Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 09:39 AM

26 posts, read 28,728 times

Advertisements

I have control of a house that is full of stuff. I mean really really full of stuff. Some of it is hoarding. Most of it is simply not getting rid of things.

The two car garage can barely be entered. One small bedroom is so full that about 30 sq feet is navigable. Most of that stuff in that room is in boxes, closet or in dressers. Some stuff in closets is hanging on racks and in many closets stuff is in boxes on shelves. However, that isn't always true.

A vast amount of it can be donated. (i.e. closet full of clothes. Some vintage and in great shape.)

A large amount is worth selling. (meaning if this item furniture, dresser, tool, art, etc was sitting in an estate or garage sale someone would buy it.)

A good amount is just junk. A small amount is family personal items that need to be saved for the family.

I cannot clean it out myself. I cannot clean it out with the help of the family. It is simply too large. It is the mass of stuff that is the problem. Too much stuff.

Some folks have said, "Well move stuff you want to save to one room." In other words organize within the house. I can't! There is too much stuff. I would have to remove a ton before I could get there.

I need someone to help with this. I am *not* looking for an estate sale team except maybe later *after* it is mostly cleaned out. But I need help to get the stuff out and/or get the good stuff set aside.

How do I hire someone to help? Any strategy advice? Any advice along the lines of what I need is appreciate. Thank you.

Last edited by JamesYaya; 11-15-2018 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
1800Junk

Old 11-15-2018, 11:24 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Put and ad on Craig's List for the helpers.
Rent a roll-off dumpster for the junk.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 PM

422 posts, read 523,695 times
I'd ask about this on the neighborhood's NextDoor forum.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:27 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
If there is some sellable stuff, contact few companies who does estate sales. They do everything as an organized mix of garage sale and open house. They’ll take some percentage of the total income but they do put lots of hour in organizing, photographing, appraising, marking, promoting and selling stuff so probably worth it.

Just google estate sales in your town and pick a couple who are doing good marketing. One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:45 AM

26 posts, read 28,728 times
Lots of interesting options.

Each has its pros and cons with this situation. I appreciate the feedback. Willing to listen to more.

1-800-junk. Good option if I have the junk separated from the non-junk. Has anyone worked with them?
Get helper's off Craig's list. - I like that option. I wonder how to screen someone?
Estate Sale - Too much stuff. I'd have to clear a lot out before it was a viable option.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:06 AM

446 posts, read 846,155 times
Craigslist will be a crap shoot, lots of people who one shouldn't necessarily bring into their home. No good way to screen.

Not sure how long you think it will take, but you can go to a site like movinghelp.com where some providers there help with cleaning and general labor to move/throw stuff. Typical rates are around $45-50/hr per person. You'd still need a container to throw all the junk in.

You can also check on taskrabbit to see if someone on there can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: