people act like it's a crime to be educated and have a good job.

There have been many, many cases of wealthy people living way, way below their means, just as there have been many cases of people living hand to mouth.

Pick an area that's best for you objectively, and you'll be happy there, I promise. Once all the "attitude" questions are thrown out, people can move past stereotypes and move on with their lives.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:18 PM

Unexpected I can certainly agree with you on this. I have never lived in Southlake so for me to say they are snobbish would just be wrong. I have no idea how they are because I do not live there. Anything I say would be based on what I heard from others not from personal experience. Everybody requirements are different so do your research and do whats best for you and your family.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Unexpected I can certainly agree with you on this. I have never lived in Southlake so for me to say they are snobbish would just be wrong. I have no idea how they are because I do not live there. Anything I say would be based on what I heard from others not from personal experience. Everybody requirements are different so do your research and do whats best for you and your family.
Well, you should have been at the Southlake vs Rockwall football game last year in Rockwall. OMYGOSH!!! You would have thought those people had to go over to the worst slums in the world the way they were acting. It was really sad and pathetic. To turn your nose up at someone that lives in a different area and you live in a place that is "deemed" to be "superior" is really pathetic. I swear some of them thought they were going to get mugged or something and they were in another "small family town" that is just as well off as they are financially if not MORE! After seeing it firsthand, yep, they do think they are better than anyone else.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:49 PM

I can remember years ago when I was in college I had a suite mate that was from fairly well to do family in Overland Park Kansas. He was simply amazed that people did not enjoy the same luxuries in life that he had. We spent a many a late nights chatting about the way we each grew up. He was a real nice guy but he had never been outside of his inner circle until he moved to Houston. It was quite a eye opening experience for him to say the least.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Well, you should have been at the Southlake vs Rockwall football game last year in Rockwall. OMYGOSH!!! You would have thought those people had to go over to the worst slums in the world the way they were acting. It was really sad and pathetic. To turn your nose up at someone that lives in a different area and you live in a place that is "deemed" to be "superior" is really pathetic. I swear some of them thought they were going to get mugged or something and they were in another "small family town" that is just as well off as they are financially if not MORE! After seeing it firsthand, yep, they do think they are better than anyone else.
...and I could say the exact same thing about the players who were used to playing tennis at Garland Tennis Center who then had to play at Plano East. I guess I should just infer that Garland people are snobby too.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
OK I can top you all with my Parkie stories...then again what was really weird was when our high school would play very middle to working class suburban schools and they all assumed we were a poor school because we were in Dallas and it was built in the 1920s. They didn't realize there were some very rich people sitting in the stands who were pretty low key.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:38 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Momof2dfw,

I have to disagree with you, which seems so very odd to me. Murphy is hovering around 15,000 and at build out will only it 25,000. And I think it's hits all the points that the OP is looking for. Not everything would be in Murphy but we're close to quite a bit. And we are getting some retail and the council has trails and improved pedestrian access as one of it's priorities. As a matter of fact, the new Murphy Marketplace will have a trail through the length of the center that will eventually tie into the proposed trail system in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas