Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 01:23 PM

578 posts, read 479,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I'm not talking about Beto or Cruz, I said the GOP and Dems. The GOP spent a ton more across TX than Democrats did. Read to the end.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/10/polit...ate/index.html

Take a look at this map as well, showing how much the GOP raised across TX. You can zoom in and see different zip codes, but 75024 for example, was one of the biggest for the GOP. For barely eking out a win vs Beto, Cruz was a pretty bad investment.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/25/polit...sis/index.html
Quote:
If money -- and, per above, we are likely talking about spending north of $10 million -- has to be diverted to save Cruz, it means that same money has to be diverted from pickup opportunities. And that means the chances of Republicans capitalizing on those pickup opportunities shrinks -- perhaps marginally, perhaps in a more major way.
Cruz's inability to put O'Rourke away matters then not just in Texas but in West Virginia, Missouri and Indiana too.
The CNN report you quoted proves my point that "nationwide Beto is taking too much oxygen".
Democrats are betting a lot of resources on Beto, not only money but also endless news coverage and celebrity support. At the end, not only do they narrowly lose TX senate, they also narrowly lose Florida, Indiana, Missouri, North Dakota and maybe Arizona, which could have been defended if enough resources are diverted to these states.

It might be encouraging for TX dem to see a tight senate race, and it helps other local candidates, but all these come with a steep price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 01:25 PM

22 posts, read 16,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
More than 200K votes for those paying attention.
Yes, I think it is currently at around 213K with a very small percentage of counties not having reported yet.

Here are the exact numbers:

https://www.politico.com/election-results/2018/texas/

Old 11-07-2018, 01:26 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
The CNN report you quoted proves my point that "nationwide Beto is taking too much oxygen".
Democrats are betting a lot of resources on Beto, not only money but also endless news coverage and celebrity support. At the end, not only do they narrowly lose TX senate, they also narrowly lose Florida, Indiana, Missouri, North Dakota and maybe Arizona, which could have been defended if enough resources are diverted to these states.

It might be encouraging for TX dem to see a tight senate race, and it helps other local candidates, but all these come with a steep price.

Yes... but in TX, the price was far steeper for Republicans.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about Beto or Cruz, I said the GOP and Dems.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/25/polit...sis/index.html
Well, I WAS talking about O'Rourke and Cruz.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I WAS talking about O'Rourke and Cruz.

So you quoted me, then said something that had nothing to do with what you quoted. Ok then.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:55 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Yes... but in TX, the price was far steeper for Republicans.
How so?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
How so?

Four of the GOP's top 10 biggest donor zip codes across all of America were in TX from my earlier link. In what is normally a Republican stronghold easily, Cruz had to spend millions of dollars in addition to having Trump come down and stump for him, as well as all the PACs spending money on anti Beto campaigns.

In spite of all the money and effort spent to defeat Beto, Cruz barely pulled off a victory. In fact, I would even go so far to say that had Donald Trump not come to TX to support him, he would have lost.

All that time, effort, and money had to be spent on a state that is historically 60-40, 55-45 for the GOP. They've never had to spend this much to defend TX, which gave them more money and resources to focus on more competitive states in previous elections. Even with all that, Democrats picked up several seats on the national and state level. What was once a reliable, easy victory for the GOP was anything but this year.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:06 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Four of the GOP's top 10 biggest donor zip codes across all of America were in TX from my earlier link. In what is normally a Republican stronghold easily, Cruz had to spend millions of dollars in addition to having Trump come down and stump for him, as well as all the PACs spending money on anti Beto campaigns.

In spite of all the money and effort spent to defeat Beto, Cruz barely pulled off a victory. In fact, I would even go so far to say that had Donald Trump not come to TX to support him, he would have lost.

All that time, effort, and money had to be spent on a state that is historically 60-40, 55-45 for the GOP. They've never had to spend this much to defend TX, which gave them more money and resources to focus on more competitive states in previous elections. Even with all that, Democrats picked up several seats on the national and state level. What was once a reliable, easy victory for the GOP was anything but this year.
A lot of MAGA republicans haven't forgiven Cruz for the stunt he pulled at the 2016 Republican convention.

This says at least as much about Cruz (one of the most divisive senators) as it does about politics in Texas in general.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:

1). Sure but Beto raised 2x the money TC did.
2). In an off year election, with TC's high unlikability metrics, with Trumps high unlikability metrics, with Beto receiving endless fawning attention from the local press etc. and he still lost. As a political guy from Austin said last night if Beto had run against Cornyn he would have been crushed. Not beating TC was a big time missed opportunity.
3). And you are completely overlooking the fact that over the last 50ish years during midterm elections the party out of power usually does very well.

Anyone not wearing rose colored glasses would call last night wholly unremarkable for the democrats.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
1). Sure but Beto raised 2x the money TC did.
2). In an off year election, with TC's high unlikability metrics, with Trumps high unlikability metrics, with Beto receiving endless fawning attention from the local press etc. and he still lost. As a political guy from Austin said last night if Beto had run against Cornyn he would have been crushed. Not beating TC was a big time missed opportunity.
3). And you are completely overlooking the fact that over the last 50ish years during midterm elections the party out of power usually does very well.

Anyone not wearing rose colored glasses would call last night wholly unremarkable for the democrats.

1. Think about that. Beto raised more money in TEXAS than his GOP opponent.

2. Voter turnout was up 400% in TX, more than the number of voters in an "on" year election by far.

3. I'm not overlooking anything, that's an obvious point to make, also a completely irrelevant one since this is TX. That's like saying you expect California to turn red in an off year election. It just doesn't happen... but it almost did here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas