Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 07:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaolga View Post
How much would you priced ?

I like backyard as a potential buyer ( that's why I got in first place, lot size 10,500 sqft . Has mature trees , BBQ area, sunny and shade - keep it nice on hot summer ) . I paid 210 plus put $35 k to upgrade. it is back alee behind a trees so you do not see any cars . I also add new fence ......

I do not know what to do............advise
This isn't a remodel...it's a half-hearted attempt to polish a turd.

OP, I'm going to level with you. This is an ugly house with an ugly front yard that clearly needs quite a bit of work. The landscaping in the backyard is lame and that fire pit looks ugly and poorly constructed.

The tile work on the fireplace is substandard...it leaps out at me from the pictures and my eyesight isn't great, so I can only imagine what it looks like in person. Also, who picked out that tile? It looks like something from a Vegas bordello.

Also, the floors are dirty in the pictures. You couldn't have swept & mopped them first?

Additionally...you couldn't have spent something on decent light fixtures & ceiling fans? Let me guess...you didn't change any of them. They look like something straight out of Home Depot's Boring Suburbia 2007 line. Boob lights everywhere, except the "vintage" Hollywood strip light in the bathroom. (That just screams "I CHEAPED OUT!")

Kitchen....lemme guess..."new" appliances (from Craigslist or the lowest-end builder grade from a big box store) and...what is that...granite? Quartz? Probably granite. Looks like new floor & backsplash tile too. Guess what you forgot? NEW CABINETS. Zillow states that the house was built in 1985 and those cabinets fit the bill for 80s builder grade junk. I mean, come on...you could have at least painted them and put knobs on them to hide (to the casual observer) exactly where you cheaped out on your flip. I see you nodded to the "paint all the walls gray" crowd, but you paired it with the wrong color tile. It clashes and it's ugly.

In the bedrooms, I can't tell if the flooring is laminate or a better surface. At your price point, it's probably laminate, right? Yuck. I'd put carpet down before laminate.

It also looks like you swapped out some of the face plates on outlets & switches but not the outlets & switches themselves, since some of them are a different color. Looks like they've been painted previously. Way to save a dollar & 10 minutes per.

By the way, 1985 called...it wants its ugly bathroom vanity area back. Same cabs as the kitchen too. Niiiiiiiiice. (Not.)

(Love the plastic Adirondack chairs. You should have plowed that $40 into literally anything else.)

Hey...you asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelletti View Post
Can you send me a link as well. Out of curiousity though if its on the internet why not post it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
IDK, I think if the OP wants to post the link, that is up to him/her.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-13615?view=qv

You're welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 07:53 AM

7 posts, read 6,207 times
It's hard to give more advice without seeing the house. I see you asked about staging in a previous reply and I would say definitely get some staging done. Only 2 showings in 45 days is a real issue. That usually signifies price or pictures since that's really all people have to go off of before they see it.

Without having seen the house or listing, I would suggest consulting a professional staging company, take new pictures once the staging is done, lower the price slightly so it syndicates to a new set of buyers and offer some closing cost concessions to the buyer up front.

Then, market it relentlessly. Ask your agent for marketing materials so that you can help as well. Ask for flyers and postcards to hand out, ask for a single property website to post to social media and send to your friends and family and then ask all of your connections to share as well. Get out and talk to your neighbors to see if they have any friends or family that they may want to live in their area.

Your agent should have some ideas as well.

Good Luck. Keep us posted.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:03 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I agree with BigDGeeks comments. L

The yard is a HUGE turn-off, especially the back yard. People with kids and pets don't want a yard that is going to be mostly mud when it rains. You need GRASS in both front and back, and some serious curb appeal landscaping in the front.

Those cheap, old cabinets and ugly light fixtures, along with the living area floor that really needs cleaned/polished, make me wonder where else corners were cut, or things were done on the cheap.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:30 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Agree with the others.

You know what turns off smart buyers in an instant? Seeing the condition of the front yard.

Here's the thing... Not everyone has the money or desire to remodel their outdated home. But EVERYONE who owns a home should be able to maintain their yard and landscaping. It shows pride of ownership. It shows that the owner likes to keep things nice, even if what they have inside isn't necessarily new. I would rather buy a home with the original fixtures and flooring that is in good condition vs buying a gut job and a half hearted remodel.

If you bought this as a cheap flip, I think you needed to do your homework on what a total and complete renovation would cost, because now it just looks like lipstick on a pig.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:11 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
BigD was maybe more harsh than I would have been, but unfortunately, he is correct. It is pretty rough. My biggest turn off is actually the patchwork flooring. Each individual flooring type is not great, but then patch them together and, ugh! I would spend maybe $10k for a $20k return:
At least a better trim color on front exterior, and remove ugly storm door, repaint front door, or strip and stain it, or replace (front door really helps curb appeal)
pick a floor and make it consistent for at least all floors seen when one walks in
general clean up of floors, shrubs, little details
paint the cabinets white or light gray
spend the rest getting the backyard in livable shape, per the other comments
These are minimal to cost you minimal money, but would help
Really needs about $60k put into it for the $300k price tag
The back yard could really be a show-stopper if you wanted to really go-for-it there (like $60k just in backyard)
It seems like everyone with school age kids wants to be in Allen, so if you spend a little to shake the dust off, it will only be painful for a minute, until you see the return, I think

Old 10-23-2018, 10:30 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Accurate AF +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This isn't a remodel...it's a half-hearted attempt to polish a turd.

OP, I'm going to level with you. This is an ugly house with an ugly front yard that clearly needs quite a bit of work. The landscaping in the backyard is lame and that fire pit looks ugly and poorly constructed.

The tile work on the fireplace is substandard...it leaps out at me from the pictures and my eyesight isn't great, so I can only imagine what it looks like in person. Also, who picked out that tile? It looks like something from a Vegas bordello.

Also, the floors are dirty in the pictures. You couldn't have swept & mopped them first?

Additionally...you couldn't have spent something on decent light fixtures & ceiling fans? Let me guess...you didn't change any of them. They look like something straight out of Home Depot's Boring Suburbia 2007 line. Boob lights everywhere, except the "vintage" Hollywood strip light in the bathroom. (That just screams "I CHEAPED OUT!")

Kitchen....lemme guess..."new" appliances (from Craigslist or the lowest-end builder grade from a big box store) and...what is that...granite? Quartz? Probably granite. Looks like new floor & backsplash tile too. Guess what you forgot? NEW CABINETS. Zillow states that the house was built in 1985 and those cabinets fit the bill for 80s builder grade junk. I mean, come on...you could have at least painted them and put knobs on them to hide (to the casual observer) exactly where you cheaped out on your flip. I see you nodded to the "paint all the walls gray" crowd, but you paired it with the wrong color tile. It clashes and it's ugly.

In the bedrooms, I can't tell if the flooring is laminate or a better surface. At your price point, it's probably laminate, right? Yuck. I'd put carpet down before laminate.

It also looks like you swapped out some of the face plates on outlets & switches but not the outlets & switches themselves, since some of them are a different color. Looks like they've been painted previously. Way to save a dollar & 10 minutes per.

By the way, 1985 called...it wants its ugly bathroom vanity area back. Same cabs as the kitchen too. Niiiiiiiiice. (Not.)

(Love the plastic Adirondack chairs. You should have plowed that $40 into literally anything else.)

Hey...you asked.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-13615?view=qv

You're welcome.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:38 AM

19,770 posts, read 18,055,300 times
This kinda makes the point that one of my realtor buddies has made. Her claim is there are many homes on the market - like 40% in the burbs - in which people are asking prices that are incongruent with the quality of the home.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
BigD was maybe more harsh than I would have been, but unfortunately, he is correct. It is pretty rough.
Thanks...I like to think of myself as "blunt" rather than "harsh." Everyone else on the thread seemed to be pussyfooting around the real issues so I just laid 'em out.

P.S. I'm a she.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 10,987 times
Thank you for all replies. I will work on the house , will reduce price and I hope some family will like.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:43 AM

13 posts, read 10,987 times
or re - sale to investors for right price ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas