Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 09:38 AM

948 posts, read 1,138,609 times

Advertisements

I left my 01 Altima in the garage for over 8 months unmoved. Now I have flat spots on the tires and last night I got a flat but no nails. Have no idea what happened. Probably have to get new tires. How much should I invest on them as it will be for minimal use? Tires start at $40 - 40k miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 09:44 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I left my 01 Altima in the garage for over 8 months unmoved. Now I have flat spots on the tires and last night I got a flat but no nails. Have no idea what happened. Probably have to get new tires. How much should I invest on them as it will be for minimal use? Tires start at $40 - 40k miles.
It's just the way I think but I don't scrimp on tires. My biggest gripe is cheap tires are loud and stiff. I'd double the budget at least.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It's just the way I think but I don't scrimp on tires. My biggest gripe is cheap tires are loud and stiff. I'd double the budget at least.

That's what I thought too. But I will be putting less that 2k annually on this one.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:07 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,541 times
Why do you keep this car ? 2K miles and possibly letting it sit for months at a time doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble. I assume you have another car you are using the rest of the time ? Why not get rid of this one?

Old 09-06-2018, 10:14 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
I've never heard any major problems of a car sitting on tires in a protected space but not moving, or at least certainly not after as short as 8 months. It generally takes years. Boats regularly sit that long on trailers in garages - so do cars in museums. Sure you may occasionally have to put in more air, but that's cheap to free.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I've never heard any major problems of a car sitting on tires in a protected space but not moving, or at least certainly not after as short as 8 months. It generally takes years. Boats regularly sit that long on trailers in garages - so do cars in museums. Sure you may occasionally have to put in more air, but that's cheap to free.

I wasn't aware of the flat spots if you let them sit for a while. Now the mechanic said the shape is not even and kinda wobbly when I drive around but should pick up after driving a while. Yesterday I got a flat for no reason(no nails found either). So now I am concerned if it's safe to drive around anymore.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:38 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Sounds like your tires were in poor condition before they sat, so just buy new tires and don't worry about how much you drive from a tire perspective. The battery and other parts of the car can suffer from non-use, but tires really don't.

Tires naturally lose air also, which can cause a flat. If you are driving regularly, your mechanic is probably checking and filling them every few months at your oil changes. If you are not driving regularly but want to keep the car in running condition, then you will occasionally need to check the air and fill them yourself.

And probably drive it around the block once a month to keep the battery and fuel from going bad.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:46 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
That's what I thought too. But I will be putting less that 2k annually on this one.
Yea. 2k isn't a lot. Maybe really cheap is the way to go.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:02 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
If you're only driving it for 2k miles annually, you'd be better off selling it and just renting a car when you need it. The insurance, inspection, registration, and proper maintenance aren't worth it for driving it so little.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:43 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:

Most areas of town that are gentrifying will still have places with very good deals on decent, used tires - you might have to drive around to find them though. The one by me that I have used before doesn't speak English, takes only cash, and doesn't have a website, but somewhere like Hamm's on Carroll Ave (near intersection of I-30) will likely be very cheap. I ended up running over a nail 3 months before I was going to trade in a car and had no interest in spending much on a tire for the interim (I wouldn't sell a car w/ one lower quality tire to a person but I don't feel bad doing the same to a dealer). The place near me sold me the tire for $35.

But I agree w/ others that maintaining the car and insuring it don't necessarily seem worth the trouble given its infrequent use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas