Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2018, 10:48 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times

Advertisements

Political yard signs are really dumb. If you change your vote because of years signs, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

The two most likely things political yard signs are likely to accomplish are vandalism and neighbors not talking to you anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
The Blue wave will happen as much because of independents and republicans who side with maintaining at least a certain amount of decorum and morality in this country. That's why the Beto signs are in republican territory, and some conservatives are voting straight ticket democrat like some of these folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8P6YxZA8o&t=108s
All of the media outlets have been hunting for wishy-washy Republicans like this. Don't be fooled into thinking those are typical Republicans. The media has been working overtime at creating a narrative that trump voters regret their decision, but it's nothing more than more media propaganda.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:02 AM

307 posts, read 531,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Let's revisit this after election day.
This is another good example you can see in the Dallas Morning News letters section online today. (and Yes, lifelong conservative George Will recommends voting democrat across the board. If you can't see Trump by now, you may be part of the problem. J.K. Rowling recently said,"It's now impossible for any Trump supporter to pretend they don't know what he is." .)

Taking George Will's advice
I have officially renounced my independence! On Nov. 6, I will do something I have never done before in my life — I will vote exclusively for a slate of candidates recommended by prominent Republican George Will. Per his recommendation I will vote only for Democratic candidates or any third-party candidate who opposes the White Russian (formerly GOP) party in any race locally or nationally.

I will not support a party that believes American Nazis are "very fine people," rips screaming children from their parents' arms and then locks them in cages, conspires with foreign enemies to maintain their grip on power, specializes in voter suppression, thinks women should be seen but not heard and loves to discriminate against LGBT people.

I cannot support a party that refuses to uphold their oaths to the Constitution and prefers the leadership of dictators and authoritarians over longtime proven world leaders and allies, a party that nominates a man accused of sexual assault to the Supreme Court and a party that rouses its base of white supremacists with immigration policies based exclusively on cruelty. I could go on.

Last edited by Ablebodied; 11-04-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
All of the media outlets have been hunting for wishy-washy Republicans like this. Don't be fooled into thinking those are typical Republicans. The media has been working overtime at creating a narrative that trump voters regret their decision, but it's nothing more than more media propaganda.
That's what the Fox universe believes, I get that. I have conservative Facebook friends who post posters and videos everyday that are generated by conservative propagandists. It saddens me that people I thought to be pretty intelligent have fallen into the Fox bubble and can't understand fact from fiction, whether it's on Fox or CNN. I watch Fox all the time because well rounded people look at everything that is out there to be well rounded and informed. How intelligent people can believe a republican controlled House, Senate, Attorney General, president who could take action on these matters, that there can be any legitimacy to Benghazi, Clinton Cash, Uranium One, Obama wiretapping, and it goes on and on. All I hear about from my conservative friends are Soros did it, and some crazy Q theory. It's sad.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:03 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Don't be fooled into thinking those are typical Republicans. The media has been working overtime at creating a narrative that trump voters regret their decision, but it's nothing more than more media propaganda.

Actually I know quite a few Republicans who regret voting for Trump. If the Democrats field a decent candidate at all in 2020, they'll just stay home and not vote.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:09 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
The Blue wave will happen as much because of independents and republicans who side with maintaining at least a certain amount of decorum and morality in this country. That's why the Beto signs are in republican territory, and some conservatives are voting straight ticket democrat like some of these folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8P6YxZA8o&t=108s
Let's relax with the Blue Wave talk. Listen there is no chance your side will pick up as many Senate and US Rep seats as the republicans did in 2010. My guess is the democrats will take the house and the republicans will increase their Senate seats by 1 or 2.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Let's relax with the Blue Wave talk. Listen there is no chance your side will pick up as many Senate and US Rep seats as the republicans did in 2010. My guess is the democrats will take the house and the republicans will increase their Senate seats by 1 or 2.
No argument on the senate side. A close examination reveals the path is small for democrats this term.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:00 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
I have friends in Texas who are life-long GOP. They've ALWAYS voted GOP. Every single one of them voted early, last week, and voted for Beto. I don't think I'd call 50-75 year old adults, who have voted GOP their entire lives, "wishy washy Republicans".

And yes, they do regret their Trump vote.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Actually I know quite a few Republicans who regret voting for Trump. If the Democrats field a decent candidate at all in 2020, they'll just stay home and not vote.
I don't know a single one. Im not suggesting you're lying, but I am stating that anecdotal evidence in politics is worthless. The ones I know have all become more resolute due to the one-sided media coverage and things like the kavanaugh circus.

Your point about Republicans not voting is a good one though. For the Republicans that are dissatisfied with Trump, they will stay home. Very few will vote for Democrats. But the narrative the media pushes is that all kinds of hardcore, lifelong conservatives are flocking to vote Democrat and that's simply hogwash. They either vote Republican, or they stay home like when the Republicans ran losers like Mittens and McStain.

You raise another good point, which is that the Dems have to run a decent candidate. That's easier said than done. Much like with Republicans, the Democrat base doesn't want some milquetoast moderate candidate either. Problem is the American electoral system favors rural areas, and rural areas arent likely to vote for someone the leftwing base is excited about.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
I think dems will have more than moral victories Tuesday. Sessions in trouble for sure, that district has flipped and Hillary won it even with Trump being elected. Texans are too easy on republicans, they control everything, could do something about property taxes but won't, then during election time come out and say what the dems won't do if they are elected. If Beto finishes strong I would say Texas would have transitioned to purple, for sure if he wins. By 2020, a strong democratic candidate may carry the state.
I live in the 32nd and while I see more yard signs for Sessions than I do for Allred, I would put my money on Allred in a squeaker. Pollsters are saying this race is too close to call, which is a huge turnaround from what it looked like in 2016 when Sessions ran against a Libertarian and a Green. Democrats didn't bother with that race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
3. Collin County is 17% Asian. It will probably be 20% Asian at some point soon. For outsiders, I think it's difficult to imagine a suburban part of Metro Dallas being heavily East and South Asian. Asian-Americans are a fast growing and important voting group. Republican candidates have been having issues courting Asian voters, which is an interesting case study. Residents of this area can that say they can serve as a microcosm of a larger issue.
Collin County is definitely pretty Asian, but how many of them are actually US citizens? Of those who are US citizens, how many vote regularly? In my line of work I know a lot of people from India and China. Most of them aren't even permanent residents, let alone US citizens. And many from India who have held a green card long enough to qualify for naturalization choose not to apply for US citizenship because they fear losing their Indian citizenship. Given that the overwhelming majority of Collin County's foreign-born Asians come from one of those two countries, I'd hazard a guess that only a minority of that 20% are even eligible to vote.

However...of the half dozen or so Indians I know who are US citizens, all are solid Republican voters. The Republican Party has heavily courted affluent south Asians with promises of eliminating the country cap on green cards and of quadrupling/quintupling the number of H1B visas issued yearly. They're obviously hoping to be paid back with continued campaign contributions, party loyalty, and votes (once those south Asians take US citizenship...if they choose to). (South Asians seem to like the promises of "fiscal responsibility" and low taxes, too...just like affluent white voters.)

Pete Sessions and Ted Cruz are both on record as supporting the Republican Hindu Coalition (yup, that is a thing) and as supporters of increasing H1B visa numbers. Kevin Yoder, a Republican from Kansas who is on track to lose his reelection bid this year, is a very vocal supporter of eliminating the country cap on green cards and is beloved by south Asian IT professionals.

Can't really speak for Chinese people because in my experience they're pretty tight-lipped about politics at work. I don't ask political questions, but other people do...and I pay attention to how they answer. The Chinese hedge & dodge the question. The south Asians give their opinions much more freely...I guess the difference is that one nationality is from a totalitarian regime and the other is from "the world's largest democracy."

Point is...I don't see south Asian voters around here abandoning the Republican Party. At all. One Indian lady whom I've remained friends with for over a decade posted pictures of herself in her MAGA hat on Facebook two years ago and is posting this week about Ted Cruz and his "red wave."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas