Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 12:45 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times

Advertisements

Temperature swings of 30-40 degrees are common all over the southern states, even into Northern Florida, during the winter months. This isn't unique to Texas. I would just say that this upcoming drop is a bit earlier than usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 12:48 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeliza View Post
Of course I was aware. What I wasn't aware of is how being stuck indoors for such a long period of time would affect me. I'm certainly entitled to my opinion that the summers here are unbearable, even with the knowledge TX is hot. Just as you're entitled to enjoying the fall here. From the above, it sounds like the OP likes this type of weather. May be a good move for them. Best of luck.
After you get used to it you won't be stuck indoors. You just go about normal life and sweat a little.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Temperature swings of 30-40 degrees are common all over the southern states, even into Northern Florida, during the winter months. This isn't unique to Texas. I would just say that this upcoming drop is a bit earlier than usual.
It's earlier than normal? Interesting. Here, we just had our first cooldown but it's a month late, at least. Sure feels good now though. We had dewpoints above 70 for virtually the entire summer.

How's the weather in Texas now? Saw on the Weather Channel a few hours ago that there were tornado warnings SW of Dallas/Ft Worth a hundred or so miles.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:53 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's earlier than normal? Interesting. Here, we just had our first cooldown but it's a month late, at least. Sure feels good now though. We had dewpoints above 70 for virtually the entire summer.

How's the weather in Texas now? Saw on the Weather Channel a few hours ago that there were tornado warnings SW of Dallas/Ft Worth a hundred or so miles.
It's not early for a cool down...it's early for there to be a high in the 40s, as is predicted for this Monday and Tuesday.

For reference:

During October, "Daily high temperatures decrease by 11°F, from 84°F to 73°F, rarely falling below 61°F or exceeding 92°F."

https://weatherspark.com/m/8813/10/A...-United-States

Old 10-13-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
It's not early for a cool down...it's early for there to be a high in the 40s, as is predicted for this Monday and Tuesday.

For reference:

During October, "Daily high temperatures decrease by 11°F, from 84°F to 73°F, rarely falling below 61°F or exceeding 92°F."

https://weatherspark.com/m/8813/10/A...-United-States
Ah, I see. I didn't realize the forecast was for temps that cool.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:48 PM

537 posts, read 598,259 times
Minneapolis has even more severe weather changes. Just a few weeks ago it was unbearably hot and humid (upper 80s, but more humid than in DFW) and now temperatures are dropping below freezing.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:39 PM

84 posts, read 105,790 times
Dallas weather does kind of suck, it's certainly not the worst weather in the US, but it's way too hot most of the year.
The problem is it does not cool off at night like many other places do.

Heck, much of Arizona (excluding Phoenix) feels practically like Antarctica in the summer in the morning compared to Dallas. Even Tucson is way cooler than Dallas half of the day, during the day they both suck in the summer. Tucson is much less humid (of course), but it's still so hot that humidity or no humidity it feels bad. That said, Texas summers are some of the worst in the US, Texas + entire Gulf Coast = horrible, only place worse is Laredo and McAllen and I would have to say Phoenix (humidity or not, 110+ feels horrible).

There was no fall this year, it appears to be going straight from late summer to early winter (well winter by Texas standards).
Then it might go back to 'almost fall', but then probably will be a cold Nov...

It's almost going to be cold enough to sleet, could happen on far NW outskirts in the hills.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:03 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
Interested in relocating to Plano or Frisco area but this weather is fascinating

We visited in May and had blue skies every day so you get everything down there it seems? But patterns are unique
Back in '13 it went from 86 to 15 in 36 hours in early December.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:27 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,932 times
All that's happening is that the coming cold airmass will be accompanied by overcast skies, thanks to tropical moisture streaming in from the Gulf/Pacific, then condensing. So you not only have the temperature drop, you have thick clouds blocking the sun from heating things up.

The phenomenon is known as "overruning," and it makes cold drops more severe than they otherwise would be. Without the clouds and rain, this coming 44F day probably would be a nice 60F or 70F day.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:18 AM

142 posts, read 362,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Back in '13 it went from 86 to 15 in 36 hours in early December.
Icemageddeon....cobblestone ice....I remember it well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas