Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:05 PM

213 posts, read 183,231 times

Advertisements

My wife's a fan of Richardson, so that's definitely on the list (one might even argue the point of expanding the list beyond that, if that's the wife's pick...). Any particular areas/neighborhoods of Richardson we should be looking at (or not looking at)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 07:25 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,064,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanByMarriage View Post
My wife's a fan of Richardson, so that's definitely on the list (one might even argue the point of expanding the list beyond that, if that's the wife's pick...). Any particular areas/neighborhoods of Richardson we should be looking at (or not looking at)?
Happy wife, happy life!

Old 11-06-2018, 08:17 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,109,470 times
Quote:
Canyon Creek area is a great area to look at.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:10 PM

Thanks! Not a whole lot for rent there, but certainly some nicer homes for sale.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:06 PM

3,832 posts, read 4,437,205 times
The challenge with DFW is that there is not just one major job center, but several, which means that a residence that offers a great commute for job number 1, may become a horrible commute for job number 2. To get the biggest bang for your buck as far as commute goes, three locations are best. Richardson, Valley Ranch and North Carrollton.

Valley Ranch offers a commute of less than 45 minutes to four major job centers; Las Colinas, Down town Fort Worth, Down town Dallas and Addison, depending on traffic.

Richardson is the other one that offers a similar commute of 45 minutes or less to Richardson itself, Addison, North Dallas and Plano. You can also get to Downtown Dallas from Richardson in under 45 minutes, but the traffic is less predictable and you may have longer commutes there sometimes.

The most under rated in this regard may be North Carrollton which would give you decent commutes to Plano, North Dallas, Richardson, Las Colinas, Addison and North Dallas.

All three would fit within your budget while offering good schools, safety and access to shopping and other amenities, and probably most important, would give you and your spouse more options when job hunting as you would be able to consider more job centers than you would living in say Allen or Frisco.

Last edited by biafra4life; 11-08-2018 at 08:58 PM..

Old 11-09-2018, 06:44 AM

Great info, thanks! We'll add Valley Ranch and North Carrollton to our list.

My wife's job is pretty solid working remote, and likely to keep it for a while. Mine is not, but at least that just makes one commute to consider. The 2 job-leads I have (through an ex-colleague) are both in Richardson/Addison, so those you suggested are good locations for that.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:00 AM

427 posts, read 493,508 times
Quote:
Great info, thanks! We'll add Valley Ranch and North Carrollton to our list.

My wife's job is pretty solid working remote, and likely to keep it for a while. Mine is not, but at least that just makes one commute to consider. The 2 job-leads I have (through an ex-colleague) are both in Richardson/Addison, so those you suggested are good locations for that.
If your wife works remotely and you have potential option in Richardson/Addison - Allen, specifically 75013 can be one of the good option for you. Especially for your budget, if you are looking for a new construction, I would at least recommend to take a look at Walnut Springs at Twin Creek neighborhood and see if you like OR compare with your other choices before making a decision. Overall neat and clean with plenty of shopping, dining, entertainment options near by and very good schools. Lots of new developments announced nearby for future growth - Allen ISD STEAM center, Collin Technical Campus, The Strand, Monarch City etc. along 121 Corridor.

Unique thing is you will have easy access to both 75 which is free (depending on where in Richardson, it can be very close), 121 (toll way) and also DNT via 121. Addison also will be a reasonable commute based on time of travel. Also close to Plano legacy region, another major job center in this region for any future employment needs. And easy access to other places via 121 if needed.

NOTE: I didn't see Keribeth's post before posting mine, but she already gave lot of good info. I would say look at Twin Creeks for mature trees, amenities and Walnut Springs if you are interested in new. And COMPARE with other places in terms of commute/access to highways/amenities/schools/Overall look and feel of surrounding areas, shopping/cost and take an informed decision.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 11-09-2018 at 09:15 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM

379 posts, read 366,124 times
I'm biased because it's my hood, but I would suggest looking in west Richardson or Far North Dallas zoned to RISD or PISD schools. The commute will be great or decent for most major employment centers on the Dallas side of DFW. If you want really big yards, check out the neighborhood to the north of McCallum and just east of Preston. I don't know the exact name. It's split between Brentfield Elementary and PISD. I have a friend who lives there, and their yard is big enough for a good sized pool, a gazebo, a playset, a trampoline, raised garden beds, plus some!

Old 11-09-2018, 06:05 PM

3,832 posts, read 4,437,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
If your wife works remotely and you have potential option in Richardson/Addison - Allen, specifically 75013 can be one of the good option for you. Especially for your budget, if you are looking for a new construction, I would at least recommend to take a look at Walnut Springs at Twin Creek neighborhood and see if you like OR compare with your other choices before making a decision. Overall neat and clean with plenty of shopping, dining, entertainment options near by and very good schools. Lots of new developments announced nearby for future growth - Allen ISD STEAM center, Collin Technical Campus, The Strand, Monarch City etc. along 121 Corridor.

Unique thing is you will have easy access to both 75 which is free (depending on where in Richardson, it can be very close), 121 (toll way) and also DNT via 121. Addison also will be a reasonable commute based on time of travel. Also close to Plano legacy region, another major job center in this region for any future employment needs. And easy access to other places via 121 if needed.

NOTE: I didn't see Keribeth's post before posting mine, but she already gave lot of good info. I would say look at Twin Creeks for mature trees, amenities and Walnut Springs if you are interested in new. And COMPARE with other places in terms of commute/access to highways/amenities/schools/Overall look and feel of surrounding areas, shopping/cost and take an informed decision.
Let me preface by saying this: Allen is a great town, good schools, safe, fits within the OPs budget, and lots of shopping and other amenities. However if having a good job commute is a factor then the OP will be limited to Plano and Richardson. While 75 runs through Allen, you neglect to mention that it usually sucks during regular rush hour, so Dallas would be out of the question if the OP wants a decent commute. Allen rules out jobs in Dallas, Las Colinas/Dfw airport and quite frankly Addison would be pushing the limits of a good commute from Allen
Again, nothing wrong with Allen as a town but living there will more than likely limit your job opportunities or force you to have a much longer commute. Now if you are ok with a longer commute then that opens up many more options including Allen, Frisco, McKinney, Plano, Flower Mound, Colleyville...the list is endless providing you don’t mind a long commute.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:05 PM

427 posts, read 493,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Let me preface by saying this: Allen is a great town, good schools, safe, fits within the OPs budget, and lots of shopping and other amenities. However if having a good job commute is a factor then the OP will be limited to Plano and Richardson. While 75 runs through Allen, you neglect to mention that it usually sucks during regular rush hour, so Dallas would be out of the question if the OP wants a decent commute. Allen rules out jobs in Dallas, Las Colinas/Dfw airport and quite frankly Addison would be pushing the limits of a good commute from Allen
Again, nothing wrong with Allen as a town but living there will more than likely limit your job opportunities or force you to have a much longer commute. Now if you are ok with a longer commute then that opens up many more options including Allen, Frisco, McKinney, Plano, Flower Mound, Colleyville...the list is endless providing you don’t mind a long commute.
Could you name ONE location in DFW that is having easy commute to ALL job centers in the area? Namely Plano, Richardson, Irving, Dallas proper etc? It simply doesn't exist.

No matter where you live, it is going to be a long commute to one or other locations.

Not only 75, every other highway/tollway sucks during rush hour. As I said, the unique advantage of West Allen between 75 and 121 is it has access to both.

For OP, since he is looking to be close to Richardson and Addison, Allen can be ONE of his choices as it is closer to both and also to Plano. It's not the ONLY choice. So if in future there is a job change, at least you have an option, easy access to 75/121 and also to DNT (via 121) versus say far away/interior places in Frisco or McKinney or beyond etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas