Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:38 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times

Advertisements

I notice really nice cars are being driven in West Plano, West Frisco area. I go to the Cowboys Fit gym and have seen some Lambos, Ferraris, Porsche GT3 turbos, Bentleys, G Wagon AMGs and too many Range Rovers. I know the Cowboys practice here but even the people who go to the gym here drive really fancy cars. I've seen some young kid rip through the parking lot other day in a sky blue GT3 Porsche 911 turbocharged. I heard the exhaust on that beast almost a mile away.

After seeing all of that, I realize the people in this area are either really rich or trying to fit the status quo.

In general, do people really judge others by the car they drive?

Last edited by Capitalprophets; 11-14-2018 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 PM

No doubt, I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedLines View Post
You apparently do.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:35 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
Lots of thousand dollar millionaires in Dallas area. Probably 90% leased. Around here you never know what kind of money people have or don't have. Lots of flash and no cash. They may be struggling to pay their gym bill. You've got the Cubans of the world who wear jeans and t-shirts. Some of the wealthiest here drive very plain cars. I remember assisting Ross Perot one day years ago, walked him to the car he was driving himself and it was a very plain 4 door American made. Athletes are often the worst. League minimum at the NFL is $450,000. 3% to the agent, 3% to the nutritionist, 5% to conditioning coach, $20,000 for your first rookie dinner-buying your teammates steak and drinks, 25% to taxes or more in 10 different states, then if you have $150K left it goes to the Benz or the Bentley. 3 year average career and they leave broke trying to impress people they don't know, cause they thought they were making the big bucks.

So there you have it.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:21 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
A lot of people do judge others for their car, but it only works two extremes. If you drive a really beat up car, then people will judge you and assume you are a bad driver. If you driver a really nice car, or even a plain regular luxury car like BMW and Mercedes, they will judge you, but it varies wildly in how they do; some people will judge and assume you are very successful/have money one way or another and some people will judge assume you are just a thirty thousand millionaire. If you drive a "regular" car, such as Toyota, Ford, Volkswagen, Hyundai, Fiat, and so on, and the car isn't too old (or old but looks well kept), then no one will really judge you or think less of you.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:08 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
LOL I knew a guy from when I worked at Enterprise who was leasing a brand new Cadillac. We were making just over 40k at that point.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:26 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
The GT3 isn't turbocharged. The next one might be.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:51 AM

19,773 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
Lots of thousand dollar millionaires in Dallas area. Probably 90% leased. Around here you never know what kind of money people have or don't have. Lots of flash and no cash. They may be struggling to pay their gym bill. You've got the Cubans of the world who wear jeans and t-shirts. Some of the wealthiest here drive very plain cars. I remember assisting Ross Perot one day years ago, walked him to the car he was driving himself and it was a very plain 4 door American made.
Perot's old Buick was mostly a gag. When the guy was tooling around in the Buick he also owned private islands, helicopters, jets, a turbine powered yacht, speedboats, stables full of the best horses, he bought all the land he could around his area of Strait Lane in efforts to hand pick his neighbors.

That said a good number of people who are into cars have a daily driver they don't care about.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
Lots of thousand dollar millionaires in Dallas area. Probably 90% leased. Around here you never know what kind of money people have or don't have. Lots of flash and no cash. They may be struggling to pay their gym bill. You've got the Cubans of the world who wear jeans and t-shirts. Some of the wealthiest here drive very plain cars. I remember assisting Ross Perot one day years ago, walked him to the car he was driving himself and it was a very plain 4 door American made. Athletes are often the worst. League minimum at the NFL is $450,000. 3% to the agent, 3% to the nutritionist, 5% to conditioning coach, $20,000 for your first rookie dinner-buying your teammates steak and drinks, 25% to taxes or more in 10 different states, then if you have $150K left it goes to the Benz or the Bentley. 3 year average career and they leave broke trying to impress people they don't know, cause they thought they were making the big bucks.

So there you have it.
Thank you for such a great response. Your comment makes total sense.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
The GT3 isn't turbocharged. The next one might be.
Yeah maybe not turbocharged but it was definitely a 911 GT3 RS. Seen a sky blue and one all red.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:25 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,430 times
I had a coworker visiting years ago from the Boston suburbs and he commented about how many nice cars he saw. He was giddy when he saw a Viper, which I didn't necessarily think was that uncommon in this area. While I don't see them that often, there are definitely more expensive cars around.

DFW is car-centric and I think a lot of people don't mind spending money on a car if they're going to be in it for hours a day. People that commonly use a train or bus to commute won't have the same perspective.

That being said, I like nice-ish cars. I currently drive a (10 year old) Lexus and my next one will be a Lexus too. However, we've been buying cars that are 2-3 years old for half the price of the same model new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas