Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:31 AM

30 posts, read 137,811 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had any experience taking the DART from Garland into downtown Dallas? My potential job would be located downtown and the train sounds like a relaxing option.

My specific questions are - how long would it take to drive from Firewheel/Pleasant Valley Rd area to the train station during rush hour? Is parking readily available at the station and is it free? Also, is the station located in a safe area? I've heard some people mention parts of Garland aren't that great.

I also had a question about the school district. Since it is an open SD.....is it hard to get into the school of your choice as it seems everyone would try to get into the best neighborhood school? or do they have some restrictions in place?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 10:36 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAKATS View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any experience taking the DART from Garland into downtown Dallas? My potential job would be located downtown and the train sounds like a relaxing option.

My specific questions are - how long would it take to drive from Firewheel/Pleasant Valley Rd area to the train station during rush hour? Is parking readily available at the station and is it free? Also, is the station located in a safe area? I've heard some people mention parts of Garland aren't that great.

I also had a question about the school district. Since it is an open SD.....is it hard to get into the school of your choice as it seems everyone would try to get into the best neighborhood school? or do they have some restrictions in place?

Thanks again!

I've only used the DART rail for when my kids classes have gone on them for field trips. I know a lot that do it to get downtown for work and have been fine with it. Several use it for the Mavericks and Stars games instead of driving.

To get from Firewheel/Pleasant Valley to the downtown Garland DART station your looking at 10-15 minutes in rush hour traffic. You would have a couple of options as in which route to go w/ all being about the same. The location is safe. Many people use the DART rail and bus service thru there and park. I have not heard of anyone having any problems with parking there. We have parked there for events that are downtown and never had a problem.

Like any other city around here including McKinney & Plano there are some "older areas" that might not be kept up sparkling clean. Would you be in danger going to them? No.

With the "choice of school" in the winter/spring the parents have to fill out their "choice of school" form and submit it w/ a 1st, 2nd & 3rd pick. Even though the GISD does "choice of shool" they are still zoned for "neighborhoods". Those that live w/in the neighborhood zone get first choice for that school and those outside then get to fill the rest of the spots. IF you pick a school that is outside of your neighborhood zone and you get it the GISD does not provide bus transportation. There are many parents that pick a school outside of their neighborhood zone and have been able to get a spot even in some of the more "desireable" schools. Sometimes they will get their 2nd choice but can go on a waiting list and once the first day of school comes and they know who is going to be there they can usually get in to their 1st pick. Of everyone that I've known that could not get their 1st pick and was put on the waiting list they either got a call before then or found out on the 1st day of school they could attend it. What happens is people move over the summer and they may not contact the district to let them know to take their child off the list. Known some that send their kids to private school but still submit a "choice of school" form "just in case" and don't call the school till the 1st day of school. It's not a big deal really. Some have liked it so that they can send their kids to what they consider a "better" school that is not their "neighborhood" school.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:44 AM

momof2dfw - Thank you as always for your valuable info.

I was wondering if I could pick your brain some more? What are your thoughts on the area of Garland around the intersections of Shiloh Rd, Arapaho Rd, and Holford Rd?? It seems like there are some nice newer homes there that are reasonably priced.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 AM

41 posts, read 188,678 times
Hello JGakats.

I've been riding DART rail into downtown Dallas for over two years now. I recently moved to Wylie and now board in downtown Garland. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to the rail station, so I would agree with Momof2 that your drive would be closer to 10-15.

I get to the rail station close to 8am and the designated lot on the DART bus side is rather full, but I have never encountered it completely full yet. There is also parking on the Arts Center side. Parking is free. I had reservations about the safety of the Garland station at first, but so far I think it's fine, as during the rush hours there are plenty of people. Also, the nice thing about boarding at the end of the line is that there is usually always a train right there for you to board -- no standing in the rain/cold waiting.

I ride to St. Paul and the ride is approximately 25 min.

In the time I've ridden DART, I've never felt unsafe (although sometimes there are a few questionable people from time to time, but DART police are never further than a cell phone call away, and board promptly, and also patrol frequently). I ride mostly during business hours, but have also taken DART rail to a Stars game (where it lets you off right in front of AAC).

I've gotten to read plenty of books, sleep, study, work, and some people even bring laptops. DART rail has always been dependable. My employer pays for my pass, and I save a ton of money in gas, tolls, and the time traffic stress takes off my days left on Earth.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:25 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,023,558 times
I drive over to the Park-Ride in Garland from Mesquite to commute into work. I have been doing it for 10 years and love it. I am not sure if it's a option for you but he buses are more comfortable and quieter. The only crime is a few car break ins per year. The train is more reliable than the buses and the commute time is 5 minutes quicker by train.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I drive over to the Park-Ride in Garland from Mesquite to commute into work. I have been doing it for 10 years and love it. I am not sure if it's a option for you but he buses are more comfortable and quieter. The only crime is a few car break ins per year. The train is more reliable than the buses and the commute time is 5 minutes quicker by train.
Do you go to the DART Park & Ride over off of Duck Creek? That one only has bus service though. The OP sure as heck would not be going all the way to that one.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:10 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on the area of Garland around the intersections of Shiloh Rd, Arapaho Rd, and Holford Rd?? It seems like there are some nice looking newer homes there that are reasonably priced.

I've heard all areas north of 190 are nice, however what are good boundaries to follow when looking south of 190? Thx

Old 04-06-2008, 06:39 PM

212 posts, read 572,830 times
it is a very nice new area and the dart train staion right there at toll way and us 75. thats within a 5-10 min drive

Old 04-06-2008, 09:55 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAKATS View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the area of Garland around the intersections of Shiloh Rd, Arapaho Rd, and Holford Rd?? It seems like there are some nice looking newer homes there that are reasonably priced.

I've heard all areas north of 190 are nice, however what are good boundaries to follow when looking south of 190? Thx
Crime is low in the area, car break ins seem to be the most common thing. It's a very diverse area, you will find people from all corners of the globe. There is an older neighborhood, just south of Arapaho and West of Shiloh that has a pretty good concentration of sex offenders, so if you have kids you may want to avoid it. There is one sex offender in the newer neighborhood north of Arapaho and West of Shiloh, but he is hard to miss as he is literally covered head to to in tattoos. More can be found here:

Registered Sex Offenders - City of Garland (http://www.ci.garland.tx.us/Home/Departments/Public+Safety/Police/P500+Sex+Offenders_landing.htm - broken link)

good or bad areas really depend on the individual neighborhood. Some people may never even consider anything south of arapaho, but there are some great neighborhoods.

I live in the area and feel very safe, even at night.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:01 PM

6 posts, read 13,527 times
The Shiloh, Arapaho, and Holford areas are great. That's where we are We love it here -- unfortunately, we're moving to California. [MOD CUT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas