Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Someone will accuse my of trolling, but I always found DFW to be incredibly rude and pretentious, nothing like other Southern municipalities. It never appealed to me. Is there an amazing amount of things to do there? Yep. Are there seemingly limitless opportunities for economic advancement? You bet. That´s probably what keeps a lot of people moving there and many staying put.
Your assessment is accurate. There is definitely a pretentious element here, more on the D side than the FW side of the Metroplex. I don't know about rude though. People are not as in your face rude as some other places, but its more of spineless rudeness in a sense.

If I didn't have to be here for work and social reasons, I'd think I'd enjoy being somewhere with a more sparse population in West Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 06:26 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Well his rant seems to fit Plano and the northern burbs better than Dallas itself.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:48 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Well his rant seems to fit Plano and the northern burbs better than Dallas itself.

What's funny about so many of these rants about how the northern suburbs were better back in the day is that even though there were less people in Plano in total, they were more crowded into a smaller area. For example central Plano (between Ohio & Spring Creek and south to G Bush and most of east Plano to Shiloh) has actually lost population since the '90s because families are smaller and fewer people are in each house. Old Allen is the same way.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
What's funny about so many of these rants about how the northern suburbs were better back in the day is that even though there were less people in Plano in total, they were more crowded into a smaller area. For example central Plano (between Ohio & Spring Creek and south to G Bush and most of east Plano to Shiloh) has actually lost population since the '90s because families are smaller and fewer people are in each house. Old Allen is the same way.
Care to back this up with facts?

I don't think any part of Plano has lost population for any decade since I've been here, in the 80's. When I got here, Coit was a 1 lane road. Parker was 2 lane, as were all the other major roads that are now 3 lane.

Traffic has gotten progressively worse every year, meaning more people, not less.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:02 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Traffic can get worse with a stagnant population. Carrollton, where i live, has grown very modestly but traffic has grown like crazy because of an increase in people commuting through the city, thanks to growth in Lewisville, Plano, and Frisco.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Traffic can get worse with a stagnant population. Carrollton, where i live, has grown very modestly but traffic has grown like crazy because of an increase in people commuting through the city, thanks to growth in Lewisville, Plano, and Frisco.

None of the northern suburbs are experiencing stagnant or decreasing populations so your example is inaccurate.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:58 AM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
My in-laws have lived in Mansfield for almost 20 years and it’s always seemed nice. Now that we’re here temporarily, I was shocked in how pretentious it is here. I think this is the result of the stereotypical Dallas attitude mixed in with new money. It’s like people go out of their way to show off their material things more than most suburbs I’ve been in, Westchester County included. In Manhattan, we lived amongst multimillionaires but you’d never know it.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:03 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
My in-laws have lived in Mansfield for almost 20 years and it’s always seemed nice. Now that we’re here temporarily, I was shocked in how pretentious it is here. I think this is the result of the stereotypical Dallas attitude mixed in with new money. It’s like people go out of their way to show off their material things more than most suburbs I’ve been in, Westchester County included. In Manhattan, we lived amongst multimillionaires but you’d never know it.
Come on.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:29 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
None of the northern suburbs are experiencing stagnant or decreasing populations so your example is inaccurate.
I said Carrollton has modest growth. Low enough that I consider it stagnant.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I said Carrollton has modest growth. Low enough that I consider it stagnant.

LOL Sure.

https://www.cityofcarrollton.com/dep...e/demographics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas