Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 06:43 PM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You just moved the goal posts.

At first, it was enough for "exposure" to the "real world."

Now that isn't enough; we have to have friendships and equality with people who are nothing like us.

Look, you take a 6 year old to a food bank on Thanksgiving Day and you talk about why you are there. The next year, you take them with you to buy blankets and soap to donate to the homeless shelter. By the time they are 13 and packing boxes for Operation Christmas Child...and by packing boxes, I mean sorting through donations to fill 60 shoeboxes...and realizing that a bunch of Dollar Tree junk may be some kid's only Christmas present...it all adds up. It is a matter of reinforcement and repetition to teach children to think of someone other than themselves, and to teach them gratitude for what they do have.

You can belittle it all you want to, and say it isn't enough, but don't you dare call any one else self-righteous. You are earning that label for yourself.
You are far too kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 06:50 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post

I've never understood the Whataburger thing. It's ok. I'll maybe have Whataburger about once a year.

Whataburger started in Texas in 1950. That's 68 years ago. They had the original quarter pounder before McDonald's. Many, if not most, or all, Whataburgers are open 24/7. There's not very many fast food hamburger places with a drive-thru that are open 24 hours. Other than Whataburger and Jack-In-The-Box, I don't know of any.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:50 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Quote:
You just moved the goal posts.

At first, it was enough for "exposure" to the "real world."

Now that isn't enough; we have to have friendships and equality with people who are nothing like us.
That's a pretty elitist attitude, don't you think?

Old 11-08-2018, 06:52 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
That's a pretty elitist attitude, don't you think?
No.

But if it is, you were the one who said it:

..."isn't the same thing as being friends with someone, because that requires putting aside economic differences Friendship allows, no requires, a certain amount of "Equality" between people with different backgrounds."

Old 11-08-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
None of those homes are in Winnetka Heights. That’s like telling someone there are cheap homes in Plano and then when they call you out you send links for Mesquite.
Back to OP’s question, the neighborhoods in DFW with more character are going to require you to live with either less space, worse finishes, or more money than you currently are spending. I am not saying this will be the cure to your DFW malaise, but if any of these established neighborhoods with charm are financially and logistically feasible, you might give them a try.
At least one of those houses is literally on Winnetka, 1/2 bock from the Kessler. Maybe Technically Kings Highway.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:02 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The stereotype works because you are myopic and clueless.

1). I have a niece who is a doc.....over the course of several years she's helped deliver literally hundreds of babies along the Mosquito Coast and points south. What were you doing?
2). My son who is also a doc. has delivered/assisted with legit medical care in that part of the world since Jr. High. Recently performing surgeries in tents on concrete slabs and the like. What were you doing?
3). My daughter - a wanna be doctor - and the niece above are going to Belize over Christmas on a medical mission. What are your plans over Christmas? I'll pay your way if you'd like to help.

Sit back and enjoy X-Box, dream of an unworkable car free city and make fun of others while they get things done.

How dare you belittle the efforts of others.
Great post, EDS.

I know of so many stories like yours.

It's also worth pointing out that these mission trips can change young people's lives. A cousin's son was a very troubled 14 year old. Went on a work trip to Mexico, almost died, became a Christian, and is now a military academy graduate.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The stereotype works because you are myopic and clueless.

1). I have a niece who is a doc.....over the course of several years she's helped deliver literally hundreds of babies along the Mosquito Coast and points south. What were you doing?
2). My son who is also a doc. has delivered/assisted with legit medical care in that part of the world since Jr. High. Recently performing surgeries in tents on concrete slabs and the like. What were you doing?
3). My daughter - a wanna be doctor - and the niece above are going to Belize over Christmas on a medical mission. What are your plans over Christmas? I'll pay your way if you'd like to help.

Sit back and enjoy X-Box, dream of an unworkable car free city and make fun of others while they get things done.

How dare you belittle the efforts of others.
I'm not here to brag about the ways I give back, but I already have plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm not much good on a medical mission as I'm not in the medical field so feel free to donate some of that money you are waving around at me.

Medical missions are pretty different from your average suburban white chick going to help paint a school. My sister goes on medical missions. So does my uncle, who's a surgeon.

Thats quite a few random assumptions about me, lol I don't even own an Xbox lol.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
No.

But if it is, you were the one who said it:

..."isn't the same thing as being friends with someone, because that requires putting aside economic differences Friendship allows, no requires, a certain amount of "Equality" between people with different backgrounds."
Yeah, friendship can create this equality, basically you can't be "True Friends" with someone you view as an "Other." So by definition by befriending someone, at school, neighbor etc, you have to look past the externalizes and see them as an equal.

Basically I reject the Aristotelian view of only friendships between equals and accept the Christian one which allows friendship between God and Man, so therefore, between all men. (I'm making this as a philosophical distinction, not necessarily a religious one)

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 11-08-2018 at 07:33 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I'm not here to brag about the ways I give back, but I already have plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm not much good on a medical mission as I'm not in the medical field so feel free to donate some of that money you are waving around at me.

Medical missions are pretty different from your average suburban white chick going to help paint a school. My sister goes on medical missions. So does my uncle, who's a surgeon.

Thats quite a few random assumptions about me, lol I don't even own an Xbox lol.
You've painted fairly clear picture of yourself over the months.

And let me get this straight. You are bothered over my assumptions about you, however, you have no problem running down others with zero evidence? Come on. Reread the last several posts.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Great post, EDS.

I know of so many stories like yours.

It's also worth pointing out that these mission trips can change young people's lives. A cousin's son was a very troubled 14 year old. Went on a work trip to Mexico, almost died, became a Christian, and is now a military academy graduate.
Awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas