Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 9,160 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My family of three are interested in moving to the Dallas area. We are an interracial couple in our mid-20’s, with a mixed baby, so we are looking for a suburb that’s diverse and safe for young children. Our budget is $350k, but are willing to stay in an apartment at first. Please leave your feedback on what the best areas are so we can “house-search”! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 08:21 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
The best area is somewhere that’s a good commute to your job. DFW traffic can be very congested. But, FYI, the city of Irving is one of the most diverse in the US.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:05 AM

80 posts, read 73,404 times
I recently moved from WA to DFW. I don't have young kids, so schools and such aren't a concern for me. Moving here has been a huge adjustment. That said, there are some positives: traffic flows better here (drivers are worse); gas, groceries, and utilities are cheaper; rent is more affordable; and although home prices have risen here, they are more affordable overall than the West Coast. Some mention the property taxes here but I don't see any higher than WA. I believe both states make up for the lack of a state tax through property taxes. I'd be more concerned with foundations here and what to me is extreme weather. Insurance is higher here. The homeless issue isn't even comparable to the West Coast. Sadly, the homeless litter on the West Coast whereas alot of residents and the homeless litter here. I've never seen anything like it. That's not saying residents in WA don't litter or that everyone here does. It's just something I've noticed.

I love the subtropical plants that grow here and the wildflowers are beautiful.

There have been a handful of nice days since I've been here, today included, but otherwise its been either blazing hot or raining unlike any rain I experienced in WA (flash floods). Also, it smells when it rains here. Expect to spend a lot of time indoors.

My family is multi-racial. I haven't seen much of that here, and while I haven't encountered any issues, I'd classify most as self-segregating. Very different than the West Coast in that regard. Again though, we've had no issues. This is a major metro. Just different.

For me, there's not alot to do in DFW. I think one of my Lyft drivers said it best: Dallas isn't a city for tourists, it's a city for living a day-to-day life. When you want a break from the mundane, good luck. After you've seen the museums and arboretum, there's not much else to do besides eat and shop. Not trying to bash DFW, just my experience. I'm grateful for the Ft Worth Japanese Garden. I spend a lot of time there.

Last edited by Aeliza; 10-28-2018 at 09:06 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 11:56 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
The best area is somewhere that’s a good commute to your job. DFW traffic can be very congested. But, FYI, the city of Irving is one of the most diverse in the US.
100% agree. DFW is absolutely car-centric and highly spread out. You will likely strongly prefer to live near work, if at all possible. Otherwise, a 90 minute one-way commute is not out of the realm of possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeliza View Post
...For me, there's not alot to do in DFW. I think one of my Lyft drivers said it best: Dallas isn't a city for tourists, it's a city for living a day-to-day life. When you want a break from the mundane, good luck. After you've seen the museums and arboretum, there's not much else to do besides eat and shop. Not trying to bash DFW, just my experience. I'm grateful for the Ft Worth Japanese Garden. I spend a lot of time there.
While I think there are options if you put your mind to it, I can't 100% disagree with the above based on my 5 years here. Besides the mentioned museums and arboretum, the options will take a bit more searching (but we all seem to get by...)

The above said, if your job is on the north side of the city, Richardson and Carrollton have some diversity. Use a small amount of caution as a few neighborhoods can start trending slightly sketchy, but both have nice neighborhoods too.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Until you tell people where you will be working, all recommendations will be moot. DFW is larger than Connecticut. You'll want to spend some time with a map first, to understand the areas around where your job will be located. Bad choices could easily put you in the car for four hours a day.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:57 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeliza View Post
There have been a handful of nice days since I've been here, today included, but otherwise its been either blazing hot or raining unlike any rain I experienced in WA (flash floods). Also, it smells when it rains here. Expect to spend a lot of time indoors.
You are right that when it rains here, it rains! But the rain this month and last month have been very unusual, to the point of being the wettest September & October on record. We even reached the lowest mid-October high in the 40s, which is also record breaking. Most Septembers & Octobers are drier, sunnier, and warmer than what we've experienced this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Dallas

Old 10-30-2018, 07:27 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
My family is multi-racial. I haven't seen much of that here, and while I haven't encountered any issues, I'd classify most as self-segregating. Very different than the West Coast in that regard. Again though, we've had no issues. This is a major metro. Just different.

I must respectfully disagree with that. My family is bi-racial/multi-racial, and that is ALL you see in my area (Richardson), as well as in a lot of DFW and other large Texas cities. I lived in the PNW for 2 years. While I found the Seattle area to be more diverse than the Portland area by an exponential amount, neither was as diverse as Texas, especially black/white. My husband had to travel pretty far to find a black barber shop in Portland.That would never be the case here.

The Latino (we say Hispanic here, albeit a bit antiquated) population goes without saying. In both my daughters' yearbooks, the name Nguyen (Vietnamese) took up 2 full pages, with Korean names very close to that. I am one of only 2 non-Muslim households on my street. My daughter's group of friends are all half black/half white, except one Hispanic girl and one Muslim girl.

I remember after about 2 weeks in Portland my co-worker said "how do you like it so far?" My response was: "It's beautiful, but all the white people scare the hell out of me' (tongue-in-cheek, but honestly, I just wasn't used to it).

Old 10-30-2018, 07:45 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post

I must respectfully disagree with that. My family is bi-racial/multi-racial, and that is ALL you see in my area (Richardson), as well as in a lot of DFW and other large Texas cities. I lived in the PNW for 2 years. While I found the Seattle area to be more diverse than the Portland area by an exponential amount, neither was as diverse as Texas, especially black/white. My husband had to travel pretty far to find a black barber shop in Portland.That would never be the case here.

The Latino (we say Hispanic here, albeit a bit antiquated) population goes without saying. In both my daughters' yearbooks, the name Nguyen (Vietnamese) took up 2 full pages, with Korean names very close to that. I am one of only 2 non-Muslim households on my street. My daughter's group of friends are all half black/half white, except one Hispanic girl and one Muslim girl.

I remember after about 2 weeks in Portland my co-worker said "how do you like it so far?" My response was: "It's beautiful, but all the white people scare the hell out of me' (tongue-in-cheek, but honestly, I just wasn't used to it).
My kids are bi-racial (white/Vietnamese) and there are quite a few other multi-racial families at our daycare. I also see a good mix of races in our neighborhood, which is an older (for Frisco) neighborhood.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:32 AM

628 posts, read 818,970 times
You'll be back in WA a year after you experience your first Summer in Texas.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:39 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
You'll be back in WA a year after you experience your first Summer in Texas.
LOL #truth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas