Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 02:08 PM

964 posts, read 877,219 times

Advertisements

Yes. Because you knew some people that moved here means the masses were moving here. Let me know when you understand why RE prices were stagnant here for 20+ years. Supply and demand. Prices are now going up because more people are demanding houses. Why are more people moving here in such masses? Evolution of the area.

You are right you two who don't understand basic supply and demand concepts have it down because you knew some families that moved here. So many people were moving here demanding homes and yet prices were steady at a very low amount. Yeah thats what happens when there is mass demand. Prices stay the same or stagnate.

Next time you 2 should do some due diligence and look at populations of cities like Prosper, Frisco, Mckinney, Allen, Southlake, etc in the 90s and 80s and when you figure out they have grown exponentially you will get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 03:01 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
I think people are getting a bit confused here. Pricing is a function not only of demand but also of supply. The massive growth rates are not uncommon in the DFW metroplex, and have been on-going. For example Plano had approximately 101k in 1988, and 200k by 1996. It gained 50k population in 3 years, between 1992-1996.

Frisco has not matched that growth rate in the current timeframe, because building is much more constrained. DFW used to build about 50k houses per year, now it's only about 25k-30k. That pretty well accounts for rising home prices. For Frisco to match Plano, they would have had to be passing 200k in population roughly this year, but they are approximately 15k away. So being "tired" of companies moving here, even though growth is roughly the same rate and is slightly more distributed, is really a function of age and perception, not necessarily of pricing or freeway traffic or any other thing.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I think people are getting a bit confused here. Pricing is a function not only of demand but also of supply. The massive growth rates are not uncommon in the DFW metroplex, and have been on-going. For example Plano had approximately 101k in 1988, and 200k by 1996. It gained 50k population in 3 years, between 1992-1996.

Frisco has not matched that growth rate in the current timeframe, because building is much more constrained. DFW used to build about 50k houses per year, now it's only about 25k-30k. That pretty well accounts for rising home prices. For Frisco to match Plano, they would have had to be passing 200k roughly this year, but they are approximately 15k away. So being "tired" of companies moving here, even though growth is roughly the same rate and is slightly more distributed, is really a function of age and perception, not necessarily of pricing or freeway traffic or any other thing.
You have to look at DFW as a whole. Plano was the up and coming area. Now there are 5-10 of those. In 1996 all the cities listed and many more were nothing. No one I knew growing up or in my early adult years every would have considered TX or DFW. Now many do. Very few big companies in certain sectors would have considered DFW in the 80s and 90s. Now regardless of sector DFW gets a look at the very least and high consideration most likely.

The fact of the matter is supply and demand has no emotion. If demand exceeds supply prices go up. Demand has gone up exponentially here in the last 5 years.

I get why. DFW could not compete with LA, Chicago, SF, NYC, Boston, and even Miami as an international cosmopolitan city in the 80s and early 90s. Now it can. Much of that is due to people from those cities moving here in masses and from large companies moving here in masses. It is an exciting time to be in DFW with growth getting this city to where it needs to be.

I drive all the time from Southlake to Plano, Presby Dallas, Frisco, UTSW, Methodist, and the VA and have no issues with traffic. Sure it is slightly more congested bu t never more than about 45-50 minutes. They have done a good job with the toll roads and highways

Old 12-18-2018, 04:44 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Yes. Because you knew some people that moved here means the masses were moving here. Let me know when you understand why RE prices were stagnant here for 20+ years. Supply and demand. Prices are now going up because more people are demanding houses. Why are more people moving here in such masses? Evolution of the area.

You are right you two who don't understand basic supply and demand concepts have it down because you knew some families that moved here. So many people were moving here demanding homes and yet prices were steady at a very low amount. Yeah thats what happens when there is mass demand. Prices stay the same or stagnate.

Next time you 2 should do some due diligence and look at populations of cities like Prosper, Frisco, Mckinney, Allen, Southlake, etc in the 90s and 80s and when you figure out they have grown exponentially you will get it.

DFW population (metro area):

1970: 1.555M
1980: 2.974M
1990: 3.885M
2000: 5.221M
2010: 6.426M
2017: 7.399M

Should be about 8M by 2020. Insane when you stop and think about it.

Anyway, DFW has been growing dramatically for a very long time, but probably hitting the fastest rate ever in the last couple of years.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:51 PM

You start getting near that 5M mark and the expansion just seems to explode. That is when demand seems to be exceeding supply and as usual you always follow the money. Money started flowing into this area around the early 2000s and it has been a roller coaster ride since.

To me they expand the right way. Focus on middle to upper middle class suburbs with good schools and a good freeway system and the rest follows.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:04 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
You have to look at DFW as a whole. Plano was the up and coming area. Now there are 5-10 of those. In 1996 all the cities listed and many more were nothing. No one I knew growing up or in my early adult years every would have considered TX or DFW. Now many do. Very few big companies in certain sectors would have considered DFW in the 80s and 90s. Now regardless of sector DFW gets a look at the very least and high consideration most likely.

The fact of the matter is supply and demand has no emotion. If demand exceeds supply prices go up. Demand has gone up exponentially here in the last 5 years.

I get why. DFW could not compete with LA, Chicago, SF, NYC, Boston, and even Miami as an international cosmopolitan city in the 80s and early 90s. Now it can. Much of that is due to people from those cities moving here in masses and from large companies moving here in masses. It is an exciting time to be in DFW with growth getting this city to where it needs to be.

I drive all the time from Southlake to Plano, Presby Dallas, Frisco, UTSW, Methodist, and the VA and have no issues with traffic. Sure it is slightly more congested bu t never more than about 45-50 minutes. They have done a good job with the toll roads and highways
This isn't entirely true. There were more areas than just Plano growing back then. The Mid-Cities were still filling out, and you have places like Garland and Arlington that were experiencing a lot of growth. DFW (and Texas in general) is a domestic migration magnet, even back then (really since the 70s). People from all over the country were moving there. DFW wasn't as a big of an international draw back then though. That's a more recent development.

See for yourself: https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...rlington%2C_TX

I understand why some people get upset at the DFW newcomers that think DFW started from when they arriving into town. There's way more history of growth to the place and it wasn't just discovered int he 2010s. Seriously, Exxon moved to Irving in the 80s...

Old 12-19-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
This isn't entirely true. There were more areas than just Plano growing back then. The Mid-Cities were still filling out, and you have places like Garland and Arlington that were experiencing a lot of growth. DFW (and Texas in general) is a domestic migration magnet, even back then (really since the 70s). People from all over the country were moving there. DFW wasn't as a big of an international draw back then though. That's a more recent development.

See for yourself: https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...rlington%2C_TX

I understand why some people get upset at the DFW newcomers that think DFW started from when they arriving into town. There's way more history of growth to the place and it wasn't just discovered int he 2010s. Seriously, Exxon moved to Irving in the 80s...
What I am amazed at is, again, how the masses from the coasts now consider DFW a viable alternative. No doubt DFW had (and always has) a migration from middle America. Energy is a different ballgame and has always also been TX centric. If you would have told someone a major car company would move here in the 80s or 90s people would have laughed. A japanese one and people would have thought you were nuts.

I can tell you DFW (and TX in general) was though of as a sleepy hicktown by the coasts. That is the reality. No longer the case anymore.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:23 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
I can tell you DFW (and TX in general) was though of as a sleepy hicktown by the coasts. That is the reality. No longer the case anymore.
Oh, so I guess we who were already happily and successfully living here without all the horrible, ridiculously rapid growing pains should THANK you and all your coastal brethren for swooping in to SAVE all of us sleepy, poor, hicks and FIX our national reputation?!?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Oh, so I guess we who were already happily and successfully living here without all the horrible, ridiculously rapid growing pains should THANK you and all your coastal brethren for swooping in to SAVE all of us sleepy, poor, hicks and FIX our national reputation?!?
I didn't say anything about that. i never said you should be happy it has turned into this or upset. We didn't save Dallas nor did it need to be saved. It simply has evolved into this. It is painfully obvious you can see almost any multi national company now considers Dallas at the top of its list when deciding where to go. It is also obvious from all the CA, NY transplants that they consider DFW a viable alternative since they have come here. I will say anyone who stays in a place they don't like gets exactly what they deserve. I'll repeat DFW does not need any of us and in fact I would argue that I need a place like DFW a lot more than it needs me.

To me it is one of the best places to live in the US and is so because of what it has become, not because of what it was. You are allowed to not like what it has become but if you do not like what it has become why stay? I did not like what the Bay Area and SoCal have become so I left.

Funny but I guarantee you have an opinion of what SoCal and NoCal are today, but are mad at me because I (and others on the coast)had an opinion of what Dallas is and was. In fact you have an opinion of what DFW is today but are appalled that I have an opinion of what DFW was. Hypocrite much?

Last edited by kyam11; 12-19-2018 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-19-2018, 09:40 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about that.
That's how you and many other transplants to DFW from the coasts constantly come off, though. VERY snobbish and condescending. And of course, it's not ALL of the transplants, but there are so many now with your attitude that it is REALLY getting disgusting for the locals and natives. If you don't get that by now, then there's really nothing else to say to you regarding the topic. Especially since you will just keep spreading your ignorant drivel anyway, with your snooty nose held high up in the air and your imaginary "S" on your chest proudly puffed out behind your keyboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas