Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 10:09 PM

95 posts, read 123,588 times

Advertisements

My husband works there. Of course it would have been ideal to move there. Unfortunately all I heard was how horrible the schools were. He has a couple of colleagues that live there and put their kids in private schools. I have too many children to afford that. So we ended up in the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 03:35 PM

380 posts, read 368,136 times
I have family who live there and who have their kids (white, BTW) in CFBISD schools. They seem to like it. Homes in their neighborhood by Brookhaven Golf Club are being torn down and replaced with McMansions. Their elementary aged child goes to dual language Stark Elementary. I can't speak to the rigor of CFBISD academics, but both kids are doing well and the older one is in one of the academies at Turner. They are also well-rounded kids.

I think for the money you could do much worse! And the location is awesome.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:51 PM

186 posts, read 158,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mqmercado View Post
I am looking at Farmers Branch to purchase a home. What are peoples impression of Farmers Branch? It seems to be an older middle class community. Is there potential for revitalization in the city? Is it a good city to raise a family?
I grew up there, and once I left home, I lived in the area for a long time.

My impressions are the FB really over hypes itself. It's more of a bedroom community, that doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to offer. That is, you'll be driving elsewhere for most things. On the other hand, some of the schools rank highly, although I don't know who does the ranking and how accurate it is.

FB is now trying to improve their image. To that end, a person I went to school with is now building the most hideous McMansions. To do so, they are razing houses to do so. some of those houses need to go, but many of them are nice homes in good repair, they just don't fit the image.

The other thing is that some how FB can't keep grocery stores. Where once there was an Albertsons and a Kroger, now there's a Wal-Mart neighborhood market (ugh) and a Fiesta (I actually kinda' like Fiesta, but I know many don't)

Going back there occasionally to see my old stomping grounds, I realize what a weird town FB is. Like I said, it's a bedroom community. It has some restaurants, some little shops, but still, as it was when I lived there, you'll have to go elsewhere for many things. Also, in spite of attempts at improving and revitalizing things, FB has become more run down than I remember, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

We looked at houses there when we bought our home. The prices were more than we were willing to pay to live there. We found many places in Dallas where you could get more for your money.

I can't recommend it.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggielina View Post
I have family who live there and who have their kids (white, BTW) in CFBISD schools. They seem to like it. Homes in their neighborhood by Brookhaven Golf Club are being torn down and replaced with McMansions. Their elementary aged child goes to dual language Stark Elementary. I can't speak to the rigor of CFBISD academics, but both kids are doing well and the older one is in one of the academies at Turner. They are also well-rounded kids.

I think for the money you could do much worse! And the location is awesome.
I didn't know they were hitting the Brookhaven area. That's a shame, some of the most gorgeous homes in FB are in Brookhaven. Todd Bonneau is tearing down perfectly good homes and replacing them with trendy eyesores.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:07 PM

A brief addendum to my previous comments.

Just a little while ago, my spouse was looking for houses, and happened to look at some in FB. We were both shocked at what a given amount will buy there. For X amount, a person can buy something bigger and nicer in other areas of DFW. The houses we saw were small and run down, and going for 200,000 to 250,000 or more.

FB has some powerful kool-aid.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:34 PM

33 posts, read 32,957 times
Thank you all for your comments and opinions!

Old 10-01-2019, 10:31 AM

51 posts, read 91,095 times
Any further thoughts on Mercer Crossing Community in farmers Branch? Seems like FB is really getting revitilized?

Old 10-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Any thoughts on FB in general is welcome. As some of you mentioned there is a lot of tear down construction around Brookhaven. Do you think there is scope there for good future appreciation given that the schools are not too strong.

Would there be a shift of people pricing out of Preston Hollow moving in to this community?

Again any thought abt Farmers Branch in general is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2019, 03:09 PM

516 posts, read 450,963 times
I can't give you any insight on whether people would migrate out of Preston Hollow into Farmers Branch. However, you can get more house for your dollar in FB even though it's right next to Dallas.

A family member's home has increased in value by $100,000 in four years. Their home is located in the neighborhood surrounded by Webb Chapel, Marsh, 635, and Valley View.

No, Carrollton/Farmers Branch ISD isn't considered a top district like Frisco and Plano, but it's not bad either. CFBISD and Mckinney ISD received the same score by the TEA this year for comparison.

Farmers Branch is an interesting city because it has been able to maintain it's small city feel even though it is surrounded by large cities. Because they are still small enough, events like 4th of July, Christmas, Halloween, etc. are still celebrated city-wide. They have a great police department and there is low crime. The city is just recently seeing a lot of growth with Mercer Crossing and the restaurant park. There are plans to redevelop that whole area at Valley View and 35 and make it the hub of the city.

I feel like Farmers Branch has been given a poor reputation because it's older, primarily houses middle-class residents, and there was a racist city council a few years back. However, it is actually a great city that cares about it's residents. The racist city council is no longer there.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:25 PM

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas