Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:06 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times

Advertisements

To the OP’s question: No.

Pick a neighborhood and commute that you like. Doesn’t matter which city it is in. I thought Katana had some good suggestions upthread (Parker, Murphy, etc.). Those areas are definitely worth checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 12:14 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketomove5 View Post
Im curious if there is really a difference between living in different areas around Dallas. I really want McKinney but the commute might be too much for my husband. He is working about LBJ and 75. With that bit of knowledge we are thinking more about Allen or Plano. Are the schools and general living that different from one of these places compared to another. We are just an average family, with average academic level kids. I want to build or buy new almost complete in the $600k range and want to put in a pool.
Any difference will be splitting the thinnest of hairs.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Not true. You can still get a new build home close to US75 in Plano and in Richardson. There are new homes being built on Alma, 15th and Custer in Plano for example, and on the east side of US75 in Richardson.

There's new construction all over Richardson; there are some new housing developments north of Campbell nearish to UTD and there's also in-fill happening all over the place if the lot is good. Even interior .2 to .3 acre lots are getting rebuilds. It's an unfortunate development that many of us in older neighborhoods aren't happy about, mostly because the houses being built are not only twice the size but hideous to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
There are some new build homes at City line in Richardson (going fast). New Construction in Far East Plano at FM 544 and Heritage Parkway. New construction in East Richardson at Renner Road and Brand Road. New construction in Murphy on Murphy Road just south of Betsy Lane.

I have no idea the costs of these houses though.
See above.

New construction in Richardson is sold at a high premium and if it's not in-fill in an existing established neighborhood, the locations are often less than desirable.

I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere in Richardson east of 75 because shopping options are so thin on the ground. I don't want to drive 3-4 miles to get to a grocery store.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:54 AM

130 posts, read 153,900 times
I commute to 635/75 area everyday, from Plano 75075. This area is fairly close to 75 and on the southern/central portion of Plano. During rush hour, it will take you 30-35 min. Thankfully I have flexibility of hours and don't usually mess with the 8-5 crowd. During non-peak, the same commute takes ~15 min. I've been spoiled by this and could not fathom living in Allen/McKinney which would easily double/triple the commute time. Best part is, I have 3-4 different routes I can choose from in case 75 is backed up... which would be nearly impossible in case of McKinney or even Allen.

Like some other posters have said, "newer" builds are are less in Plano compared to the other cities. But they are there, and definitely command more$/sqft. This is due to to Plano's relative proximity to Dallas, of course the schools, desirability and reputation it's built up over the past few decades due to various factors (i.e. safety, city services/ planning, corporate relos, diverse population, abundance of shopping & dining, schools... yes again).

Here's one in your price range that will be a quick 'n easy commute:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M81794-65005

Old 09-27-2018, 12:38 PM

446 posts, read 846,300 times
Personally, I don't find much difference between these suburbs. Some areas are newer than others, but it's all the same and it feels generic. As with any city, the closer you are to a major jobs center, the more you'll pay per sq ft (all else equal). If your priority is short commute, you may spend more for newer homes. If you want that 5K sq ft home at a given budget in a good school district, you'll probably spend more time in traffic. Figure out your priorities first then figure out location from there.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:39 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Open google maps, mark your work place, draw a circle of 10 mile radius, look up schools there and pick a feeder you like, find within budget housing inventory in that feeder zone. Narrow it down to 10-20 homes, pick best suited one for your lifestyle.
Do all that and then run Google traffic during rush hours as well.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:56 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere in Richardson east of 75 because shopping options are so thin on the ground. I don't want to drive 3-4 miles to get to a grocery store.
Idk, which part are you talking about but I had a coffee meeting with a client last weekend at Starbucks on Renner Road and Northstar and that area has access to everything now, from grocery to dinning, shopping etc. You name it, they have it.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:02 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Do all that and then run Google traffic during rush hours as well.
Good tip as rush hour traffic can be crazy. It’s important to take commute seriously because it’s only getting worse. OP, if you aren’t hellbent on brand new, there are some nice homes in 75093, you’ll get nice neighborhood, access to everything, best schools, more than likely a free swimming pool and decent commute.

(Full Disclosure: It’s my neighborhood and I’m strongly biased, really love this area.)

Old 09-28-2018, 06:10 AM

554 posts, read 683,959 times
What about Castle Hills in Carrollton? I don't know whether there are any new builds left in the southeast corner of the development, but it seems like it could be a fit price-wise, has good schools, and would be a decent commute if you could be in the far southern portion of the development...

Old 09-28-2018, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,466 times
Default Enough

I am a newcomer here, also looking to settle somewhere in the northern suburbs of Dallas (Plano/Allen/Frisco/McKinnney). I am saddened by the constant bickering on this forum.

Please stop. Can each of you PLEASE think about your audience? Us "new to Dallas" folks are just looking for answers to our questions. I personally am under undue stress to make a decision about where my family will live quickly and the constant attacks on each other for favoring one location or another is difficult to take under such stress. We're just trying to weed out the noise and make a decision about which areas to focus in on based on our preferences. That's it.

Please think before you fire back a response. We're here and need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: