Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 04:13 PM

35 posts, read 30,176 times

Advertisements

This could be the story for tomorrow or not - the protesters have been jailed longer than the Officer who shot and killed a person ...

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaunking...96150259535872

Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I wonder if there will be riots in Dallas.
Nah, too hot to riot in Dallas.

And sometimes there is a bit of justice. Just last month a cop in Dallas got convicted of murdering a black teen.

We're still waiting to see what happens with this new black female police chief. To be honest, the situation is not as bad in Dallas with regard to overall police versus blacks as it is in many places. That's not to say that many individual police officers aren't racist, but the former police chief was black, the new one is black, and the climate isn't as bad as it could be.

When BLM came to Dallas, it rather fizzled out into a mutual love fest (although it ended in bloodshed, but that was clearly one crazy guy--and the black police chief gave the order to take him out.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:45 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
This has the potential to cause serious trouble both in terms of civil unrest, political damage, PR damage and reputational damage because the circumstances of the shooting and the nature of the victim has united opinion across the racial and social divide.

The authorities have not helped themselves by the relatively inept way they are handling it. Three days to arrest Guyger, out of jail after an hour, still employed by the PD, a blatantly transparent attempt to smear Jean, manslaughter instead of murder, etc. etc.. There is a whiff of police and prosecutorial corruption in the air.

Put simply, Guyger has to go to jail for the sake of the police department, the prosecutors, the mayor, etc.. That is the only way they can save face and say that justice has been served.

That is why it is manslaughter and not murder. That way, Guyger can get a plea deal, plead guilty and be out in a couple of years.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 09-17-2018 at 05:11 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 05:58 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Say what? What cities/states do you live that would allow that??

That would allow the landlord to enter your apt without your permission or acknowledgement?

In NYC, if the landlord needs to enter my apt they would call or email and instruct me to leave the top lock unlock so they could enter the apt. They have the keys to the bottom lock.
You’re not in New York anymore. I am not sure why you would assume anything about real estate leasing laws or tenant rights elsewhere just because they are a certain way in NYC. This is Texas where tenants have very, very few rights, and basically no one to prosecute the offenders if they violate them.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:07 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
In NYC, a super or landlord would need permission to enter an apt. The top lock belongs to the renter and the bottom lock belongs to the landlord.
Yea no. FWIIW my wife and I have owned a place in NYC for many years. The building super may enter at his discretion in the event of a water leak, smoke, power issue, bouncing washing machine and a thousand other things and only call us later. This has occurred several times over the years.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:27 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I dunno about New York, but I've never seen an apartment in Texas that had two separate locks.

There are circumstances in Texas in which an apartment can be entered even with the tenant's express refusal...those would be certain health and safety situations, such as vermin eradication.

Or emergency maintenance. If you're pipes burst and the apartments below are getting flooded, do you think they are going to wait until you get home from work or worse, back from vacation?

Old 09-17-2018, 07:48 PM

200 posts, read 548,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
This has the potential to cause serious trouble both in terms of civil unrest, political damage, PR damage and reputational damage because the circumstances of the shooting and the nature of the victim has united opinion across the racial and social divide.

The authorities have not helped themselves by the relatively inept way they are handling it. Three days to arrest Guyger, out of jail after an hour, still employed by the PD, a blatantly transparent attempt to smear Jean, manslaughter instead of murder, etc. etc.. There is a whiff of police and prosecutorial corruption in the air.

Put simply, Guyger has to go to jail for the sake of the police department, the prosecutors, the mayor, etc.. That is the only way they can save face and say that justice has been served.

That is why it is manslaughter and not murder. That way, Guyger can get a plea deal, plead guilty and be out in a couple of years.
To be realistic, given the lack of evidence manslaughter actually may be a safer bet than murder...unless there are new evidences to prove the intent. At least having a trigger happy cop leave the force would be good for the society and may save more lives in the future.

Compare to previous cases:
In the case of philando castile, the suspect was found not guilty but accepted the buyout to leave the police force:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...out/466918001/

In another case, the suspect was convicted and fired, then sentenced to clean toilets:
https://abc7ny.com/news/exclusive-se...ilets/1346176/

Old 09-17-2018, 08:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Going for murder would make for a sure not guilty vote from the jury.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:34 PM

487 posts, read 467,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Going for murder would make for a sure not guilty vote from the jury.
I agree. Can they force a lie detector test? This young man would be the age of my son, i feel for his mother and the pain she must be experiencing because an officer of the LAW made a bizarre mistake?

Old 09-18-2018, 03:37 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Yea no. FWIIW my wife and I have owned a place in NYC for many years. The building super may enter at his discretion in the event of a water leak, smoke, power issue, bouncing washing machine and a thousand other things and only call us later. This has occurred several times over the years.
The only time a super/landlord can enter an apt in NYC is the below. You should have read up on your rights.
A bouncing washing machine?? you left a washing machine unattended and the super had to go into your apt to shut it down??

9. Can my landlord enter my apartment at any time?
Generally no. However, a landlord may enter a tenant's apartment in some situations. For example, the landlord can enter your apartment:

At a reasonable time after providing appropriate notice if the entry is either
To provide necessary or agreed upon repairs or services, or
In accordance with the lease, or
To show the apartment to prospective tenants or purchasers; and
In an emergency, at any time and without notice.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/renter...faqs.page#faq9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas