Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:43 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,204,994 times

Advertisements

Well, maybe I should have been clearer.

Without saying it out loud, you will find the same behavior in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Corpus, Tucson, Yuma, San Diego, Los Angeles.

Any common factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 09:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,143,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, maybe I should have been clearer.

Without saying it out loud, you will find the same behavior in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Corpus, Tucson, Yuma, San Diego, Los Angeles.

Any common factor?
I'm pretty sure I know what you're trying to say.

Can't say I disagree....

Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM

5,253 posts, read 6,354,075 times
Quote:
Baltimore has insane traffic, people do not drive like that there.
Baltimore and Dallas are rated similarly in traffic, but Dallas has close to 4 times the number of road lane miles and 4X the number of highway lane miles as Baltimore, and only 2X the number of miles traveled. More lane miles and less driving equals less congested roadways which equals higher speeds which equals more injuries and deaths. Wouldn't surprise me if the actual number of accidents on TX roadways is lower, but the severity of each individual accident is worse due to higher speeds. Boston for example has way more minor crashes than Dallas.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:59 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,076,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Or are you happy to see your country turning into a third-world hellhole?
People from third world countries everywhere are ROFL @ that one.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:26 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,228,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
It’s really not. I moved to Dallas from Baltimore four years ago and although Baltimore has insane traffic, people do not drive like that there. Texas has well over 3000 motor FATALITIES a year. That is INSANE. The entire country should not have that kind of statistic. But I fear for my life every day on the roads here. Texans seem to just accept it.
More people have died in a similar number of year than US casualties in the Viet Nam War.

I think the Underlying issue is the use of the word "Accident" it implies that "nothing more could be done"

The reality is lots of things can be done. On city streets if you can lower the car speed by 10 mph across the board you would save thousands of lives. Arterial roads are very deadly. Speeds are high and there is lots of turning.

Narrowing non highway roads often make them safer, people drive slower.

You are more likely to be killed or seriously hurt by a stranger in the safest suburban town from a crime perspective than you are to be killed by a stranger in a bad part of town.

People in Frisco might be afraid to drive down to Cedar Crest, but the irony is the drive is what they should be afraid of, not the destination.

With all the outrage about school shootings most parents seem unaware that their kid is much more likely to be killed as their parents drive them to school than by any school shooter situation.

Driving is dangerous everywhere, but it is particularly bad here in Texas: we have some of the highest insurance rates in the country.

The issue is: as soon as you begin to question why we let so many people die on the roads, it gets shut down around here as a

"Well, thats just the way it is"

"We can't all take the train"

or they say "Cars are getting safer" when really, it's largely an infrastructure design issue.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:27 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,147,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
Tons of illegal aliens in East Arlington. Saw one smash the back of a car in front of it and just drive off full speed. Don’t drive around that area anymore.
Rampant behavior in El Paso.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 AM

19,553 posts, read 17,824,718 times
Quote:
It’s really not. I moved to Dallas from Baltimore four years ago and although Baltimore has insane traffic, people do not drive like that there. Texas has well over 3000 motor FATALITIES a year. That is INSANE. The entire country should not have that kind of statistic. But I fear for my life every day on the roads here. Texans seem to just accept it.
Your fear is greatly misplaced. Texas - Institute for Highway Safety 2017 data - was only slightly above the national average in driving death rates by population and per miles driven.

If you truly fear for your life everyday you should stop driving until you've taken a driving course or find some other way to develop some driving confidence.

Finally Baltimore - every single year - ranks right near the very worst in something the insurance industry calls, "crash frequency." In any given year the average driver in Baltimore is well over TWICE as likely to be involved in an accident than counterparts in Dallas.

So essentially you've got all this backwards.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
More people have died in a similar number of year than US casualties in the Viet Nam War.

I think the Underlying issue is the use of the word "Accident" it implies that "nothing more could be done"

The reality is lots of things can be done. On city streets if you can lower the car speed by 10 mph across the board you would save thousands of lives. Arterial roads are very deadly. Speeds are high and there is lots of turning.

Narrowing non highway roads often make them safer, people drive slower.

You are more likely to be killed or seriously hurt by a stranger in the safest suburban town from a crime perspective than you are to be killed by a stranger in a bad part of town.

People in Frisco might be afraid to drive down to Cedar Crest, but the irony is the drive is what they should be afraid of, not the destination.

With all the outrage about school shootings most parents seem unaware that their kid is much more likely to be killed as their parents drive them to school than by any school shooter situation.

Driving is dangerous everywhere, but it is particularly bad here in Texas: we have some of the highest insurance rates in the country.

The issue is: as soon as you begin to question why we let so many people die on the roads, it gets shut down around here as a

"Well, thats just the way it is"

"We can't all take the train"

or they say "Cars are getting safer" when really, it's largely an infrastructure design issue.

1). Driving is not, "particularly bad" in Texas from a safety perspective. Vs. the nation Texas rates near the middle across just about every important driving related safety area. In fact all states that border Texas have significantly higher auto related fatality and serious crash rates than we do. The closest in auto death rates per population is Louisiana at +23% over Texas, NM is +38%.

2). Car insurance is high here for three key reasons:
A). We have a tremendously high number of uninsured and underinsured drivers, the cost burdens imposed by these cadres are significantly socialized into the insurance costs of those who actually buy proper insurance.

B). Texans drive a high/large number of expensive vehicles.

C). Texans suffer exceptionally high dollar amounts of weather related auto damage - wind, flooding and especially hail.

The bit about one being safer in bad areas vs. good areas is one of those goofy claims that falls into the "true/lies" category. We live in a very nice area in North Dallas. While it's true I'm more likely to be shot and killed in my front yard today than I am to be shot and killed in the Five-Point area that's only because I won't be in Five-Points today. The fact is smoothed for exposure time one is less safe in less safe areas. Any attempt to deflect from that is some combination of dishonest and ignorant.

Regarding your claims that we should slow down highway drivers for safety sake. And I'll grant this area is really complex but I have to question the theory generally when Florida has much lower (about 15% lower) average posted highway speeds and actual average speeds even lower than that and higher auto fatality rates (about 13% higher per population).

Further, Texas has opened a good number of high speed lane miles over the last number of years and those miles have been very safe........not the bloodbath predicted by anti-car cadres.

Last edited by EDS_; 01-17-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 01-17-2019, 09:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,506,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Your fear is greatly misplaced. Texas - Institute for Highway Safety 2017 data - was only slightly above the national average in driving death rates by population and per miles driven.

If you truly fear for your life everyday you should stop driving until you've taken a driving course or find some other way to develop some driving confidence.

Finally Baltimore - every single year - ranks right near the very worst in something the insurance industry calls, "crash frequency." In any given year the average driver in Baltimore is well over TWICE as likely to be involved in an accident than counterparts in Dallas.

So essentially you've got all this backwards.
I'm not concerned with my own driving, although I gave up my motorcycle after moving here when I realized just how insanely people here drive. I have taken driver safety courses as a cyclist and have never had so much as a speeding ticket. Again, having over 3000 fatalities due to car accidents in a year is crazy. Yes, I fear for my life on 75 daily but the reality is I have to drive or be in a vehicle someone else is driving. The speed limits, the lack of law enforcement and general poor driving habits of folks who cross multiple lanes with no warning, no turn signal, etc. are the problem. That people accept it is disturbing.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I'm not concerned with my own driving, although I gave up my motorcycle after moving here when I realized just how insanely people here drive. I have taken driver safety courses as a cyclist and have never had so much as a speeding ticket. Again, having over 3000 fatalities due to car accidents in a year is crazy. Yes, I fear for my life on 75 daily but the reality is I have to drive or be in a vehicle someone else is driving. The speed limits, the lack of law enforcement and general poor driving habits of folks who cross multiple lanes with no warning, no turn signal, etc. are the problem. That people accept it is disturbing.
What's disturbing to me is people claiming drivers here are particularly bad when overwhelming evidence indicates otherwise.

If you can't/won't/don't understand that driving here is only slightly more dangerous per mile or per population than the national average per state and per peer city you are being obtuse and emotional. The fact is there are 21 other states and countless cities and towns between a little and whole lot less safe per population for drivers relative to Texas or DFW or Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas