Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 11:49 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I get that people have preferences and there are pros/cons to living in Dallas proper, versus the suburbs. My main problem with the suburbs is that they feel very selfish, in terms of how they are designed. What I mean by that is that one house occupies a lot more space, in general, and, because of that, everything is a lot more spread out in the suburbs. Because everything is spread out, it all requires a lot more infrastructure to serve less people.

More power lines, more plumbing, more roads, etc.. all to service less people. I just find it a little short sighted and not sustainable in the long run. I know not everyone wants to live in dense/urban environments, but, for a growing city, that just seems to be the way the way that makes sense. There is less infrastructure to build and, therefore, less to maintain, and public transportation/walking/biking become a lot more feasible.

I'm happy that people enjoy living in Prosper. In my experience, it seems like some people are moving there thinking it will become the next Plano/Frisco, but I really think they lack the proper infrastructure and are too sprawled out, so anyone moving there thinking they are getting in early are going to be in for a rude awakening, in my opinion.
Thing is, the idea that people could live denser could be applied to any city, including Dallas and most US cities. And any cutoff between "selfish" and "not selfish" seems very arbitrary, especially if it is done in a way that Dallas is on one side of the line while its suburbs are on the other. After all, Prosper is a lot closer to Dallas, in build, than Dallas is to San Francisco, which, along with every other major US city not named New York, is closer to Dallas than to Paris or Seoul, two densely populated cities in the developed world that function well off despite how crammed people may be to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 11:11 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,032 times
I think most people do not initially realize that Prosper is 22 square miles,it is a town by covenants and it will never by called the city of Prosper.The major majority of houses here are on lots between 1/4-1 acre.I personally think that is the sweet spot for lot size.For example,I would not want a 6,000 sq ft lot,but I also would not want 2 acres.

The build out population at this point is estimated to be roughly 60,000.The amount of new home building happening here is extreme.There is not a ton of open space that is not already under construction,or spoken for.I suspect build out will happen a lot sooner than predicted.The only thing Prosper has in common with a city like Frisco is that it is located nextdoor to the north.

We chose to build new in Prosper years ago for a number of reasons.This town has far exceeded my expectations.I do not like the weather here in Texas (I prefer the cold) and I am not a fan of the topography.The only reason we would make a move would be for colder weather and more preferable topography.It would be difficult to leave Prosper regardless,because we like it here that much.

Prosper currently reminds me of a mix between Southlake and Flower Mound/Highland Village.As it grows I think it will maintain that feel and eventually be just that...A mix between Southlake and Flower Mound/Highland Village.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:00 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I get that people have preferences and there are pros/cons to living in Dallas proper, versus the suburbs. My main problem with the suburbs is that they feel very selfish, in terms of how they are designed. What I mean by that is that one house occupies a lot more space, in general, and, because of that, everything is a lot more spread out in the suburbs. Because everything is spread out, it all requires a lot more infrastructure to serve less people.

More power lines, more plumbing, more roads, etc.. all to service less people. I just find it a little short sighted and not sustainable in the long run. I know not everyone wants to live in dense/urban environments, but, for a growing city, that just seems to be the way the way that makes sense. There is less infrastructure to build and, therefore, less to maintain, and public transportation/walking/biking become a lot more feasible.

I'm happy that people enjoy living in Prosper. In my experience, it seems like some people are moving there thinking it will become the next Plano/Frisco, but I really think they lack the proper infrastructure and are too sprawled out, so anyone moving there thinking they are getting in early are going to be in for a rude awakening, in my opinion.
I disagree on lot size. Most new subdivisions out here in Collin have smaller lot sizes than most SFH areas of Dallas proper. Now Dallas has denser areas as far as multiple housing units but go to single family neighborhoods and lot sizes in general are bigger than your avg Frisco neighborhood. One of the reasons Frisco does feel soulless IMHO. Prosper started out as more of an estate style suburb but newer developments are looking like Frisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: