Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:45 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times

Advertisements

I would recommend you look on Trip Advisor for things to do in the DFW area. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

They also have a discussion board where you can ask questions and read recommendations from other travelers:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...i75-Texas.html

In Dallas proper, the best thing for tourists is the JFK museum, The Sixth Floor, in downtown Dallas. There are also some good museums, such as the Perot Science Museum, and the Dallas Museum of Art. Dallas also has a thriving restaurant scene with many excellent restaurants.

You might also enjoy a visit to nearby Grapevine for its Christmas events and decorations: https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/ch...ital-of-texas/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 12:03 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,250 times
There’s enough to do. Dallas Stars play Chicago on Thursday night and then play the islanders on Sunday night. The cowboys play the bucs on the 23rd. There’s the aquarium. There’s the zoo. Plenty of shopping. Plenty of bars and things in uptown. Plenty of unique eating options. Six flags? Wolf lodge? Elm street tattoo. Deena has a shop who was also on spikes ink master. I mean if you can’t find anything to do in Dallas your seriously not trying. The weather here will feel incredibly nice compared to Iowa this time of year.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 5,159 times
Thanks for the links! very helpful.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler_mad View Post
Thank you for the feedback.

Well looks like the weather this coming week in Dallas is going to be fantastic. 50s and 60s for us would be great weather, since we are used here to 10s and 20s.
We are considering Dallas because we have never been to Texas before, and we have traveled quite a bit, mostly east coast, and Chicago.

Nope no family in the area, and no business meeting either. Just for fun, and get away from the cold for a bit now.
We are actually looking to locate to a different place in a several months. Phoenix and Denver are also on our list to visit, but maybe next trips.
Is AZ (Phoenix) really more fun than Dallas? Doesn't Dallas have a better urban life?
Phoenix for me is a no-go due to the heat. (Dallas is too hot for me too, but that is a whole different story!) Phoenix does have awesome hiking and mountain climbing/biking and scenery that is lacking in Dallas. However, of the 3 options listed: DENVER DENVER DENVER there is just no contest. I have spent quite a bit of time in all three (lived in Dallas and Denver with long stays in PHX due to job)

To parlay on the discussion of "uniquely Texas things to do", my opinion- and I am likely to get slammed- is there is no such thing. Anything like a cattle drive or rodeo or whatever you may consider "uniquely Texan" is a ridiculous display of an antiquated and overblown-even-when-it-really-existed activity. What I'm saying is this: In Boston, people really do eat lobster and worship the Patriots; In LA, people really do surf; in Texas, there are no cowboys, and there are cattle ranches in every state so that is not unique. Rodeos are cruel to the animals, period, so if you are an animal lover, you will not be happy there.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:01 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
Dallas is a reasonable drive from Iowa if the Iowa roads are ok. My former in-laws lived in the Spencer, Iowa area and we had a few traumatic road trips during December when we went to their farm for holiday visits. There are lots of fun things to do in the DFW area and Dallas is definitely more fun than Phoenix unless you love hiking. Good desert hiking in Phoenix, in general bad hiking in the metromess. Denver is better than both places but for living, more expensive real estate and taxes.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:19 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
To parlay on the discussion of "uniquely Texas things to do", my opinion- and I am likely to get slammed- is there is no such thing. Anything like a cattle drive or rodeo or whatever you may consider "uniquely Texan" is a ridiculous display of an antiquated and overblown-even-when-it-really-existed activity. What I'm saying is this: In Boston, people really do eat lobster and worship the Patriots; In LA, people really do surf; in Texas, there are no cowboys, and there are cattle ranches in every state so that is not unique. Rodeos are cruel to the animals, period, so if you are an animal lover, you will not be happy there.
Oh wow. Go out to a rural area, such as the cattle sale barn in Eastland, and tell those guys there are no such thing as real cowboys. You better be able to run fast... Yes, there are ranches in every state, but we have some legendary ranches here in Texas: 6666, King Ranch, etc.

And as for rodeos being cruel to animals, that is totally not even the truth. Those bucking horses and bulls are VERY valuable, and the stock contractors that own them give them excellent care, many times better than regular horse owners give their riding horses. Those animals are their livelihood, so they are not going to abuse them!

Old 12-18-2018, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 933 times
Man, a lot of buzzkill responses. My east coast friends are always chomping at the bit to visit Dallas during their October - March stretch of brutal weather. There's plenty to do, especially if you like to eat and drink.

OP, if you're looking to be outside and have a good time - walk the Katy Trail and land at the Katy Trail Icehouse for a few drinks. Lower Greenville is another happening area to explore - I recommend the rooftop at HG Sply on a nice day.

Klyde Warren Park is surrounded by food trucks and a strong group of museums, if that's your thing (Dallas Museum of Art, Perot Museum, Nasher Sculpture Center).

Always enjoy running, biking, or just walking around White Rock Lake.

Northpark is a zoo this time of year, but has all your shopping needs covered.

BBQ? Try out Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum or Lockhart Smokehouse in the Bishop Arts District. Tex-Mex? Can't go wrong with Javier's (high end gourmet), Avila's (low-key authentic), or Meso-Maya (somewhere in between).

Hope you enjoy Dallas!

Old 12-20-2018, 09:32 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Oh wow. Go out to a rural area, such as the cattle sale barn in Eastland, and tell those guys there are no such thing as real cowboys. You better be able to run fast... Yes, there are ranches in every state, but we have some legendary ranches here in Texas: 6666, King Ranch, etc.

And as for rodeos being cruel to animals, that is totally not even the truth. Those bucking horses and bulls are VERY valuable, and the stock contractors that own them give them excellent care, many times better than regular horse owners give their riding horses. Those animals are their livelihood, so they are not going to abuse them!
So the tiny baby cows WANT to have their four little legs tied together as they are THROWN DOWN onto their sides? I didn't realize that maybe my toddler would like that too

OP- uniquely Dallas would be sports and shopping, of which there is Puh-Lenty!
I cannot say enough good things about the 6th Floor Museum- I could go there every day
Just did the 12 days of Christmas at the Arboretum and it is well worth it- gorgeous. Doing Dallas Zoo lights this weekend and have heard good things about that too. Both are on display through Jan 6 I believe

Old 12-21-2018, 06:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
The G Bush Presidential Library at SMU is extremely interesting. So much goes on that we never hear about because it's not in the day's 10 min news of a president. I had a MUCH better opinion of him after visiting.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:19 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,446,768 times
I think this guy's views will help you out about Dallas. Go check his channel out and subscribe. Its the most unbiased opinion coming from a former NYer who's been here for two years on today.

https://youtu.be/WOcul0M1zWM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas