Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I've noticed that most DFW detractors who no longer have a residence here originally came for a job opportunity to advance their career.

They came for a few years, made strides professionally and financially, then packed up and moved on to another opportunity because they never really fit in here. Now they all troll the DFW board with negative things to say about anything DFW or TX related, and completely dismiss that they originally came here for a list of GOOD reasons that outweighed where they were living at the time. Most of them never really made an honest go of discovering what DFW has to offer either.
That sums it up pretty darn well. I think too that some people depend on their surroundings physcologically much more so than others and for them it needs to be a coast or mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 09:39 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
And the Cape takes 4 days to get there
I'm pro-DFW on this thread, but...enough drama already. It's barely an hour down Route 3 from Quincy to the Bourne Bridge. Relax....

Old 09-02-2018, 09:46 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That sums it up pretty darn well. I think too that some people depend on their surroundings physcologically much more so than others and for them it needs to be a coast or mountains.
True... but to use that against DFW is pretty absurd in some cases, as you can get to a beach extraordinarily easy.

Like people saying it's not easy or cheap to get to Mexico from here? LOL

We basically couldn't be any closer unless we were LIVING in Mexico! Right now, there's roundtrip flights for $177 to Cancun, non-stop, in 2hr and 40 min. To put that in perspective, if I were to drive my wife's SUV to Austin and back, it would cost more than $100 in gas.

And, it would take me longer to drive to Austin! Some people have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:02 AM

34 posts, read 34,397 times
Quote:
I've noticed that most DFW detractors who no longer have a residence here originally came for a job opportunity to advance their career.

They came for a few years, made strides professionally and financially, then packed up and moved on to another opportunity because they never really fit in here. Now they all troll the DFW board with negative things to say about anything DFW or TX related, and completely dismiss that they originally came here for a list of GOOD reasons that outweighed where they were living at the time. Most of them never really made an honest go of discovering what DFW has to offer either.
Which is why most in TX aren't particularly supportive/excited about transplants. A lot of these people are leeches that are here to take advantage of a financial opportunity, have no interest in assimilating and learning about the local culture. And do nothing to be a part of the community outside of gentrification and "where are the best schools." It's tiresome and has priced out families that have been part of communities for decades. My hometown (Grapevine) has went from a blue collared town, to a middle-aged utopia. The Tommy Bahama shirts are thriving on main street lol.

As soon as the economic boom is over these folks are always the first to bounce and search for their next hunting grounds to deplete.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:03 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
True... but to use that against DFW is pretty absurd in some cases, as you can get to a beach extraordinarily easy.

Like people saying it's not easy or cheap to get to Mexico from here? LOL

We basically couldn't be any closer unless we were LIVING in Mexico! Right now, there's roundtrip flights for $177 to Cancun, non-stop, in 2hr and 40 min. To put that in perspective, if I were to drive my wife's SUV to Austin and back, it would cost more than $100 in gas.

And, it would take me longer to drive to Austin! Some people have no idea what they are talking about.

It's also hurricane season right now. The Caribbean is cheap right now because it's an unattractive time of year to go.

And the point of comparison is Boston for OP. There is no reasonable person who can claim that it is cheaper OR easier to get to the beach from Dallas than from Boston.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:04 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:

Is it psychological? Some of us pursue outdoor recreation A LOT. Having better recreation close by would provide a meaningful quality of life improvement. Our family can make it work with what we've got, but this isn't something people have manufactured in their heads.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:28 PM

8,148 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
It's also hurricane season right now. The Caribbean is cheap right now because it's an unattractive time of year to go.

And the point of comparison is Boston for OP. There is no reasonable person who can claim that it is cheaper OR easier to get to the beach from Dallas than from Boston.
Well, Cancun is the only cheap option (for more than one reason) , even though it is the hurricane season and schools are in session. Flight to the previously mentioned Cayman will still run at $700-800.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:01 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Is it psychological? Some of us pursue outdoor recreation A LOT. Having better recreation close by would provide a meaningful quality of life improvement. Our family can make it work with what we've got, but this isn't something people have manufactured in their heads.
I think for a very outdoorsy person to be dissatisfied with a place like DFW that doesn't really offer much outdoor rec is legit, and not psychological or just in their head. They live in a place that doesn't match up with their passions, interests, and hobbies. It's the same as a surfer living in a landlocked place, a die hard city dweller living out in the sticks, or a rural country person living in a huge city. Our moves have always been driven by job opportunities first and foremost, and I think lots of people are in that boat and they just adapt. However, if someone is extremely passionate about some particular type of geography, lifestyle, or locale then the question becomes can they figure out a way to get to that more suitable place? For some people, it could potentially be worth whatever sacrifices they may need to make (ie higher COL place, lesser salary, career change etc) if it means that they can live the kind of life and enjoy doing the things that they love to do.

Last edited by Chloe333; 09-02-2018 at 03:14 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 07:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
I am amazed at how people whine about outdoor recreation here. I've partaken in outdoor recreation here. I've played a couple of different sports outdoors and I've swum laps. I lived in Phoenix and could hike Piestewa Peak and Camelback Mountain there. There's nothing equivalent to that here. It's not a big loss. I'd much rather have Dallas' job market than Phoenix's. I'll give up hiking for a good job market any day.

I just don't think OP needs to move. The situation in Boston is fine.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:16 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Just asking, does anyone from DFW troll The Front Range Boards so much as the way you do Dallas? And how long ago did you move away? - Like a full decade?
For crying out loud I sold a home in Tech Center ~1.5 years ago and we ski Hayden/Steamboat + Beaver 3 or 4X per year and I wouldn't presume to pretend to be an authority regarding Denver or the cultural capital that is Aurora. Get it even a bit?
You really can't handle anybody saying anything remotely critical of DFW can you? OP asked how outdoorsy DFW is and I offered my opinion - an opinion that was largely reinforced by people suggesting the OP drive 3-6+ hours or fly to Mexico to seek out outdoor recreation.

For the record, there is a guy living in Fort Collins who thinks he's an expert on Denver. He's from Houston and, like you, gets his undies in a bunch whenever someone says something negative about the motherland.

Furthermore, if I see someone asking about how outdoorsy DFW, I'm gonna straight-up tell them it's not. If you can't handle seeing that I strongly suggest you use the forum's ignore feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas