Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 07:04 AM

194 posts, read 181,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Good advice except we don't know what kind of student he is or if he should even bother applying to the academic powerhouse privates if sports are his main concern.
While he is a sports guy - he is also an honors student with straight A’s, Vice President of his National Junior Honor Society. He is presently taking honors high school geometry as an 8th grader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 07:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
There are some sports that are not UIL--that means state education agency oversight--
Wrestling started out that way. But has grown and now is UIL I believe--been retired from teaching over 10 yrs and no one we know has a wrestler
Ice Hockey started out that way
Don't know if it still is or has enough schools involved that it is UIL sponsored
Have friend whose grandson is in upper elementary and loves ice hockey--of course now plays club because too young for school sponsored teams

Lacrosse could be the same
I would think it is more private than public school choice

Old 10-30-2018, 07:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiTer View Post
While he is a sports guy - he is also an honors student with straight A’s, Vice President of his National Junior Honor Society. He is presently taking honors high school geometry as an 8th grader.
If you plan on coming next year, please get your tours in quickly as application deadlines for privates are coming up (and you have to shadow days, testing, interviews, get recommendations in, etc).

While technically not due till early Jan, multiple schools will make there be more to do.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Yes--it is a stereotype to talk about the "dumb jock" student
Consider schools with IB programs if they are in area you are moving to
IB program would give him same ability to gain college credits in high school and might offer stronger possibility for foreign university admission if he was interested in that option
LD Bell in HEB ISD--not your target area--has excellent IB program which was one of the first in north TX area
In my experience students who excel in the IB program stand out in college admissions when compared with students w/same GPA in the AP programs...

Old 10-30-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There are some sports that are not UIL--that means state education agency oversight--
Wrestling started out that way. But has grown and now is UIL I believe--been retired from teaching over 10 yrs and no one we know has a wrestler
Ice Hockey started out that way
Don't know if it still is or has enough schools involved that it is UIL sponsored
Have friend whose grandson is in upper elementary and loves ice hockey--of course now plays club because too young for school sponsored teams

Lacrosse could be the same
I would think it is more private than public school choice
Ok, thank you.

Wrestling is listed on public school sites so it must be UIL. Ice hockey is not on public’s but is on private’s like Jesuit. Ice hockey is another sport my son loves. We are members of our local rink and he is a former competitive hockey player but decided to just do rec hockey now as club soccer, club wrestling, and 3 seasons of middle school sports left little time to travel for hockey. 🤣. My husband also plays hockey so we must find a rink too! Could you tell me the rink name your friend’s grandson plays out of? Something else to research... lots to this move...

Old 10-30-2018, 07:21 AM

964 posts, read 877,219 times
Quote:
Yes, club soccer is another piece of the puzzle we have to solve! He is an ‘04. He currently plays both club and school soccer. Have seen FC Dallas has teams right in Frisco. Also have my eye on Solar, Dallas Texans, and a Liverpool club. But do not really know proximity, reputation, coaching etc about any of them!! Any other clubs I should be aware of?? Any help or info with clubs would be much appreciated!
All those clubs are pretty good and Frisco has a close association with FC Dallas. For 04 kids you literally have about 50 teams for just 04 alone. The best of the best are going to play DA (Development Academy) with NPL and ECNL teams right below. You then get into D1 and D2. Below that the soccer drops off fast. Once you move here I would check the different clubs and see what fits with your schedule, etc.

Club Soccer in DFW is near the top compared to other places in US>. Top 3 are New Jersey area, Southern CA, and DFW.

If you play DA you cannot play school soccer. If you play anything else you can play both.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you plan on coming next year, please get your tours in quickly as application deadlines for privates are coming up (and you have to shadow days, testing, interviews, get recommendations in, etc).

While technically not due till early Jan, multiple schools will make there be more to do.
Yes, that’s why we are coming in this weekend and staying through early next week to tour and see where he wants to apply. Poor kid is doing the same up here, just in case...

Old 10-30-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
All those clubs are pretty good and Frisco has a close association with FC Dallas. For 04 kids you literally have about 50 teams for just 04 alone. The best of the best are going to play DA (Development Academy) with NPL and ECNL teams right below. You then get into D1 and D2. Below that the soccer drops off fast. Once you move here I would check the different clubs and see what fits with your schedule, etc.

Club Soccer in DFW is near the top compared to other places in US>. Top 3 are New Jersey area, Southern CA, and DFW.

If you play DA you cannot play school soccer. If you play anything else you can play both.
Not a DA player, hoping for an ECNL and/or NPL team. Have been impressed with all the options in DFW for soccer! He plays for Penn Fusion in southeastern PA - we play lots of NJ teams, many are very good!

Old 10-30-2018, 08:01 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Yes--it is a stereotype to talk about the "dumb jock" student
No one called him a dumb jock.
I was not a dumb jock.
My son is not a dumb jock.

But she asked immediately about athletics and continued to talk about athletics, so we were not made aware of her academic priorities.

Not every jock is dumb, but every kid has different priorities. And that's ok.

In any case, she clarified.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:05 AM

964 posts, read 877,219 times
Quote:
Not a DA player, hoping for an ECNL and/or NPL team. Have been impressed with all the options in DFW for soccer! He plays for Penn Fusion in southeastern PA - we play lots of NJ teams, many are very good!
You should be good then. You can probably duel roster with a D1 team also if you stay with the bigger clubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: