Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 07:50 PM

69 posts, read 89,209 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

Awhile back I posted that a relocation to the north Dallas area might be possible, and I was soliciting opinions on location for living (I will be working where George Bush and 75 meet in north Richardson). That possibility is now a reality, with a move occurring in a few months.

In all the home searching, research, commute timing, etc. that my wife and I have done, it seems that Murphy, Wylie, and Sachse offer the best combination of somewhat-affordable new construction in master planned communites, close to amenities (relatively speaking) while still being a close commute for me (and being able to avoid 75 and other such arteries that I hear can be rough to commute). Of course, we'll learn a lot from a home buying trip and a "vacation" we have scheduled to provide our kids (age 9, 6, and 2) with a positive impression of Dallas before announcing our move. However, just from what we've seen and read, these communities seem to have a lot to offer. Garland has some nice houses, but from what we understand the schools aren't generally as strong.

Here's my question. I read from a lot of people that Wylie schools aren't as strong as Plano schools, and I know that part of Murphy is in Plano and part is Wylie (and, of course, Wylie is all Wylie). From what I see the western side of Wylie schools (ex: Tibbals Elementary) seem to get better school ratings vs. the eastern side (ex: Rita Smith Elementary), but all in all they seem decent. What makes a Plano school better than a Wylie school, and is there a lot of difference between the different schools in Wylie ISD? I have elementary age children, moving into middle school in the next couple years, so that's my primary concern.

Interested for opinions/feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Plano does a better job preparing students for college -> note average SAT scores (the #1 indicator of college preparedness) in Plano range from 1639-1733 whereas Wylie's range from 1477-1515. 200+ points is a HUGE gap in SAT scores. The lowest Plano school is East's 1639, which is still 120 points above the Wylie school zoned to neighborhood split between PESH & Wylie (Murphy). What's more impressive is that Plano ISD finds a way to be successful with approx 25% of students coming from economically disadvantaged homes.

What makes the end result so good in Plano vs Wylie and other lesser districts? Plano's curriculum development and teacher training programs are outstanding. My best friend's class had top 1% scores in the district on one of the state standardized tests and she was invited to peer coach the teachers in her high school feeder zone that years...the district seems ahead of its peers in its quest to spread the success to all kids in all schools. For students who are able to handle above grade level work, the district is a well-oiled machine to facilitate advanced work (on same campus or by traveling back and forth to upper campuses or even local colleges).

IMO, it's worth giving up the dreams of a newer house or master-planned community to be in SIGNIFICANTLY better schools. If you won't give up the new house/master plan, you're actually better off looking in Garland where there is a "school of choice" enrollment policy and an outstanding IB program. Garland HS has a better SAT than both Wylie schools and actually has the #6 ranked SAT average for white students( who tend to be more affluent and from educated homes) in the whole DFW area (1700). Compare to white students in Plano (1670-1714) and you'll find Garland to be quite respectable.

I know it seems weird to look at SAT scores when you have elementary school aged students, but the SAT is the culmination of 12+ years of academics. Kids build their vocabulary, reasoning/logic skills, math abilities, etc over their entire education. School districts that aren't great from top to bottom don't have SAT scores in the upper 10% of area high schools.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 01-04-2015 at 09:35 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
FYI - there are no new homes in Murphy being constructed in PISD. You may be able to find a relatively new home for sale in Rolling Ridge or Hunter's Landing 5, but that portion of Murphy is now built out if you were looking to actually build your own home. That said, you are far better served finding a home in Murphy/PISD than Murphy/WISD or Wylie/WISD. Wylie isn't a poor school district by any means. But if you have the opportunity to choose a better district then you should.

Tax rates (2014):
Murphy/PISD/Combined - .55/1.45/2.00
Murphy/WISD/Combined - .55/1.64/2.19
Wylie/WISD/Combined - .8789/1.64/2.52

What you gain from living on the WISD side of Murphy for the additional .20 is a lesser school district. Additionally, there's only one WISD school in Murphy - Tibbals Elementary. It's a distance to every other school in the feeder pattern. All elementary schools in Murphy feed to Murphy MS, then across that parking lot to McMillen HS and then on to Plano East. There's definitely a convenience factor as well as a community feel that you gain in Murphy/PISD.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 AM

41 posts, read 101,141 times
Plano ISD is far ahead of Wylie ISD and property taxes are lower. You can expand your location to NE Richardson's 75082 zip code, also in PISD and adjacent to Murphy but a better access to highways.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:41 PM

Thank you for the responses. My wife and I are trying to do as much research as we can prior to the move so we're more focused when looking for homes.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 815 times
Default Wylie, Murphy, Plano, Garland ISD comparisons

This was a really great comparison of Plano, Wylie, Murphy and the Garland IB program.i I am currently trying to make the same decision. Any updates 4 years later, also including Sachse High! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Plano does a better job preparing students for college -> note average SAT scores (the #1 indicator of college preparedness) in Plano range from 1639-1733 whereas Wylie's range from 1477-1515. 200+ points is a HUGE gap in SAT scores. The lowest Plano school is East's 1639, which is still 120 points above the Wylie school zoned to neighborhood split between PESH & Wylie (Murphy). What's more impressive is that Plano ISD finds a way to be successful with approx 25% of students coming from economically disadvantaged homes.

What makes the end result so good in Plano vs Wylie and other lesser districts? Plano's curriculum development and teacher training programs are outstanding. My best friend's class had top 1% scores in the district on one of the state standardized tests and she was invited to peer coach the teachers in her high school feeder zone that years...the district seems ahead of its peers in its quest to spread the success to all kids in all schools. For students who are able to handle above grade level work, the district is a well-oiled machine to facilitate advanced work (on same campus or by traveling back and forth to upper campuses or even local colleges).

IMO, it's worth giving up the dreams of a newer house or master-planned community to be in SIGNIFICANTLY better schools. If you won't give up the new house/master plan, you're actually better off looking in Garland where there is a "school of choice" enrollment policy and an outstanding IB program. Garland HS has a better SAT than both Wylie schools and actually has the #6 ranked SAT average for white students( who tend to be more affluent and from educated homes) in the whole DFW area (1700). Compare to white students in Plano (1670-1714) and you'll find Garland to be quite respectable.

I know it seems weird to look at SAT scores when you have elementary school aged students, but the SAT is the culmination of 12+ years of academics. Kids build their vocabulary, reasoning/logic skills, math abilities, etc over their entire education. School districts that aren't great from top to bottom don't have SAT scores in the upper 10% of area high schools.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:44 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
Wylie schools are decent. Plano schools in general will be better, but I don’t think there’s an appreciable different in that part of the district, however.

The largest difference is that Plano East has IB courses and will likely have more advanced courses overall than Wylie.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:02 PM

Thanks, but we moved from Illinois over four years ago. My kids have been in Wylie schools now since 2015 and we are very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Wylie schools are decent. Plano schools in general will be better, but I don’t think there’s an appreciable different in that part of the district, however.

The largest difference is that Plano East has IB courses and will likely have more advanced courses overall than Wylie.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:46 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martowski View Post
Thanks, but we moved from Illinois over four years ago. My kids have been in Wylie schools now since 2015 and we are very happy.
I’m glad that you found an area that suits your needs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas