Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 07:57 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,226,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Those apartments look a bit upscale for a rookie cop's salary.
Not really. A studio runs 1k+. Tons of young professionals making less than a rookie cop's salary live in similar places, often times with student loans, which she probably doesn't have. Sometimes apartments will cut deals for cops as well.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I can't help wondering if the wrong apartment stuff is a lie designed to draw a manslaughter charge as the best possible outcome for Guyger.
Um, Duh? That has been the whole crux of the matter.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:10 PM

692 posts, read 849,951 times
Yeah, they totally had matching curtains, sofas, and lamps. No way a rookie female cop could possibly tell she was in a male accountant's place, nope nope. Clearly interchangeable apartments, totally.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:53 PM

3,202 posts, read 2,313,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
This gets worse the more it progresses. Looks like I'm back to assuming bad things about Dallas cops on principle ( i.e., of self-defense). Sigh. for a whole year or two they looked like they were cleaning up.
So what other Dallas police have done something as egregious or close to it as this? The cop who just got convicted for murder was not Dallas PB but Balch Springs, TX.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,585,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Have you ever spent any time in these apartments or apartments like them? I've lived in one that is similar and have lots of friends who do as well.

Lots of these questions are super specific to the layout of the apartment and could be easily shot down by a a very basic defense . I've not been in this particular building but ones like it.

Here is a picture of the Flats, that is likely the garage. https://www.google.com/maps/place/So...97674?hl=en-US

I think we should be focusing on things like: where in the apartment he was shot, near the door? Deep inside the apartment? What about inconsistencies in the stories? When did her shift end? Was there enough time to hit the bars across the street? Did anyone see a cop getting a drink?
I just meant I have not read any details about how she came to park on the floor above her apt.
I would think if there was a RIGOROUS investigation/interrogation then that info would have been part of what was involved--and more than once...
I think everyone knows that if a regular concealed carry permit holder had done the exact same thing she did, in the same apartment complex, there would be much more judgemental questions and assumptions---
Even if the shooter was Anglo as she is....

Her story does not hang together from what I have read
The charge sheet seems delinquent in its information or slanted vs factual
And I imagine the forensic was skewed just like the interview process...
The police didn't even do a door to door interview initially
The "witnesses" came forward on their own to present testimony about what they heard right before the shooting...

Now any tv show I see or movie ALWAYS among the first instructions of the OIC is to have cops go door to door looking for witnesses...
Why was that omitted???

Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,585,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Not really. A studio runs 1k+. Tons of young professionals making less than a rookie cop's salary live in similar places, often times with student loans, which she probably doesn't have. Sometimes apartments will cut deals for cops as well.
She is not a "rookie"
She has 3 yrs experience and supposedly was considered good enough to qualify for a special detail to apprehend a more serious level of criminal than riding around in a patrol car might send across your path by accident...
I think her whole history sounds like someone was either giving her a special push up the chain or special protection after her shooting that earlier suspect...
She makes mistakes--that is not what gets ordinary cops rewarded...

Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,308,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I can't help wondering if the wrong apartment stuff is a lie designed to draw a manslaughter charge as the best possible outcome for Guyger.
I read somewhere that a murder charge would be more advantageous to her in some ways as far as helping her get found "not guilty". So perhaps the manslaughter charge is the best we can hope for. If found guilty she likely would only get 2 years in prison though. Sickening.

Deep down inside I know she's going to walk away free.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:22 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,152,993 times
Even the conservative National Review thinks this whole thing stinks like week-old fish:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...rtial-justice/

Old 09-12-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Even the conservative National Review thinks this whole thing stinks like week-old fish:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...rtial-justice/
Well yeah, of course, David French (who wrote that) has been outspoken about how fishy this all seems from the beginning. Matt Walsh, over at Daily Wire also condemned it. Ben Shapiro has been retweeting both of them. I would be surprise if The American Conservative don't come out with an article in the next couple days as well.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:47 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Only a jacka$$ would make such an asinine comment. There are many factors that eliminate people from becoming a cop, the test happens to be the easy part. The good ole boy network has other ways of weeding out minorities and women.
There are other requirements to being a cop beyond just taking a test. Do you change the physical test to take people a little less psychical? Do you require 2 years of college or a high school diploma? Or how abut a previous arrest record, what is acceptable on their record to be accepted into training?

All of these factors determine who becomes a Cop beyond just taking a mental test.

How low of a bar do we accept when we have trouble attracting applicants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas