Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 29,239 times

Advertisements

We received the 2020-2021 admission packet for SMS today. It’s interesting how the process will be a little bit different for 5th grade admission than it was for 4th grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 8,826 times
My son has experienced both public and private schools. He skipped a grade in private and when he went to public we only kept his math at the higher level and had him go back to his age appropriate grade. We did this because in the end I felt that a kid only gets to socially be a kid once. What’s the hurry to go to college, get a job and pay taxes? My son is back in private now. We’ve had to move so that’s why he was in so many environments. Anyhow, as for boredom etc...when we were initially flagged by his teachers and school psychologist that he maybe too advanced for the grade, we agreed with them and thought that will cure his boredom by being challenged. Well it started off well and he was more engaged and then he got bored again. We didn’t carefully look at where he was being bored. Had we asked more questions, we could’ve learned it was math class. He wasn’t bored in his technology class. Then came the day of the class “Olympics”. At private schools there are several “older kids”. My kid who was 6 was in a class now that they had him skip a grade was with kids that were 7, 8 and 9. He not only cried after the race part of the Olympics but he started doubting himself. We still kept him in the class until the school year ended. He had great grades and better test scores than his classmates that year. Then we moved to another place and tried out public but switched him to the grade he should’ve been in for his grade (2nd). The school agreed to let him test his math and take it at a higher grade. He did well and did math with the teacher in 4th grade and the rest of his subjects with the 2nd grade teacher. So after all this rambling, I do feel that there can be some adjustments to fit your need at public. I do feel that if your son truly enjoys a subject and there’s no offerings, you can supplement. My son goes to private now but it was mainly because he wanted a smaller class size and better behaved students than the public he attended. Good luck to you. Only a parent knows what’s best in the end.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,137 times
This might not be the right place to ask, but we’re rapidly approaching the time to start searching for Pre-K for our 2 year old son. For those that have recently been through the application process with Lamplighter, Meadowbrook, what is to be expected? Also, what can we do to prepare him to “stand out”? Tutoring, extra curriculars, hire a consultant? Thanks all!

Old 12-31-2019, 01:23 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonandfrankford View Post
This might not be the right place to ask, but we’re rapidly approaching the time to start searching for Pre-K for our 2 year old son. For those that have recently been through the application process with Lamplighter, Meadowbrook, what is to be expected? Also, what can we do to prepare him to “stand out”? Tutoring, extra curriculars, hire a consultant? Thanks all!
I can understand a parent’s anxiety but please get a grip. No two year old should ever need a tutor, consultant or list of “extracurriculars” to get in pre-K.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:29 PM

446 posts, read 846,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonandfrankford View Post
Most people sign up their little ones for Meadowbrook's wait list shortly after the kid is born. We did that but sent our kids to another private by the time our turn came around.

I don't have experience with Lamplighter (they take apps for a child that is 3 yrs of age by Sept. 1). We had our first child on the wait list at Da Vinci and went through the process which culminates in a "camp" the child has to go to in the summer. It was the first time our kid (18 mo. old at the time) was in that type of setting and he didn't do well (separation anxiety) so we knew he wouldn't get in after that.

There's no need for tutoring, consultants etc. It's a 2 yr old -- unless the kid has some special skill at listening/retaining/exhibiting, he/she won't benefit anyway. And, if he/she does have such special skills, I doubt they would have issues gaining admission at these programs.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 13,414 times
Just curious, did your daughter got in in 5th grade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas