Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2019, 08:03 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,146,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
They're all minorities. Whites have been minorities in Texas since 2003.
Mathematically impossible.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:03 AM

18,527 posts, read 7,284,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Mathematically impossible.
No, it's not impossible for every group to be less than half the total.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Not saying anything but I can tell you that I've done the exact same thing she did. I got off on the wrong floor and entered the apartment directly below mine not paying attention. It honestly can happen!!

Either way: this whole situation is horrible for everyone involved.
In those times, how many of them did you draw a weapon issued to you by the populace of the city you were sworn to protect?

When you drew the weapon and saw that you were in the wrong house, did you fire on the first thing you saw?

When that person you fired upon was sitting down eating ****ing ice cream, where were you threatened?

Quit making excuses. That pendeja murdered a guy, there’s a reason the “thin blue wall” vanished quick when facts started coming out.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, it's not impossible for every group to be less than half the total.
That isn’t a minority. A minority is the smaller part. Therefore, they cannot all be minorities.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:37 AM

87 posts, read 103,795 times
Can anyone explain about her lying shift? So she didn't worked a 13-14 shift beforehand? I can't seem to find anything on the news.

As for OJ, I remember reading a Sports Illustrated article after his acquittal. He was golfing as a single at LA municipal courses. There were many who refused to play with him, and others who did.

I was doing the same here in DFW. I was wondering back then what would I've done if I was suddenly partnered up with him.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:41 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,981,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I think we have made mistakes like this. I have walked into women's restroom by mistake. The issue here is she pulled a gun and fired. She is responsible for the death of a man who's only mistake was not locking his door. I think she was over charged with a murder charge. I do not believe her intentions were to go to his apartment and kill him. She opened the wrong door and killed the occupant. This is not murder but her negligence caused the death of a man. She should have pay for her crime. Manslaughter should have been the original charge and she should serve 5 to 8 years in prison.

Murder in TX does not require premeditation. The only determining characteristic of murder in this state: when you pull out a weapon, did you intend to kill them?

She did not wake up in the morning with a plan to kill Botham Jean. However, as soon as she pulled out her gun, her intent was to kill. That's all that matters. She didn't fire her gun recklessly and she wasn't aiming for another person or object. She took aim at him and killed him. Murder is the correct charge. The jury must have this point hammered home to them so they understand that murder is more appropriate than manslaughter.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:43 AM

28,575 posts, read 18,614,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Relative to the population of Dallas, whites are underrepresented on the jury. 2 white people on a 12 person jury is only 17% white, and Dallas is 30% white. Dallas County is 33% white. 3-4 white jurors would have been representative of the racial composition of Dallas.

Blacks are overrepresented on the jury relative to their share of the Dallas and Dallas County population. Hispanic representation is fairly indicative of Dallas and Dallas County.

We didn't get a view of the jury selection process, so we don't have any facts about how the jury was selected. There aren't any deliberate balancing mechanisms on the base jury pool selection (although the fact that being on a jury pays--but not much--and people with means are more able to evade it leads to something of a self-selection mechanism), and counsels only have a limited number of pre-emptions.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:45 AM

28,575 posts, read 18,614,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Murder in TX does not require premeditation. The only determining characteristic of murder in this state: when you pull out a weapon, did you intend to kill them?

And also: Was the intent to kill in that moment (the decision to use deadly force=intent to kill) legally justified by the circumstances, e.g., legitimate self-defense?

Quote:
She did not wake up in the morning with a plan to kill Botham Jean. However, as soon as she pulled out her gun, her intent was to kill. That's all that matters. She didn't fire her gun recklessly and she wasn't aiming for another person or object. She took aim at him and killed him. Murder is the correct charge. The jury must have this point hammered home to them so they understand that murder is more appropriate than manslaughter.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITinCC View Post
Can anyone explain about her lying shift? So she didn't worked a 13-14 shift beforehand? I can't seem to find anything on the news.

As for OJ, I remember reading a Sports Illustrated article after his acquittal. He was golfing as a single at LA municipal courses. There were many who refused to play with him, and others who did.

I was doing the same here in DFW. I was wondering back then what would I've done if I was suddenly partnered up with him.

She worked a long shift (13-14 hours-ish). The issue was that she spent the entire shift sitting near an interrogation room, texting and surfing on her phone. On this particular day, she wasn't out patrolling or actively handling any kind of cases or emergencies. I'm sure there were days where she was overworked, but on this particular day, she earned overtime doing nothing. The idea of her being tired and overwhelmed falls flat...especially in light of the text messages and plans she had for a nightcap.

The fact she deleted a bunch of text messages but kept all the sexually explicit messages says a lot. She thought the sexual messages were ok to keep but somehow deleted all the ones after she shot Jean. Really wish we could know what she texted. That sort of thing would really help as to knowing her state of mind. Obviously she knew that it would make her look bad, so better to delete.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We didn't get a view of the jury selection process, so we don't have any facts about how the jury was selected. There aren't any deliberate balancing mechanisms on the base jury pool selection (although the fact that being on a jury pays--but not much--and people with means are more able to evade it leads to something of a self-selection mechanism), and counsels only have a limited number of pre-emptions.
Great points. This is exactly why her team wanted to move the trial out of Dallas. The black, Latino and white populations are "relatively" even. In the surrounding burbs, your overall jury pool is much whiter and you're more likely to find people that would sympathize with Guyger and less likely to sympathize with Jean. That doesn't mean every suburban white person would side with her, but it's just a matter of playing the odds.

It's also why the prosecution wanted to keep this in Dallas....playing the odds. With five blacks on the jury, the best she can (likely) hope for is a mistrial. It's doubtful all five would let her off.....even less likely that 5 blacks and 4 Latinos would all side with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas