Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 11:05 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Ok name some high tech companies that moved here in early 90s. I can name tons that started in CA and or decided to stay there. I'll wait for a list of 50 because i can easily name 50 in CA
And now you change the goal posts and want me to name 50 tech companies because you can name 50 in CA? Did someone say that DFW had an equal tech industry to CA? That's not how this works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 AM

964 posts, read 877,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
And now you change the goal posts and want me to name 50 tech companies because you can name 50 in CA? Did someone say that DFW had an equal tech industry to CA? That's not how this works.
Of course you miss the point. Naming outlier situations is irrelevant. Mass (learn what mass means) migration has occurred recently with companies and people.

Mass migration for people here is diverse when it comes to occupations. The only way that occurs is that companies that have these diverse types of jobs also come here. Our unemployment is low which means the trends are that the people who have migrated here have been able to find jobs that fit here. Do you think they simply had the same number and types of jobs 15-25 years ago and just left them un filled until people moved here? No more and more diverse type people moved here which allowed for more and more diverse companies to move here.

I can tell you in my industry alone DFW was not an option for more than a couple people in my position. Now there are many many types of positions with many many different (but similar type) companies. My wife same thing although she retired 5 years ago. Multiple friends did not have TX options 15 years ago. Many do now have a large number of the same type of options in TX. These are finance, high tech, specialized management, medical, professional etc type positions. A ton of these options are companies who have satellite offices or satellite HQs here. It is not a secret that the number of large and small companies who have offices in and around DFW is exponentially higher than it was in 1995.

Last edited by kyam11; 12-19-2018 at 11:18 AM..

Old 12-19-2018, 01:12 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
Quote:
The strong technology business presence began in the north Dallas suburb of Richardson in the 1950's. In 1956, Texas Instruments selected the east side of U.S. 75 just north of Interstate 635, for its corporate campus. In 1957, Collins Radio, a well-established electronics company from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, built the first building of what would become a multi-building campus on a 400-acre site north of Texas Instruments near US 75 and Arapaho Road. Both companies attracted a cadre of engineering talent and eventually spawned a number of new technology-based enterprises. Collins Radio was acquired by Rockwell in 1971.

The pace accelerated even further in the 1980's with the deregulation of the telecommunications industry. First came MCI, whose microwave network relied on the products and technical expertise of Collins Radio/Rockwell, which was acquired by Alcatel in 1991. At that time, Nortel, Fujitsu and Ericsson created major operations in Richardson to benefit from the technical expertise and attractive cost-of-living that have made this region a world-class center for both telecommunications and technology businesses.

Today, the Dallas/Fort Worth region is one of the largest technology centers in the United States. A variety of high-tech companies in the region employ about 230,000 people. Telecom, IT biomedical, semiconductor and nanotechnology are all represented in the area of Dallas/Fort Worth that has come to be known as the Telecom Corridor.
https://techtitans.org/history/

Old 12-19-2018, 01:25 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Thanks for posting some history that'll hopefully educate some of the newcomers that believe this has never happened before in DFW.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Thanks for posting some history that'll hopefully educate some of the newcomers that believe this has never happened before in DFW.
Let's walk into almost any business building in Frisco, Plano, Richardson, etc and see how many companies listed were here in 1995. Bet few if any. They either did not exist or they were too small to have a Dallas regional office. I work in the medical industry which is not very robust and yet a number of companies I work with have offices in Dallas that had literally 0 presence in DFW even 10 years ago.

Wellness companies didn't even exist 10 years ago and I can think of about 5 alone that have their HQ in DFW. I can drive down the street and pick stores (food, clothing, household goods) by the handful that did not exist in DFW or have any presence in DFW that are here now and many of those have regional offices (professionals) here. Shall I name a few or 50. Pretty much anyone can name 50 in their own suburb most likely.

A substantial number of big law firms (e.g DLA Piper, Latham and Watkins, etc) now have regional offices in DFW because of the Eastern District and because more and more HQs are here. These are people and jobs that would hot have been here before because these regional offices did not exist before. It was LA or NY.

Last edited by kyam11; 12-19-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 01:42 PM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Let's walk into almost any business building in Frisco, Plano, Richardson, etc and see how many companies listed were here in 1995. Bet few if any. They either did not exist or they were too small to have a Dallas regional office. I work in the medical industry which is not very robust and yet a number of companies I work with have offices in Dallas that had literally 0 presence in DFW even 10 years ago.

Wellness companies didn't even exist 10 years ago and I can think of about 5 alone that have their HQ in DFW. I can drive down the street and pick stores (food, clothing, household goods) by the handful that did not exist in DFW or have any presence in DFW that are here now and many of those have regional offices (professionals) here. Shall I name a few or 50. Pretty much anyone can name 50 in their own suburb most likely.

A substantial number of big law firms now have regional offices in DFW because of the Eastern District. These are people and jobs that would hot have been here before because these regional offices did not exist.
Too small? I guess you are not aware how many people got laid off when the telecom, etc. crashed.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Too small? I guess you are not aware how many people got laid off when the telecom, etc. crashed.
Do you not understand how to read?

We can walk into almost any office building in Plano, Richardson, Frisco and find multiple companies who now have either HQ, Regional HQs, or Regional offices that are newly established in the last 15 years. If you actually did some due diligence you would see the companies did not exist or were too small to have one of these offices. Does that mean that there was not a company big enough to also have an office here? Nope and I never said that.

A perfect example would be In N Out. In N Out had 0 people in the DFW that worked for them 15 years ago. Now they have multiple locations and a few regional personnel that now work here. Rinse and repeat for many companies. I can name multiple hospital systems that had the same situation, multiple medical companies also.

Again look up the 10 biggest wellness companies in the US. 20 years ago 0 of them were here. Now I know of at least 5 (friends work for them) and my guess is there are a few more. I can name other cities close to as big where they have no presence.

Frozen Yogurt- 20 years ago very few if any had a presence here . Now DFW is a market big enough to warrant regional offices for some of the larger chains.

Restaurants - a number of restaurants that have grown over the past 20 years have regional offices in DFW where they had none 20 years ago.

How many Jersey Mikes were in DFW in 1990? How many now. Think they have regional personnel? Bet they do.

Smith and Nephew did not have a regional office in DFW in 1995. They do now.

Last edited by kyam11; 12-19-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 02:00 PM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Do you not understand how to read?

We can walk into almost any office building in Plano, Richardson, Frisco and find multiple companies who now have either HQ, Regional HQs, or Regional offices that are newly established in the last 15 years. If you actually did some due diligence you would see the companies did not exist or were too small to have one of these offices. Does that mean that there was not a company big enough to also have an office here? Nope and I never said that.

A perfect example would be In N Out. In N Out had 0 people in the DFW that worked for them 15 years ago. Now they have multiple locations and a few regional personnel that now work here. Rinse and repeat for many companies. I can name multiple hospital systems that had the same situation, multiple medical companies also.

Again look up the 10 biggest wellness companies in the US. 20 years ago 0 of them were here. Now I know of at least 5 (friends work for them) and my guess is there are a few more. I can name other cities close to as big where they have no presence.

Frozen Yogurt- 20 years ago very few if any had a presence here . Now DFW is a market big enough to warrant regional offices for some of the larger chains.

You can walk into wherever you want. You mentioned high tech relocations into the area. It was pointed to you that the major ones were here way before the current cycle.

Next time make a distinction between high tech and fast food.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
You can walk into wherever you want. You mentioned high tech relocations into the area. It was pointed to you that the major ones were here way before the current cycle.

Next time make a distinction between high tech and fast food.
Major tech is Microsoft, SAP, Oracle, Apple, IBM, Amazon, Google, Intel, Cisco, Qualcomm, EMC, Xerox, Danaher, Ebay, Thermo Fisher, Western Digital, EBay, TI (Obviously this one) etc.

How many had offices in DFW in 1995? How many have offices today?

Apple
Alphabet
Microsoft
Tencent
Facebook
Samsung
Intel
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing
Cisco
Oracle
IBM
NVIDIA
SAP
Adobe
Texas Instruments
Broadcom
Accenture
Tata Consultancy Services
Salesforce
Qualcomm
ASML
Sony
Micron Technology
Applied Materials
Nintendo

Also have a ton of friends in the VC world. Even they are starting to see as companies grow from SV they are considering DFW an area they want to regionalize to.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...apital-dollars

Think DFW attracted the 4th most of the VC money in 1990? Not even close. While some of this is surely Austin some of it is DFW, but you keep thinking DFW hasn't changed at all. Nope it started growing massively in 1991

http://www.solanosbdc.org/sites/defa.../trends_vc.pdf

Again I have enough friends in the Bay Area who would have had little to no opportunity in DFW when we entered the workforce in 1995 until about 2005. Now if they really want to move here they can find a number of jobs that fit their criteria. That is do to the massive shift.

Last edited by kyam11; 12-19-2018 at 02:16 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 05:02 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Major tech is Microsoft, SAP, Oracle, Apple, IBM, Amazon, Google, Intel, Cisco, Qualcomm, EMC, Xerox, Danaher, Ebay, Thermo Fisher, Western Digital, EBay, TI (Obviously this one) etc.

How many had offices in DFW in 1995? How many have offices today?

Apple
Alphabet
Microsoft
Tencent
Facebook
Samsung
Intel
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing
Cisco
Oracle
IBM
NVIDIA
SAP
Adobe
Texas Instruments
Broadcom
Accenture
Tata Consultancy Services
Salesforce
Qualcomm
ASML
Sony
Micron Technology
Applied Materials
Nintendo

Also have a ton of friends in the VC world. Even they are starting to see as companies grow from SV they are considering DFW an area they want to regionalize to.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...apital-dollars

Think DFW attracted the 4th most of the VC money in 1990? Not even close. While some of this is surely Austin some of it is DFW, but you keep thinking DFW hasn't changed at all. Nope it started growing massively in 1991

http://www.solanosbdc.org/sites/defa.../trends_vc.pdf

Again I have enough friends in the Bay Area who would have had little to no opportunity in DFW when we entered the workforce in 1995 until about 2005. Now if they really want to move here they can find a number of jobs that fit their criteria. That is do to the massive shift.

Jack Kilby patented the first legit integrated circuit here in dusty backwater Dallas in 1959.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas