Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 08:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastexasresident View Post
I'm curious to know if "wait pool" or "waitlist" is just a gentler way of saying no. Aside from ourselves, other parents were waitlisted as well, and no one received any rejections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltgrmum View Post
So does anyone know the answer to this? Is wait pool the same as a decline? I know at the Dallas ISD Magnets, there is a difference between the two. But am not as familiar with this private school thing.
This was discussed on one of the prior pages. Waitlist means the student meets the academic requirements for the school, admissions are based on overall best fit. If a spot opens in that grade between now and school starting, the admissions team will review all waitlisted applications again to decide who is the best fit for the open spot.

Privates differ from DISD magnets in that magnets rank the waitlist and if a spot opens & you are #1, you’re in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marble100 View Post
Applied for 5th Grade

ISEE scores - All 9s

Greenhill School - wait pool

Hockaday School - Acceptance
Congrats! Hockaday is a fabulous school and your daughter will love it.

This post is a prime example of why I roll my eyes every time someone posts asking which one should they pick between Hock/GH or SM/GH. I think it’s very rare that students get into both (even with perfect scores like this poster’s kid) so usually the decision gets made for you and it’s not worth splitting hairs over.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltgrmum View Post
Wait pool at St. Mark's for us.
Just saw your other post that your son got into TAG. It’s fabulous! Our neighbor is a sophomore there and picked TAG over St Marks and a Catholic merit scholarship. TAG is the first time he’s really been challenged at school and he loves it.

I know it’s heartbreaking to not get your first choice but his backup is the #1 public high school in the county.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:59 PM

24 posts, read 42,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Just saw your other post that your son got into TAG. It’s fabulous! Our neighbor is a sophomore there and picked TAG over St Marks and a Catholic merit scholarship. TAG is the first time he’s really been challenged at school and he loves it.

I know it’s heartbreaking to not get your first choice but his backup is the #1 public high school in the county.
Thank you.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:44 PM

19,471 posts, read 17,695,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTeacher3 View Post
Declined at St. Marks. Disappointing, but knew to expect it. Hope the rest of y’all have happier news!
I'm very sorry to hear this.

From our bit of cross talk I'm convinced your kiddo will proceed onto great things.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjw0918 View Post
My sweet boy got declined from St M again. Congrats to all who got acceptances.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:09 PM

27 posts, read 86,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

From our bit of cross talk I'm convinced your kiddo will proceed onto great things.

Thank you, EDS, very kind of you to say! TBH, he received his GT acceptance in Midlothian today and was over the moon! He doesn’t know about St. Marks and I’m going to leave it at that until he does.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoregon View Post
My son got declined by St Marks, accepted by Jesuit. ISEE all 9s.
Eventually can have a spring break.
You/your boy will love JCP. Take the offer and never look back not for one second. JCP deals with hyper-bright kids very well.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marble100 View Post
Applied for 5th Grade

ISEE scores - All 9s

Greenhill School - wait pool

Hockaday School - Acceptance
Take the Hockaday acceptance and be thrilled. And congratulations.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:26 PM

194 posts, read 178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTeacher3 View Post
Thank you, EDS, very kind of you to say! TBH, he received his GT acceptance in Midlothian today and was over the moon! He doesn’t know about St. Marks and I’m going to leave it at that until he does.
Wonderful news, especially as HE was over the moon about it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas